Is Chicken Paleo?

Options
Burt_Huttz
Burt_Huttz Posts: 1,612 Member
So I was doing some research and it looks like chicken (gallus gallus domesticus) only really began being used for food in like 2,500 B.C. or so.

Earliest, long-shot speculation indicates the possibility that fowl were domestically cultivated in China as early as 6,000 B.C. Considering that this is four millennia (4,000 years) after the end of the paleolithic era, are Chicken even paleo?

Replies

• amcook4
    amcook4 Posts: 561 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I honestly doubt that anything we eat today is the same as the cavemen. Due to constant genetic modification (by selective breeding) what we now eat isn't the same as what we ate 200 years ago, what was eaten 200 years ago isn't the same as what was eaten 400 years ago and so on.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    bush meat only...
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    I know roast duck with the mango salsa is Paleo. Isn't that what the Geico caveman ordered?
  • Burt_Huttz
    Options

I looked and it says chicken is paleo because it's lean meat, which doesn't seem to make sense if chicken didn't exist until 4,000 years after the end of the upper paleolithic.

Its sources also said that grains aren't paleo because they're unhealthy for you and have glutens and phytates and lectins. But Scientific American[1] contends that human consumption of grains was normal at least 23,000 years ago and as much as 105,000 years ago. Even the low end of that range spans well into the paleolithic era.

[1] http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/observations/2009/12/17/humans-feasting-on-grains-for-at-least-100000-years/
  • McEneny
    McEneny Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Humans for sure didnt hunt birds that were similar to chickens.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    What part of the world are we talking about here? 4000 years ago, each part of the world had a different selection of food available.
  • Burt_Huttz
    Options
    What part of the world are we talking about here? 4000 years ago, each part of the world had a different selection of food available.

Well, the whole world. I believe 4,000 years ago was Neolithic - 10,000 years ago was the end of the paleolithic era. But globally evidence of domestic chicken cultivation and consumption does not exist until 2,500 BC or disputedly 6,000 BC at the earliest. So . . . anywhere in the globe.

But also, I don't know that the paleolithic era is a geographically-distinguished item - it's a time frame in global history to my knowledge. So I'm not sure if there are regional parameters to diets during the paleolithic era.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Chicken.gif
  • jasonmh630
    jasonmh630 Posts: 2,850 Member
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    Chicken.gif

James Spader. WIN.
  • Izzwoz
    Izzwoz Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't eat a chicken that's that old.
  • Yogi_warrior
    Yogi_warrior Posts: 5,465 Member
    Options
    meh, chicken is boring. Give me bacon any day.
  • rand486
    rand486 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Burt_Huttz wrote: »
    So I was doing some research and it looks like chicken (gallus gallus domesticus) only really began being used for food in like 2,500 B.C. or so.

Earliest, long-shot speculation indicates the possibility that fowl were domestically cultivated in China as early as 6,000 B.C. Considering that this is four millennia (4,000 years) after the end of the paleolithic era, are Chicken even paleo?

If you're going to actually believe Paleo is plausible in terms of anthropological "evidence", you're in for a bad time.

Paleo works because high protein diets have high satiety, and lead to efficient muscle growth. It also encourages a lot of leafy veggies (read: low calorie), and allows for zero processed foods.

Those are just generically good ideas - but Paleo has zero to do with actual history. There's nothing about the diet that even begins to hold up to reality, even with a light understanding of human history.

Short version: Paleo works, but not because it's "what we're intended to eat"
  • Crossfitjessi
    Options
    Yes, unless you salt it, bread it, or fry it.

Use fresh seasoning on beef, pork, fish, and poultry. Paleo.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    rand486 wrote: »

If you're going to actually believe Paleo is plausible in terms of anthropological "evidence", you're in for a bad time.

Paleo works because high protein diets have high satiety, and lead to efficient muscle growth. It also encourages a lot of leafy veggies (read: low calorie), and allows for zero processed foods.

Those are just generically good ideas - but Paleo has zero to do with actual history. There's nothing about the diet that even begins to hold up to reality, even with a light understanding of human history.

Well, the OP seemed to be following a historic diet.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    rand486 wrote: »

But why do so many (not all of course) people who follow Paleo encourage others or defend their way of eating my making claims that this is how cavemen, etc ate?