How do you warm up before lifting?

Options
I know I should be doing something to warm up, but I don't know what....

Replies

• girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    My trainer told me to do 10minutes on the elliptical. Not a strenuous setting but just something to get the muscles moving. Then make sure you stretch.
  • Mrsallypants
    Mrsallypants Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    3-4 warm up sets using light weight to get joints warmed up before actual work sets. Light weight can also be your body weight using body weight exercises. If you don't use warm up sets, you could injure yourself and not perform as well when doing your work sets, yet if you do too many warm up sets and reps you could exhaust yourself before getting to your actual work sets. There is a balance.

For bench press and military press days (upper body pressing movements) I do internal and external rotations to warm up rotators cuff before the warm up sets. You can also add mobility stretches such as shoulder dislocations.

As you can see in this link, you gradually build up to your work set weight in your warm up sets, the closer in weight you get to your work sets, the fewer reps you do to not exhaust yourself before getting to your work sets. http://stronglifts.com/5-rules-to-find-your-perfect-warm-up-weight/
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    Every time I lift-10-15 mins on the elliptical (no resistance). Just enough to warm up and start a good sweat.

On upper body days- 10 minutes shoulder mobility workout

On lower body day- 10 mins hip mobility and core work

Then a set or two with some light weight of whatever of the main compound lift I am doing.