None of my interview clothes or coats fit!

Options
nxd10
nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
edited January 2015 in Goal: Maintaining Weight
I know that sounds like a complaining brag, but I really am annoyed. I've given away most of my work and regular clothes that were too big over the last three years and have a winter coat that is big, but looks okay. But darn it, I bought most of these interview clothes when I was skinny and, in fact, weighed the same or less than I do now. But my dress coats and, oh my, my jackets just HANG off my shoulders - they're obviously several sizes too big.

I have a big trip I'm going on tomorrow, took these out thinking they would fit, and I'm stuck. I guess it's time for creative solutions. Thank goodness I've got a lot of belts and scarves. They can cover a world of sin.

Replies

• csmullins78
    csmullins78 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat, only I gave away all my larger clothes and then gained a lot of weight back! Yes, this is why I'm always wearing yoga pants when I'm off work...

Luckily, if you're smaller now, you can probably find a lot of good work appropriate clothes at Goodwill and consignment shops. I've always found it easier to find smaller clothes that are nice at places like these.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    Belts are your friend until next shopping trip ☺
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Ha! I had the same problem and had to make some creative use of safety pins to take over 4 inches out of my waistline. Gladly suck up the tailor expense, but had an unexpected interview (successful mind you) with no suit that fits me.
  • myfitnesspale3
    myfitnesspale3 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Yep at some point, all my old pants became tents. I thought they were ok, and my coworkers "kindly" point out they look like clown-pants.

It's a good problem alright.
  • RaspberryTickleChicken
    Options
    hehe great problem to have! Gratz!
  • svetlanaorly
    svetlanaorly Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Same thing here, I think I will keep some suits for a while and take the rest
    to the tailor.
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I had the same issue. I basically had to do an emergency run to Nordstrom and get a pair of black pants adjusted ASAP, and bought a couple of camisoles which I could wear under thin drape-neck sweaters for a trip. It looked OK, but the adjustment cost about 2x the price of the pants.. Ah well, First World Problems..

On the other hand, I picked up a beautiful wool overcoat by Rag and Bone for about $200 down from $800 in the clearance section in Needless Markups.
  • Lisajohnston
    Lisajohnston Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I had alot of my jackets for my suits taken in, the pants it was not worth it to me. I then bought new clothes but then gained weight back and have a problem with stuff being too small. I am now re-commited and trying to fit back into my clothes again. I find dresses tend to be easier to adapt and a few staples for work. I have a few casual things but those I don't worry about so much.
  • jnv7594
    jnv7594 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue. I wear my clothes until they are practically falling off before I give them up. I can't afford a new wardrobe as often as I'd like. Of course, it sounds like you need these clothes to fit you nicely and look professional. Not a bad problem to have, but annoying nonetheless.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    A little innovation and a sewing machine can cover a world of sins... at least until time and budget allow for a shopping trip.
  • nxd10
    Options
    I bought a new sewing machine when I finished losing and have altered a lot of my clothes. That's why I was surprised when I pulled out my 'skinny' clothes I hadn't worn for ages and they were - FAT!

I did manage and had a great trip with some belting and scarves and jackets. I guess I have an excuse to buy another piece.
  • Lsbabus
    Lsbabus Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I washed wool pants in warm water and dried them on low. They shrunk a bit. On some I had to take up the lining. Had them dry cleaned. Look pretty good. Alternative was to throw them away so $4 each and some time was a good investment
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    Options
    Aha, I've had to replace a wardrobe three times (twice going down, and once now with partial regain - NOT INVESTING, this isn't happening forever!). Sucks!

Get some dresses, they're easier to wear across sizes.
  • superraachel
    superraachel Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I agree on getting into dresses. Much more forgiving. I feel like I'm looking for smaller sized pants on clearance every other month. Even though my weight has been steady for some time, my clothes start getting that saggy look. It seems as you drop to smaller sizes, there's less difference in material amount between sizes but it makes a big difference how it looks on the body.
  • nxd10
    Options
    I completely agree.
  • fallingtrees
    fallingtrees Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    My problem is I gave away my fat pants, and then put some weight back on, and then got a seasonal tax job that requires office wear, so I'm making do with two pairs of thrift shop dress pants while I hope to get into some of my skinny pants before the season ends.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,389 Member
    Options
    Same problem here. My office pants are too big, and I cannot get good quality ones in the whole country! Yea, H&M has office pants, but they feel so plasticky that I refuse to buy them. Plus the current fashion with those extremely tight lower legs is not working for me. I'll always have strong calves, regardless of my weight.
  • nxd10
    Options
    Goodwill! One of the things I have learned from MFP is how to take in pants. I used to take them in at the sides, but they look much better if you remove the waist band in the center back, then take in the seat, shorten the waistband, and resew. You can also slim the legs.

My biggest challenge has actually been shoulders. I have become the master of adding princess seams, but for a really good fit, you have to remove the collar, shorten the shoulder, and resew.

I've come to haunt Goodwill - if I go once a week I find too many nice things, not too few. I think a lot of people used to be 8s or 10s and have grown into 12s and 14s and given away their nice clothes. My biggest problem with slacks is that I am very tall, so those are hard to find. I alter my favorite clothes and fill in with Goodwill. That gives me lots of time to just buy a new piece every month or two to slowly turn over my wardrobe. If you buy everything at the same time, a few years later it's easy to date when you did your shopping.