Is food that important for a good physique ?

Options
Before you jump on me throwing apples and lettuce in my face, I wanna say that while I lost weight I didn't really care about my diet, I did Intermittent Fasting and I would eat whatever I wanted (yes, candies, yes, burgers, yes, fries) but obviously, in moderation. The main thing I did was HIIT cardio 6 days a week (Insanity) and it worked pretty well for me. Could I have had better results with a perfect diet ? Most definitely, but I'm not a bodybuilder, I'm ok with my body so far. Also, I see a lot of prison inmates on TV documentaries that look ripped, and I'm sure in prison they don't give them good proteins, like chicken, steak and fish all day to build muscle. So, why is everyone so hyped about "losing weight is 80% diet 20% exercise" ? Sure, if you're 400 lbs, you might wanna change your diet, but if you wanna lose 20 lbs, just get off the couch and exercise.

Replies

• JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    Well for one, doing HIIT and cardio 6 times a week sounds like a prison sentence but you are correct in that ultimately, it's a calorie deficit > everything in regards to weight loss.

But honestly for me, 500 calories is like 2.5 hours of steady cardio. so for me, it's most effective to just tailor my diet to cut the diet of 500 calories. Or eat 250 calories and work out for 1.75 hours. Which is what I usually do
  • Walter__
    Walter__ Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    becess96 wrote: »
    Before you jump on me throwing apples and lettuce in my face, I wanna say that while I lost weight I didn't really care about my diet, I did Intermittent Fasting and I would eat whatever I wanted (yes, candies, yes, burgers, yes, fries) but obviously, in moderation.

Because the typical fat person doesn't eat the types of foods you mentioned in moderation. That's how they got fat in the first place. They can exercise 6 days a week and still be eating way in excess of their TDEE.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    For me it was more like 75% exercise and 25% diet to lose weight so it depends on your activity level for weight loss. Most people will lose it mostly through diet but most people aren't very active either.

As for quality of food, all things in moderation should be just fine and I'll keep my apples and lettuce, produce is getting way to expensive here! ;)
  • Spocky
    Spocky Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I personally don't like exercising, training. I love running in summer or spring, though. Drinking water and not eating hamburgers are so much easier for me than lifting weight. 85% diet and 15% HIIT is my way.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Spocky wrote: »
    I personally don't like exercising, training. I love running in summer or spring, though. Drinking water and not eating hamburgers are so much easier for me than lifting weight. 85% diet and 15% HIIT is my way.

so confused- you don't like exercising - but love running???