Videos vs Gym

2»

Replies

• Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,423 Member
    Unlike some others in this thread, if I had to rely on a gym/class to workout then I would never workout. I would have so many excuses not to go. For me there is usually no excuse not to quickly do a workout video at home or just walk.
    I like using the many free workout videos on you tube to get some variety.

• SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    just working out for the sake of working out and either droning away on cardio equipment or dancing around the living room to some DVD is boring...doesn't really matter whether it's home or the gym...it's boring.

Establish some fitness goals and do your work in support of those goals and fitness becomes a lot more fun...especially when you really start making fitness advances. Put a purpose behind your work...just moving to move is boring as all hell.

I agree.

The only times that I've ever stuck to working out for longer than a few weeks is when I've had goals that I was working toward.

Like C25K. The first time I tried it, I was just "trying to start running" and never finished the program. Then I signed up for a 5k that was 4 months away and restarted the program. That time I finished it because I wanted to be able to run for my race.

I still set goals and that's how I keep myself motivated.

Switch it up if you're bored, but setting goals will help keep you engaged.
  • jbee27
    jbee27 Posts: 356 Member
    I prefer the gym, or outdoors. I live in an older (built in the 1920's) building, and while it is absolutely charming for all other purposes, it is not conducive to working out. I want to stay on good terms with the lady who lives downstairs, and I highly doubt me jumping around in my living room would make her a big fan of me!
  • pittjenn
    pittjenn Posts: 247 Member
    I love yoga in the studio.

But for everything else, I'd rather sweat in the comfort of my own living room. I find it much easier to just tell myself I have to get dressed and go downstairs, rather than needing to hop in a car, go to the gym, drive home and clean up, etc. It saves me lots of back-and-forth time, and I prefer to feel like I'm dying in private ;) I get VERY flushed VERY quickly - before I even start sweating. I hate that people stop me in the middle of my workouts to ask if I'm OK.
  • clambert1273
    clambert1273 Posts: 840 Member
    I do everything at home.. including lifting. I bought a power cage for that reason alone lol I just don't do public... like pretty much hate it :)
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    I love love love working out at home. I plan my workouts, so I know what I'm doing each day, as you can see from my profile pic, I am not lacking in equipment (or a workout partner).

I'll admit when I first started this 3 years ago, I was distracted easily and thought I would eventually join a gym, but now the thought of actually joining a gym makes me kind of anxious, even though I would eventually like to try strongman training. I like my routine, don't have to worry about someone using the equipment I need, I can turn my music up load and sing and when I'm done...I'm already home.