iPhone & Fitbit

Options
Hi all, is there a way to use the iPhone and Fitbit step tracker to both measure steps over the day? My plan is to use the iPhone to measure steps mostly but to then use the Fitbit during competitive sport as I can't play with my phone. When I go to the MyFitnessPal settings I can only choose one or the other though. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• Liam84M
    Options
    Anybody?
  • McBoffin
    McBoffin Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I think it's one or the other - I know Apple won't be supporting Fitbit integration with the iOS 8 health kit as it'll cut across what they plan to do with their smart watch.

I just use my Fitbit for everything and look at the iPhone steps out of curiosity rather than anything else.
  • McBoffin
    Options
    Actually you could manually change where MFP gets its step info from each time but I suspect that would be a huge PITA
  • Liam84M
    Options
    Yeah I think you're right. I'll just tell the app to get the info from the FitBit and I'll try and wear it all the time. Thanks mate, appreciate it.
  • McBoffin
    Options
    No worries. Be sure to enable negative calorie adjustment on the fitbit though (I think you have to do it on the MFP a website but I've got a sketchy memory in the wee small hours).
  • Liam84M
    Options
    I know it's tough to think but can you explain the negative adjustments? On the site it says if you can't sync your device until late in the day then don't do it? I may not be able to sync until I come home from work... I'm confused... Do I enable adjustments??
  • McBoffin
    Options
    In a nutshell....

Fitbit tracks your activity and if you haven't been active enough it'll reduce your calorie allowance on MFP a for the day (shows up as a negative number in your cardio exercise on MFP)

If (say) you go to bed at 11pm and get up at 7, when you sync your fitbit and MFP a, you'll probably have -100 or so calories until you've moved about enough to break even. From that point on you then begin to earn back cardio calories. If you're relying on your fitbit 24/7 then it's probably wise to set your activity levels to sedentary on MFP As you'll be measuring movement rather than making a guess about how active you are.

If you're not going to sync until you get home then it probably doesn't matter but I find the "*kitten*, I'd better start moving so I can eat" thing every motivating :-).

Drop me a message or add me if you need any more pointers - it took me ages to figure this out (still not convinced I have)
  • Liam84M
    Options
    Very well explained, cheers for that. I'll give it a go and just try and sync as much as I can! I'll add you too, you'll know a lot more than me I can guarantee it. Thanks!