What's your weirdest tip/trick

Options
Khukhullatus
Khukhullatus Posts: 361 Member
edited January 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
So, this isn't "eat more protein and you won't end up hungry as soon," or "measure your portions with a food scale to be sure you aren't underestimating the size." This is the tip or trick that makes you look nuts, or that you don't think would ever work for anyone but you.

I have a few of my own, but my favorite is one my ex girlfriend used to do. She was allowed to skip any workout she wanted, but she had to get up, put on her workout clothes, go sit in the car while it warmed up, turn it off, then come back inside and sit in her workout clothes for the entire period of time she would have been at the gym. She also wasn't allowed to veg and watch TV, she had to do something at least moderately productive.

It always made me laugh, but she sort of "shamed" herself into a surprising number of workouts that way when it was one of those "it's cold and I don't want to go outside," days.

What's your quirkiest tip?

Replies

• avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    This might be common and/or not weird, I honestly don't know... but I keep a notebook in the kitchen for tracking portion sizes. Like, if I'm cooking a roast and I want my portion size to be 6 raw ounces I weigh the raw roast, write down the weight, make a note of what fraction my portion is ("total 24oz roast, 6oz = 1/4 of total"), then weigh it after it's cooked and do the math to make sure my portion is accurate ("18oz total, 6oz portion = 4.5oz cooked"). I do this for all kinds of stuff -- quinoa, soups, meats, grain/veggie salads -- because it's easier than trying to estimate servings after cooking or cook individual portions. I also label the leftovers when I put them away, like, "Quinoa salad, one portion = 214 grams."
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    avskk wrote: »
    This might be common and/or not weird, I honestly don't know... but I keep a notebook in the kitchen for tracking portion sizes. Like, if I'm cooking a roast and I want my portion size to be 6 raw ounces I weigh the raw roast, write down the weight, make a note of what fraction my portion is ("total 24oz roast, 6oz = 1/4 of total"), then weigh it after it's cooked and do the math to make sure my portion is accurate ("18oz total, 6oz portion = 4.5oz cooked"). I do this for all kinds of stuff -- quinoa, soups, meats, grain/veggie salads -- because it's easier than trying to estimate servings after cooking or cook individual portions. I also label the leftovers when I put them away, like, "Quinoa salad, one portion = 214 grams."

I do that too. I have a to do list sort of thing that's magnetized on the fridge, and I make notes on that.

• amtru2015
    amtru2015 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I have a problem with snacking so I have signs on my fridge and pantry that just say "NO" lol
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    One of the weird things I do is that when I want a candy bar or something of that nature I tell myself that I have to walk to the store to get it. If I'm really feeling ambitious, I will walk all the way to Target which is anywhere from 2.3 - 3 miles (depending on the route) from my house. It saves on gas and allows me to have whatever I'm craving without having to cut back on food in other areas. I started doing it, I want to say a year and a half ago. It's pretty much a habit now. I have even started walking to the store for groceries when I only need a few things (weather permitting). The main reason I started doing it was because gas prices were going up and I felt like I was wasting gas going to the store for just a craving when all the stores are within walking distance.
  • samthepanda
    samthepanda Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    We all love fresh unsliced loaves from the supermarket in my house. At certain times of month I could eat several slices. I couldn't not buy it as hubby and son love it for daily sandwiches. I have sometimes cut into half, or thirds and stuck it the freezer in the middle of the day (when home on my own) only to take it out in the evening and defrost for the sandwiches!