No carbs

2»

Replies

• Sjaw683
    Sjaw683 Posts: 3 Member
    Sjaw683 wrote: »
    Just started low carbs a couple weeks ago. Keeping net carbs around 20-30. I have found a bunch of food in the Internet. The Great Low Carb Bread Company is amazing. Also check out lowcarbdiets.about.com for some great recipes. A lot with almond flour or coconut flour. I also am using coconut milk. Snacks are fresh mozarella cheese or cheddar, avacado. GC Scandinavian crisp breads are really good too with cream cheese or peanut butter. I've made no rice sushi, and also enjoy tofu shirataki noodles (several brands). I hope this helps. So far I have much fewer cravings than before. Lost about 5 pounds. My only challenge is the calories since with low carb, the fat and protein go up. I'm trying not to stress about that though, a great book I just read is The Big Fat Myth by Nina Teicholz and now I'm reading Good Calories, Bad Calories by Gary Taubes, to help understand how low carb really works and makes sense. I'd love to talk to a fellow low carber! Post back if you like!

Thank you this is a great help! I've found I'm consuming too few calories and quite hungry so I think your advie may be the balance between me eating to little! How long are you doing it ?

• Sjaw683
    Sjaw683 Posts: 3 Member
    Sorry it's been a few days, I hope you're doing ok! So I actually set my calories at about 90 higher than what MFP set it at cuz I was getting very frustrated trying to maintain that any and low carb. If you cut carbs you're automatically increasing protein and fat intake . Since fat is more calorically dense than carbs, it's very hard to keep the calories very low. I noticed that the percentages fat/protein/carbsare set automatically at 20/40/40 so I changed those goals to reflect a lower carb percentage. It's at like a Atkins/southbeach combo. It seems to be working for me, I'm losing about 1 lb a week, totally satisfied with food, even less food than before since fats/ protein keep you satiated for longer than carbs, and am mostly craving free. It's really hard not to be calorie obsessed since we've been conditioned to be just that, but those books I mentioned helped. I really think the key is to find what works for YOU, nobody else, AND have it be something reasonable that you can live with forever.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    edited January 2015
    MrM27 wrote: »
    No carb as in 0? Not possible.

Dietary wise yes it is possible.

I'm kind of glad I missed your reply that day because I'm sure that you're just trying to come up with some nonsense like it's possible to do zero carb if you do all steak and oils. Your debating skills are sad.

I wasn't debating - I was just correcting your error.

I know how much things beginning correct and factual means to you guys.

FYI, you could do with sharpening up your skills somewhat too! :)
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,422 MFP Moderator
    I mean low carb

So I take it you're creating this thread simply to flag people ?

She didn't... and I deleted all flags.. the people flagging aren't even in this thread..

OP, Need2exercise had a good recommendation. It may also be beneficial to check out one of the low carb groups.

Low carber daily forum

For the most part, you can get a lot of calories from meats, fish, veggies (yes still a carb), nuts, oils and full fat dairy. Just remember, when you lower carbs, you need to increase fats.

• violasmith85
    violasmith85 Posts: 274 Member
    I eat under 20g a day. I do a LCHF diet and eat a lot of meat, cheese, cauliflower, broccoli, and green beans, butter and other fats. It's not difficult once you get the hang of it. There are carbs in most everything so it's important to keep watch with portion control. Adding more fat helps to feel full and keeping the carbs low helps to keep calories down.
  • tennisdude2004
    edited January 2015
    I do believe as a unit of energy a calorie is a calorie, but when it comes to how that calorie is used by our body the source is important.

For example the first 20 - 30g of protein we eat will not be used by the body the same way the first 20 - 30g of carbs would be.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,422 MFP Moderator
    I do believe as a unit of energy a calorie is a calorie, but when it comes to how that calorie is used by our body the source is important.

For example the first 20 - 30g of protein we eat will not be used by the body the same way the first 20 - 30g of carbs would be.

There are a lot of variables that need to be considered. Timing of nutrients, context of overall diet, exercise and more. To suggest an apple is better than gummy bears is a ridiculous argument. For example, if you have just finished up a lot workout routine, where glycogen is highly depleted, then the better choice would be a gummy bear since dextrose is the quickest way of restoring glycogen stores and allow the proteins to rebuild muscle.

Either way, it's not really necessary for the OP so lets stay on track.
  • tennisdude2004
    edited January 2015
    psulemon wrote: »

There are a lot of variables that need to be considered. Timing of nutrients, context of overall diet, exercise and more. To suggest an apple is better than gummy bears is a ridiculous argument. For example, if you have just finished up a lot workout routine, where glycogen is highly depleted, then the better choice would be a gummy bear since dextrose is the quickest way of restoring glycogen stores and allow the proteins to rebuild muscle.

Either way, it's not really necessary for the OP so lets stay on track.

Not really sure where the relevance of glycogen depletion comes in (that's a bit off topic).

Although to address that, you are suggesting the glycogen stores need to be replenished quickly, unless you are an elite athlete and will be working out again to those levels soon, then replenishing them quickly isn't really an issue.

In fact if you are not going to be working out hard again for another couple of days the body on a low carb diet will take care of itself.

To be fair this whole thread is off topic - there's not many food and meal suggestions, as per the OP's request.