how much it's too much carbs?

Options
karyabc
karyabc Posts: 830 Member
hi! MFP people, i'm 261.5 lbs :o , started at 298 lbs . I've learned quite a lot since joining this site and i know that sugar, carbs, fat or whatever food group it's not bad but what i've did to them witch basically was overeating them, that was my error. that being said I know that a lot of my obesity got to to do with me overeating on high carbs food! so because i have different goals besides the weight loss , eating carbs in moderation is something that i really want to do.

Right now my daily goal set by MFP are

1440 Kcal
180g Carbs
48g Fat
72g Protein
2300mg Sodium
54g Sugar

I usually stay close to the 180 g of carbs like today i consume 172, if i would like to moderate without going to low how much will you advise? or do you think i should stay in 180 that MFP sets for me?

Thanks! kary :)

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I don't feel like doing the math, but my dietitian and I set a goal of 1,650 cals a day, 50% carbs, 20% protein, and 30% fat. I find it really, really hard to mess too much with the proportion.

You will note that the high protein folks have to hunt like crazy to get enough protein in.

I say try a goal and if it doesn't work, change it. If you are seeing results you have found the right proportion.
  • wilsoncl6
    wilsoncl6 Posts: 1,288 Member
    Options
    Depends on what your goals are. The recommended carbs are 50% and you can adjust your fats and proteins according to your exercise goals. Some people reduce their carbs but if you're planning on exercising heavily, that is not a good idea as carbs is the go to fuel for workouts.
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
    Options
    I have cut carbs a bit to around 35-40%, and up'd the protein. My calorie goal is closer to yours, and my carb goal is around 130. Anything under 100, and I start to feel lousy.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Stick with the 180g of carbs for awhile and see how you feel if you love your carbs and that seems more sustainable for you. If you'd rather have a steak instead of a bowl of pasta feel free to lower your carbs and increase your fat and protein numbers though -- those are minimums and you'd probably do better with more fat and protein regardless.

But if you're tired after eating or feel sick, shaky or irritable if you don't eat every few hours those are all signs you're eating more carbohydrate than your body can handle. And if that's the case you should definitely lower your carbs -- how much is an individual thing. I eat around 50g of carbs a day and feel great. You can also increase your activity and see how you make out or even better a combination of both.

What you eat today doesn't have to be what you eat a month from now so it's okay to take your time figuring these things out. Best wishes. :)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Yes, just stick to your calories and eat in the way that makes it easiest for you for a week or two and then see how your macros fall out and how you feel. I found that I was naturally cutting my carbs back because that's just what I gravitated to as an easy way to cut calories for me (I love my protein and fat). When I was running a lot more in the fall they picked up some (and over the holidays) and now I'm down to about 30-35% again (of 1650, however).
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    There's no magic number here. Cutting carbs isn't necessary for weight loss; that said, most people who are overweight do well to reduce them somewhat as many overweight people do have some level of insulin sensitivity.

Really, this comes down to you though. I do a lot of cycling and do quite a bit of work in the weight room and do best when carbs are about 50% or so of my diet.
  • karyabc
    karyabc Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    :) have read all your post! thank you, will take all in consideration. what i will do is basically a trial with the 180g suggested by mfp for 2 weeks and see how it goes, if it works will stick with that.