When did you buy new clothes

Options
I'm in a situation here.
I've now lost 76 pounds. 177 down from 253. but I'm still wearing clothes that were loose fitting on me then.
I still have about 10 pounds to go. I need new clothing like right now but I don't want to do that over again
in a month from now since I feel like I'm wearing bed sheets. But I figure I'll endure it a little longer to save money.

So on that I have a question.
How long did you wait to buy a new wardrobe and how many did you go through.

Replies

• ddky
    ddky Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I am buying all my clothes at thrift stores and garage sales until I get to my goal. I still dress nicely and get complimented on my outfits. My Easter dress cost me $1.99 and I just bought a beautiful name brand summer dress that looks like new for $2.99 and a stylish sleeveless top for $1.50. My reward for getting to goal will be a completely new outfit and a mani/pedi. There is no need to go around looking like a bag lady while you are losing weight. You can even get some really good deals on EBAY.
  • haymancm
    haymancm Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I've been buying mine @ Goodwill and such, just a few items @ a time....I know I won't be in them too long, before I drop more weight. I can't stand to wear baggy clothes, especially since it's noticeable that I'm losing weight.
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    I buy a few pieces at a time. At the moment I have 2 pairs of work pants and a few pairs of jeans that, with a belt, still fit enough to wear. I look for sales or thrift store finds and don't go overboard buying things that will only be wearable for a short time.
  • GeekAmour
    GeekAmour Posts: 262
    Options
    I'm with the thrifters! Even at my goal, I'll be thrifting my clothes, it's pretty much my hobby as I'm into all things vintage, quirky & cute, but in addition to cute stuff I can find gorgeous, expensive clothes for CHEAP! Nothing better than finding something brand new with a tag that say $199 that you get for $10! :bigsmile:

Just last week I went through my wardrobe & bagged up a crap load off clothes that were to big & donated them, replacing with newer, smaller, thrifted gems & even though I have a way to go to be where I want to be, I feel GOOD wearing nice clothes in the meantime, inspires me to keep going & keep caring for myself, as opposed to slopping about in ill-fitting clothes feeling self conscious.

tumblr_me2tsd2Jnl1qejwiio1_500.gif
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Goodwill is your friend. Buy some clothes you look great in that fit you now. Blow $30 on a few pairs of jeans and some shirts.

Buy a new bra now.

Buy some inexpensive tighter t-shirts that will look great now and a bit more relaxed 10 pounds down.

Buy some jewelry and scarves to fit whenever (though I must admit some of my earrings and necklaces look too big now). They hide floppy tops.

I bought a sewing machine and dropped 6-8" off a lot of my pants and blouses. For t-shirts I took in the sides. For a number of blouses I took in the sides and added some princess seams.

Clothes fitting seems to go in waves. I lost 20 pounds and dropped 2 sizes and had to buy clothes or take in my clothes. I lost another 12 and things looked better and I COULD fit in smaller sizes but looked good in what I had except for the armholes (which hung). I took those in.

I'm traveling right now and lost 4 pounds in the last few weeks and all of a sudden NOTHING I have looks good - everything hangs. I'm belting everything in. I guess that's why sizes aren't just linear - they're SIZES.
  • markjz
    markjz Posts: 5
    Options
    Well I'll keep my eyes open there are a few small family owned thrift stores in my small town. the goodwill here had almost nothing for men.
  • Dunkirk
    Dunkirk Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    My husband wears braces to keep his pants up till he's lost a bit more, then he'll buy down some sizes. A cheap, temporary option that works for some people.
  • Hanfordrose
    Hanfordrose Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    I started buying with my under panties first. My size 12's were falling down inside my pants. That was at about 35 pounds lost marker.

One month later, a trip to Lane Bryant...just to find out what size I was really wearing...ended up being a full out shopping spree with several new blouses, tank tops and a couple of pair of pants. I was happily surprised to find that I went from 4X to 1X (size 20) in blouses. My pants were a comfortable ZERO X from Lane Bryant, but even that turned out to be a bit too big.

Once there was a crack in dam, the torrent of new clothes came in rapid succession. A trip to Catherine's added a dozen more blouses and even some more pants...10 more pair in black and navy to be exact, but I wanted more colors.

So, I started looking for the online sources; and I found them...Roaman's, Woman Within and Blair; but I ended up sending back everything to Blair. Talk about cheap and ugly. It was during this online shopping feast that I discovered my true pant size was 16...amazing! Those skinny looking pants fit me! Hallelujah!

It has been all downhill from there, with orders arriving all the time. I just got 3 more tops from Roaman's in the mail today; and I will order more of those skinny pants from Woman Within, just as soon as the winter colors arrive. Shopping for my new, smaller body has been a joy.

By the way, I intend to lose at least another 40 to 50 pounds; and I will buy more clothes then...'cause I deserve it...AND SO DO YOU!

I have given away more than 7 bags of clothes that no longer fit me in the past 2 months. That was one of the healthiest things that I have done for myself...'cause I'm not going back to that size again.
  • jsiricos
    jsiricos Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I'm working my way backwards through my wardrobe! Everything comes back into style! (and I shrink more n more!)
    Undies, gotta buy new ones, damn things keep escaping, oh and bras's? gotta get new ones of those too, loose ones chafe :(
  • siqiniq
    siqiniq Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I'm another thrift store buyer. I have always bought a lot of my clothes from second hand stores, just because it's so much cheaper. I don't feel guilty about getting rid of something and getting something new. some people say that they can never find things. I almost always find something I really like. The secret is go when you have lots of time, and be prepared to dig through things.
  • gogojodee
    gogojodee Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options

tumblr_me2tsd2Jnl1qejwiio1_500.gif

<3
  • twinkiemon
    twinkiemon Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Yep, thrift stores (I found the cutest shirt recently at Goodwill for like $3) or places like Walmart or Old Navy sometimes have good deals like plain T-shirts for $5 - I know sometimes Old Navy has jeans for like $19 (pretty good for jeans - I won't get jeans at Walmart personally because I had two that easily ripped within days of buying them) - maybe even ask some of your friends if they have clothes they're looking to get rid of and see if you could buy them at a cheap price (you never know).

For me, I've done this weight loss dance before so I actually have a lot of clothes in my closet - ranging from sizes L-2XL and 12-18 so I'm not planning to buy any new clothes until I get to my goal weight of a 12 (unless I really need something - like my scrub pants wear out within months because I wear them to work often).