I like Beer! So how do I drink and eat healthy :( ?

Options
So like I said I like to have a few beers after work each day. I know you are not supposed to have beer when your dieting (empty calories). What do you think if I make sure I exercise off all my drinking calories. My Fitness Pal only allows me 1260 calories a day to lose 1/2 Lbs. a week.
I appreciate any advice.

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    I work into my calorie allotment for the day. If it doesn't fit for the day then I don't have one.
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    Drink your beer through one of those hats with straws while walking on the treadmill!

Alternatively, just have a beer and count it into your daily calories. :)
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    LAWoman72 wrote: »
    Drink your beer through one of those hats with straws while walking on the treadmill!

I like that idea better :)
  • LAWoman72
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »

I know, I think I've actually just given MYSELF an idea.

I can't wait until my husband comes home and sees me chugging from a beer hat on the stepper. He'll probably just say "Nothing surprises me anymore."

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »

I know, I think I've actually just given MYSELF an idea.

I can't wait until my husband comes home and sees me chugging from a beer hat on the stepper. He'll probably just say "Nothing surprises me anymore."

HAHAHAHA. What an image! :drinker:
  • LAWoman72
    Options
  • lemonlionheart
    lemonlionheart Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    I know people who allow alcohol only if they have earned it through exercise, so they are still getting their base calorie goal in nutrition then drinking with the 'extra' calories. If you are only allowed 1260 cals you should make sure most of that is actual nutrition! :)
  • kellicci
    kellicci Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I agree. If you want that beer you just need to earn it. I think you'll find a nice pint tastes so much better when you've worked hard to deserve it.

Sadly, for me, when I'm trying to lose beer is just out because lite beer doesn't seem like a just reward and working out enough to deserve a pint or two of the good stuff....I don't have that kind of time. lol At maintenance I can usually get away with one real beer here and there.
  • awasko1218
    awasko1218 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    If I have a craving (for me it is generally WINE and CHOCOLATE) when I get up in the morning (or through the day sometimes), I put that glass of wine and/or chocolate right into my tracker as an after-dinner snack - at 8am. lol. This way, All day long, if the craving goes away, great...but if it doesn't, I've got it covered and I can sit on my couch and watch trash TV and enjoy my treats guilt-free. It is kinda like making a fake withdrawal in your checking account so you can afford those shoes you want when they go on sale...;-)
  • darlenegrace999
    darlenegrace999 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    So like I said I like to have a few beers after work each day. I know you are not supposed to have beer when your dieting (empty calories). What do you think if I make sure I exercise off all my drinking calories. My Fitness Pal only allows me 1260 calories a day to lose 1/2 Lbs. a week.
    I appreciate any advice.

Light beer is only 100 calories a bottle, don't think of them as empty calories rhink of them as sanity calories. By the end of the day that's better than vitamin C
  • monicapatituccijones
    Options
    Working it into your calories is a good idea. Also, limit it to one beer and make it last.
  • jpaulie
    jpaulie Posts: 917 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    stick beer in freezer. slowly drink melting beer over the next two hours
  • Aemely
    Aemely Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    jpaulie wrote: »
    stick beer in freezer. slowly drink melting beer over the next two hours

Awww. That's not right. You are making me cry! :cry:
  • McBoffin
    McBoffin Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Who ever first came up with the idea that beer is empty calories could suck the joy out of a clown.

Beer has calories, you're using MFP to track calories and your macros. It's about choices and entirely up to you how you fit it in.

Light beers are low in calories but is rather have a pint of proper brown beer.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    Or instead of "earning" your food, just log it and eat within your calories, and move on. Imo you shouldn't strive to "earn" food, you just consume it.

The only empty calorie is water, because it doesn't have calories.
  • Barbs2222
    Barbs2222 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I drink and try to exercise the calories off. I love beer but I switched to vodka and soda and I'm finding I like it so much better. When I've had all the vodka I allowed myself for the day I just fill my glass with seltzer and it feels like I'm still having a drink. If I want I still have beer. They taste so freaking good now that I only have them once in awhile. Cheers :)
  • Marianna93637
    Marianna93637 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Just fit it into your calories. Last night I had 2 glasses of red wine (4 oz each) and i was still under my calories. Maybe you can walk it off earlier in the day. The problem is the cravings or hunger that starts after drinking. I don't drink beer, so I don't know if you get hungry after that, but stronger drinks (anything with vodka or tequila) can do that for me, and sometimes wine. Last night I was ok though.
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    i effing love beer. and i prefer the IPAs which have a ton of calories. makes me so sad. when i am dieting (now til november) i drink only on weekends and i drink bud select usually. very rarely will i treat myself to a good beer
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    McBoffin wrote: »
    Who ever first came up with the idea that beer is empty calories could suck the joy out of a clown.

Beer has calories, you're using MFP to track calories and your macros. It's about choices and entirely up to you how you fit it in.

Light beers are low in calories but is rather have a pint of proper brown beer.

haha so true. Beer is not empty tho-it contains silica which makes our bones stronger

• RNGRZulu
    RNGRZulu Posts: 3,964 Member
    Options
    Beer is my downfall for sure. My resolution is to never drink beer at home.