I am beginning a walking routine. Anyone want to make a group of it? For EXTREME sedentary folks.

Options
I want to exercise. I NEED to exercise. There are a lot of contradicting views about whether exercise actually helps with weight loss. Well, I say it doesn't matter. I have been sedentary for 2 or 3 years, ever since I had my gallbladder removed right after I lost my job for related absences. I have tried to work, and I have found I'm not strong enough. So I need to get stronger so that I can work!

So I did some research, and I discovered that if I want to strengthen my heart I need to start moving. But since I've been sedentary so long, I need to watch my heart rate. And so I got myself a heart rate monitor, and I've done some research on where I should keep my heart rate, and here is my plan. Anyone is welcome to do it with me.

Beginning tomorrow I am going to walk for 15 minutes while trying to keep my heart rate at 126. (First I found my recommended cardio range by taking 220 and subtracting my age, 26. Then I multiplied it by .65 since I don't want to go all out.)

Next week I'm going to walk for 20 minutes. I will still try to keep my heart rate around 126.

The week after that I'm going to walk for 25 minutes. Still keeping to 126.

The week after that I'm going to walk for 30 minutes, and I'll still keep to 126.

Then, for the next 2 weeks I will maintain the 30 minute walks, and keep my heart at 126.

From my reading, at this point my heart should be stronger, and it shouldn't be difficult to keep it around 126. At this point I'm going to increase my heart rate on my walks. I'll try upping it a little each day until I'm somewhere around 85%. Then as I continue, my heart should get even stronger and it will become more difficult to reach my target range. THEN COMES THE FUN STUFF.

But that's another routine for another day. :wink:

So, if anyone wants to try with me that would be great! I'll start a group if I get enough people interested. If not I'll just rock it myself. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

This routine was taken from http://www.phlaunt.com/lowcarb/19064017.php

Replies

• moonsie
    Options
    I'll join you.
  • Mythril
    Mythril Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Woo! It's just me and you.
  • TriciannT
    TriciannT Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I will join.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    i dont think you need to worry about your heart rate when walking.
  • helgao813
    helgao813 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Sounds good
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    I am a bit confused about why you need to monitor your heart rate during a walk at such a young age. Do you have a heart problem or other serious medical issue? Do you have problems walking in general, like shopping etc? If yes, and if a leisurly walk of 15 minutes is something you cannot do without thinking about it, then maybe it is time to see your dr? This post would make sense if you were e.g. 80, or if you have a disabling illness, but otherwise why would a person this young need to plan that much to just walk for such a short period?
  • Mythril
    Mythril Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Yes, I have trouble walking. Not with my heart, but with my hips. There is nothing my doctor can say to me about my hips that hasn't been said. They've done x-rays and studies and haven't discovered the cause.

As for the heart rate, I have been sedentary for so long. And no, my heart doesn't go bonkers when I walk but it can get pretty high if I push to hard. I'm trying to strengthen it so that things like climbing my stairs and simply walking around the grocery store don't leave me breathless.

This is what I'm doing. I'm not asking for advice. Obviously this isn't going to hurt me.