Caliecat's 20 pound challenge thread by Easter ---Recipes

Options
CALIECAT
CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
hello since we are getting some healthy recipes I thought we needed a place to keep them so I open this Thread up. So post your healthy recipes here.
Marie

Replies

• CALIECAT
    Options
    This is the place to post your healthy recipes. Maybe any new products you found I will try to o back and copy some you all posted and repost tem here Anything pertain to food.
    Marie
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    I found this one today and want to try it out.
    Black Bean Burgers

SERVINGS: 4

1 can (16 oz) black beans, rinsed, drained, and divided
    1 sm yellow onion, chopped
    ¼ c parsley, chopped
    1 clove garlic, minced
    1 tsp ground cumin
    ½ tsp kosher salt
    ½ tsp black pepper
    1 Tbsp safflower oil
    ½ bag (5 oz) frozen peas and carrots
    ¾ c panko
    1 lg egg
    Whole wheat rolls
    Lettuce, tomato, ketchup, and mustard (optional)

1. PUREE ½ can black beans, onion, parsley, garlic, cumin, salt, and pepper in food processor until smooth.
    2. HEAT oil over medium heat in large skillet.
    3. TRANSFER burger mixture to large bowl with remaining ½ can beans, peas and carrots, panko, and egg. Mix to combine, and form 4 patties.
    4. PLACE in skillet and cook until browned, about 3 minutes. Flip patties and cook until heated through, another 3 minutes.
    5. SERVE on whole wheat rolls with lettuce, tomato, ketchup, and mustard.

NUTRITION (per serving) 312 cal, 14 g pro, 53 g carb, 8 g fiber, 5 g sugars, 7.5 g fat, 1.5 g sat fat, 809 mg s

Marie
  • beszmytke
    beszmytke Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I found this one on Hello Healthy, and it sounds fabulous! I am making it tomorrow :)

Superfood Salad

For the Dressing

1/4 cup grapeseed oil
    1/2 cup lemon juice, fresh
    1 tablespoon ginger, peeled and grated
    2 teaspoons whole grain mustard
    2 teaspoons pure maple syrup, optional
    1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste

For the Salad

2 cups dinosaur kale, tightly packed and thinly sliced
    2 cups red cabbage, thinly sliced
    2 cups broccoli florets
    2 large carrots, peeled and grated
    1 medium red bell pepper, sliced into matchsticks
    1/2 cup fresh parsley, chopped
    1 cup walnuts
    1 tablespoon sesame seeds
    Optional Topping: 2 medium avocados, diced
    Directions

Whisk together all ingredients for the dressing (or put everything in a small blender and blend) and set aside until ready to use.

Add the kale, cabbage, broccoli, bell pepper, and carrots to a large serving bowl.

Pour desired amount of dressing over the salad and toss until everything is coated.

Add the parsley, sesame seeds and walnuts and toss again. Top with avocado if desired. May be served as an entrée salad or as a side salad to your favorite meal.

Nutrition Information

Serves: 8 | Serving Size: 1/8 of salad (does not include avocado)

Per serving: Calories: 203; Total Fat: 16g; Saturated Fat: 2g; Monounsaturated Fat: 5g; Cholesterol: 0mg; Sodium: 39mg; Carbohydrates: 13g; Dietary Fiber: 6g; Sugars: 3g; Protein: 5g

Nutrition Bonus: Potassium: 580mg; Vitamin A: 137%; Vitamin C: 134%; Calcium: 13%; Iron: 10%
  • BrandieBenoit
    BrandieBenoit Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    What is a make ahead healthy breakfast that I can try. I would like something to make ahead then just grab it and go the next day.
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    What is a make ahead healthy breakfast that I can try. I would like something to make ahead then just grab it and go the next day.

• mizzevo
    Options
    For breakfast u can make a chia seed pudding
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    here is that recipe for overnight oatmeal

overnight oats in a jar is making flavored oatmeal without cooking.
    Basic recipe - use a 1 cup mason jar, add
    1/4 cup rolled oats
    1/3 cup milk
    1/4 cup greek yogurt
    1.5 tsp maple syrup or honey or agava
    1.5 tsp Chia seeds
    1/4 cup diced fruit or berries.
    Place lid on jar...shake to mix and place in fridge overnight...can be made up to 4 days in advance.
    I like vanilla so I use vanilla yogurt and vanilla rice milk. I have also experimented with flavors like apple and cinnamon, banana and cocoa.
    So fast to pull one out in the morning and eat on the run. I eat them cold but they can be heated too! They also fill me until lunch.
    Let me know if you try them and what flavor combinations you come up with.
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    This recipe is from Elaine Did I get the right one?
    Marie
  • smpotter18
    Options
    For breakfast I like to make oatmeal and instead of a sweeter stir in a TBS of peanut butter - no sugar added- for some fat and protein. It tastes really good and makes the oatmeal last longer.... all the way until lunch.
  • CALIECAT
    edited January 2015
    Options
    wonderful ideal Smpotter
    Would you like to join our thread
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/30962827#Comment_30962827 come and join us.
    Marie
    Click on this link and it will take you there
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    CALIECAT wrote: »
    This recipe is from Elaine Did I get the right one?
    Marie
    I think this recipe is from Belinda, Sounds terrific
    Marie

• CALIECAT
    Options
    This is a nice salad
    EGG AND BACON SALAD
    EGG AND BACON SALAD
    Sometimes a simple salad can be just the ticket and this one satiates so well. I like to add a bit of crunch to my salad. The green pepper and red onion do that very nicely in this salad, plus they add a bit of bright, attractive color.
    10 hard boiled eggs, peeled and chopped
    6 slices, crispy bacon, chopped
    1/4 cup chopped red onion (60 mL)
    2 tbsp chopped green pepper (30 mL)
    1/4 cup mayonnaise (60 mL)
    3 tbsp sour cream (45 mL)
    2 tsp Dijon mustard, OR regular (10 mL)
    1 tsp lemon juice (5 mL)
    1/2 tsp seasoning salt (2 mL)
    1/4 tsp black pepper (1 mL)
    In medium bowl, combine eggs, bacon, onion and green pepper. In small bowl, combine mayonnaise, sour cream, Dijon mustard, OR regular, lemon juice, seasoning salt and black pepper. Pour over eggs and bacon mixture. Stir well to combine.
    Yield: 6 servings
    1 serving
    250.4 calories
    16.6 g protein
    18.81 g fat
    0.2 g fiber
    2.6 g net carbs

Marie

• CALIECAT
    Options
    nancy green beans recipes

For you who eat green beans often, I have a new twist to cooking them which makes them taste much better to me. I do 3 bags of Kroger frozen cut greens beans, 3 tablespoons of Apple cider vinegar, 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil and 3 single packages of Splenda, cover with water and cook on med high for awhile then simmer until all the water is gone. (I use Stevia instead of Splenda).
    My sister adds an onion when she cooks them.
    Nancy
    Thanks Nancy
  • CALIECAT
    Options
  • kellycasey5
    kellycasey5 Posts: 486 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    OOOH @ CALIECAT that spaghetti squash bowl looks incredible! Wonder if it would be any good with seasoned grated cauliflower instead of meat....I think the next time I go to the store I will try it!
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    OOOH @ CALIECAT that spaghetti squash bowl looks incredible! Wonder if it would be any good with seasoned grated cauliflower instead of meat....I think the next time I go to the store I will try it!

Kelly let us know. But you need some protein Add some beans to it.

• Kenea993
    Kenea993 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I made a Cold Greek Quinoa salad last week for a quick grab and go lunch and it was terrific. Though I do have to warn, it doesn't look like it, but this makes a TON! So have some people to share it with or have lots of it the week you make it =)
    Also when I put into MFP it says it has a lot of Sodium. Im not sure where its coming from or how to reduce it so Im open to suggestions!

http://backtoherroots.com/2012/06/07/cold-greek-quinoa-salad/
  • Shirley61
    Shirley61 Posts: 7,758 Member
    Options
    Kenea - If the quinoa is packaged, the sodium probably is coming from that. Also what type of Greek ingredients are you using? Maybe check the sodium there too.
    -
    Shirley
  • CALIECAT
    Options
  • CALIECAT
    edited April 2015
    Options
    <3