Starting a bulk

Options
ive gotten my body fat down to about 13% and decided it was time to bulk. my maintenance is 2100 and so ive up'd it up 500 cals to 2600. macros are 164g protein, 325g carbs, and 72g of fat. i was wondering if these macros would lead to a successful bulk considering eating clean the entire time. thankyou

Replies

• elfman5150
    elfman5150 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    a successful bulk will depend not only on eating but also on a weight-lifting routine. And at age 18, I'd expect your maintenance level to be above 2100, but if that's what you think it is, then adding those 500 calories will give you about a 1lb/week gain. That gain will be both fat and muscle - no way around it. So yea, your bulk will be 'successful' in that you'll gain weight.

• markjacobs1987
    markjacobs1987 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    As for calorie amount it looks good, but yes as elfman said you'll need to have a good weight-lifting routine as well. If you are gaining 0.5 to 1lbs a week you are in good shape. If you notice you aren't gaining then up your calories slowly until you find the sweet spot to gain that 0.5-1lb a week
  • dieselbyte
    dieselbyte Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Caloric surplus determines whether you will bulk - your macro ratio has nothing to do with it. "Clean eating" won't make your bulk any more successful. If anything, you may find it harder to eat your required calories by only eating micro-nutrient dense foods...
  • momonay96
    momonay96 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    thanks guys for the help. ive have been lifting hard in the gym. but not overtraining the muscles.
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    momonay96 wrote: »
    thanks guys for the help. ive have been lifting hard in the gym. but not overtraining the muscles.

That's a bit contradictory, can you explain further? Do you mean rest days?

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    momonay96 wrote: »
    ive gotten my body fat down to about 13% and decided it was time to bulk. my maintenance is 2100 and so ive up'd it up 500 cals to 2600. macros are 164g protein, 325g carbs, and 72g of fat. i was wondering if these macros would lead to a successful bulk considering eating clean the entire time. thankyou

like others have said…progressive lifting and eating more are the two main factors….your macros look fine.

However, ditch the whole "clean eating" mantra….More than likely you are going to end up eating 3000 + calories a day ..and good luck doing that eating chicken, vegetables, and rice…

ice cream, bagels, cookies, full fat cottage cheese and greek yogurt, steak, rice, pasta, bread are your friends…eat them regularly.

my diary is open if you want ideas…

hit your calorie/micro/macro goal and then fill in remaining calories with what you want...