Water Retention Help!?

Options
Hi there,
I know this seems so dumb, but I really need some insight. Last week, I weighed in every day, and I was roughly in the 124 lbs. zone. This week (after two splurge meals) that were no MORE than 1000 calories total put me up to 126-127 lbs. for the last 3-4 days. My period does not start for another 10 days, but for some reason I can't kick this "weight gain" which I know is water retention. How and when will I lose it?
Thanks!

Replies

• ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    1000 calories is not enough food for anyone.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    It takes about two days for food to digest and leave the body. But sometimes it takes longer. And then there's the thing that we keep eating, so if the old food is leaving at the same rate as we are eating, we could hang on to the extra for several days. But give it time and it will go away.
  • MysticRealm
    MysticRealm Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »
    1000 calories is not enough food for anyone.

I believe she's saying her binges (on top of the food she already ate for the day) were less than 1000.

My water weight can sometimes stick around for like 5 days!! It usually drops off the DAY AFTER my 'official' friday weigh ins! Always annoying.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Hi there,
    I know this seems so dumb, but I really need some insight. Last week, I weighed in every day, and I was roughly in the 124 lbs. zone. This week (after two splurge meals) that were no MORE than 1000 calories total put me up to 126-127 lbs. for the last 3-4 days. My period does not start for another 10 days, but for some reason I can't kick this "weight gain" which I know is water retention. How and when will I lose it?
    Thanks!
    The meals themselves were 1000 calories? Or, you ate only 1000 calories on the days you splurged?

Water retention and weight fluctuations are normal.

• RebelDiamond
    RebelDiamond Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    the more water you drink the less you will retain.
  • Sheseeksstrength
    Sheseeksstrength Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    On top of my daily calories (to maintain weight), I ate NO more than 1000 extra calories, and I know it is not true fat gain, but the scale continues to go up and not down, even though I have returned to my normal eating routine.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    It can stick around for several days. I ate way more carbs and sodium on Saturday than I normally do. Gained 4.5 pounds between that morning and Sunday morning. I've been losing a half pound a day since then. Water weight really can be way slower to come off than to come on.
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Drink a lot of water and eat banana or avocado. Takes 2-3 days to drop water weight from excess sodium for me.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I have found, for me at least, that water retained from eating more carbs or alcohol than usual takes about 3 days to go away where water retained from extra sodium takes one day. It may be counter intuitive, but the best thing to do to get rid of extra retained water is to drink more water than you usually do.
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    Lourdesong wrote: »
    Drink a lot of water and eat banana or avocado. Takes 2-3 days to drop water weight from excess sodium for me.

Eat a banana or avocado? How do those help get rid of water retention?
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    On top of my daily calories (to maintain weight), I ate NO more than 1000 extra calories, and I know it is not true fat gain, but the scale continues to go up and not down, even though I have returned to my normal eating routine.

You say the scale continues to go up. Water retention usually shows as fluctuation, at least for me--goes up after a lot of salt or extra carbs, or even extra calories, then it goes back down within a few days. If it sticks around for awhile or continues to go up, you might want to make sure you are not eating more than you realize.

Do you log your food so you know it was no more than 1,000 calories over your TDEE? Or, are you guessing?
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »

My understanding is the potassium helps balance your sodium levels, which thereby would affect water retention. Is this not so?

• SLLRunner
    Options

My understanding is the potassium helps balance your sodium levels, which thereby would affect water retention. Is this not so?

Yes, I believe potassium does help with water retention. I didn't even associate the foods with potassium. Thanks for the tip.
  • Sheseeksstrength
    Sheseeksstrength Posts: 138 Member
    Options

You say the scale continues to go up. Water retention usually shows as fluctuation, at least for me--goes up after a lot of salt or extra carbs, or even extra calories, then it goes back down within a few days. If it sticks around for awhile or continues to go up, you might want to make sure you are not eating more than you realize.

Do you log your food so you know it was no more than 1,000 calories over your TDEE? Or, are you guessing?

I have logged it :)) good question, though!!