Deadlift grip slip...ideas?

Options
uconnwinsnc1
uconnwinsnc1 Posts: 902 Member
edited January 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
So I have this thing where my hands get really sweaty the moment I start working out. Attractive, yeah? Anyways when I get into heavy deadlifts my grip goes too quickly. I know it isn't an overall grip strength issue because the bar literally begins to slide out of my hand due to the sweat. I don't use reverse grip because I don't want to put too much strain on one of my biceps. I want to avoid any injuries and both hands overhand grip feels like the best way to do that.

I have a few options to fix this, I am looking for the best one.

1) Chalk. The issue? I don't want to be LeBron James and blow chalk up all over the gym. It makes a mess and I don't want to be that guy.
2)Wrist straps. The issue? Well, it doesn't help me improve my grip strength. Soon my grip will lag way behind my lifts if I use these.
3)Gloves. The issue? My hands will still sweat and I'll probably get some nasty blisters.

So...any ideas?

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Liquid chalk. All the awesomeness of chalk with much less mess. Also, mixed grip is awesome (even though you aren't interested), but it's a good idea to change which hand grips which way to evenly distribute the strain to the biceps.

bodybuilding.com/store/liquid-grip/liquid-grip.html
  • uconnwinsnc1
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    Liquid chalk. All the awesomeness of chalk with much less mess. Also, mixed grip is awesome (even though you aren't interested), but it's a good idea to change which hand grips which way to evenly distribute the strain to the biceps.

Hah see I never even heard of this stuff. This is the kind of thing I should invest in! This is what I am trying to avoid:

• IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    1) Get over it
    2) Train grip separately or only use them when you are fatigued.
    4) Forfeit you deadlift while you continue to wait for your grip to catch up.
    5) Sweatbands.
  • usmcmp
    Options

Hah see I never even heard of this stuff. This is the kind of thing I should invest in! This is what I am trying to avoid:

Hahaha! My gym banned chalk, so I found liquid chalk. It leaves a little on the bar, but they don't complain. I also use it at powerlifting meets. I actually like it better than chalk now.
  • usmcmp
    Options
    1) Get over it
    5) Sweatbands.

The issue is sweat, not grip. Plus, I'm not sure what your 4 points are in reference to since they don't match up with their 3 points.
  • uconnwinsnc1
    Options
    1) Get over it
    5) Sweatbands.

y5kb91bka984.jpg
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    1) Get over it
    5) Sweatbands.

The issue is sweat, not grip. Plus, I'm not sure what your 4 points are in reference to since they don't match up with their 3 points.

The numbers that are the same match up. The additional numbers are additional. If it's sweat and not grip, why are you suggesting chalk instead of antiperspirant?

OP, if it's sweat that's the problem, why don't you just keep your hands closed? Duh?
  • uconnwinsnc1
    Options
    1) Get over it
    5) Sweatbands.

The numbers that are the same match up. The additional numbers are additional. If it's sweat and not grip, why are you suggesting chalk instead of antiperspirant?

OP, if it's sweat that's the problem, why don't you just keep your hands closed? Duh?

I am concerned you don't know how friction works...But I appreciate all input.
  • usmcmp
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Never mind.
  • Lambrah
    Lambrah Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Chalk is not messy unless you clap your hands while running around the gym. Learn how to mixed grip is my best advice. Bicep tearing is not an issue if your form is good
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Double overhand is going to greatly restrict the amount you deadlift, and also doesn't prevent bicep injuries. Good form prevents bicep injuries either way.

But anyway, besides liquid chalk, you could try hook grip if you're man enough. It's double overhand but will provide a way more secure grip (with or without chalk)
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Chalk, mixed grip. If your fingers are long enough, hook works.

Of all the places I sweat, hands aren't it. I'll call myself lucky.
  • chloeelizabethm
    chloeelizabethm Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I find this whenever I move up a weight but sometimes wonder if it's just the weight being heavier than my hands want to grip before getting used to it, as what my grip was slipping on a month ago is fine now.

I wear gloves, but not sure if it makes much difference to my grip as I've always worn them.
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    Options

Love the stuff. Bought my first bottle and started using is a few weeks ago. Bought two more so I don't runout. Grip greatly improved to the point that after deadlifing I've considered leaving it on to help grip things in the kitchen. Things have a tendency to end up on the floor. My poor aching CNS.
  • alyhuggan
    alyhuggan Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I have exceptionally sweaty hands at the gym. Invested in liquid chalk at my home gym about a year ago and still using the same bottle at a commercial gym now. The bar would slip through my hands on basically everything if I didn't have the stuff.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    I use a mixed grip and I've never experienced any additional strain because of it...
  • juliewatkin
    juliewatkin Posts: 764 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    If bicep strain is your concern, use a hook grip. If trained properly it will yield the same grip strength as mixed. I only use this grip. It's double overhand with your thumbs wrapped under your fingers.

tkikzczic5in.jpg
  • zipa78
    zipa78 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Chalk and hook grip. Chalk does not make a mess unless you really want it to. Liquid chalk is of course also an option, but at least the resin based ones make much more of a mess in my opinion than regular chalk. The resins leave a sticky residue everywhere you touch.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    I have this problem with sweaty hands, too.

There's chalk available at my gym. People manage to use it without spreading it beyond about a foot of the container. I think you'd be fine with it.

I will say, though ... if it's your hands that are sweating and they're not just getting wet from sweat from your arms, I'd still layer antiperspirant on your palms underneath the chalk, or the sweat might still break through.
  • 34blast
    34blast Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    If you dont' want to use chalk, which I recommend, how about a rosin bag? You know the kind baseball players use.
    Warm up and all sets with double overhand as much as possible, rosin or chalk
    If you can't make that weight with double overhand use mixed grip
    Hook grip if you can man it up, but I don't do this because of weird lingering thumb issues from a dislocation
    Straps as a last resort only for heaviest set if required