Wanting some help!

Options
Bryana321
Bryana321 Posts: 1
edited January 2015 in Getting Started
I'm new to trying to lose weight. I downloaded this app a while ago but today I decided it was time to actually use it! Any tips you can give a newbie?

Replies

• orgurl
    orgurl Posts: 8
    Options
    Get a weight loss journal. I have one and I love it. I started by putting the date for each Sunday until the day I wanted to be at my goal weight (for me that was June 28th). So then you can weigh yourself weekly to see your progress. I also have a workout plan in there I follow for everyday of the week. You should also right your feelings and thoughts in the journal. Also, this app is great about making supportive friends. Add me if you want and I can share more of my tips with you. I'm trying to lose 25lbs and need a supporter.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Log all your food. After you have a solid few days data, have a good hard look at what you are eating and see where you could make improvements.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Most people set their weight loss goals too aggressively, then struggle to get by on 1200 cal per day. Most people can eat more than this and lose weight. How much weight do you have to lose? 1lb per week weight loss is a sensible goal for most people.

MFP sets up your calorie goal with a deficit included, meaning you should lose weight if you stick to the goal and do not exercise. When you exercise, MFP credits you with extra calories. It is expected that you eat at least some of these extra calories - exercise requires fuel.

MFP also sets 'macro' goals (protein, fats, carbs). Try and hit these as close as possible to ensure your getting a good nutritional balance.

Be as accurate as possible with your food log. Use a food scale if/when possible - portion sizes can be surprising.