Weight loss predictor

Options
fayeth1st
fayeth1st Posts: 22 Member
how accurate is the weight loss predictor?
(The screen that comes up after you logg your calories for the day)

Replies

• ransaka
    ransaka Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    My personal opinion is hardly at all because it is saying "if you eat exactly this and exercise exactly like this every day then x will happen" and you're not going to eat like that or you'll go insane. :smile: Weight loss tends not to be linear either, you move around more some days than others and therefore burn a few more calories etc.

• fayeth1st
    Options
    Thank you. I was wondering how that worked.
  • Simone_Erasmus
    Options
    It told me in 5 weeks i will weigh 6 kg less than i already do. 5 weeks? and i already lost 4kg in 2 weeks...? not exactly accurate.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Its just a rule of thumb, so use it as that. Its just based on the idea that 1lb is 3500 calories, so an aggregate deficit of that will give you a theoretical 1lb loss.

Weight loss isnt linear, which is an oft repeated phrase for a reason. The calculation is fine, but when you learn more about weight loss then you realise there are lost of other factors at play and one of your key tasks is to make sure your calorie counting is accurate. You still have to do the work.
  • fayeth1st
    Options
    Thank you.
  • noynoyavery
    noynoyavery Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I haven't heard that rule 3500 calories is 1lb. So if I work off 3500 over a week maybe I should loose 1lb on my normal non diet, but more if I start a diet? ..Sorry Brain is tired as no sleep , thanks x
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    I haven't heard that rule 3500 calories is 1lb. So if I work off 3500 over a week maybe I should loose 1lb on my normal non diet, but more if I start a diet? ..Sorry Brain is tired as no sleep , thanks x

I think its actually 3555, but its commonly taken to be 3500. The 3500 need to be a deficit of 3500 i.e 3500 less than maintenance, then you have a theoretical 1lb loss, but just burning 3500 would depend on what else you were doing.

Find out what your maintenance is, then you will see MFP or any of the calorie calculators use the 500 calories a day as a rough measure for fixing a target goal. The importnat task is to make sure your calorie count is accurate, on what you burn (MFP overestimates on a lot of things), what you eat (people underestimate), which cna make big differences and are the most common reasons for people not losing when they think they should be.

Hence weighing your food is useful. Start there. Its much easier to eat less than exercise off an equivalent amount. If you aimed fo 1lb a week then you migt want to do -250 a day by eating less and -250 a day from exercise.=-500.

Its importnat you get the basics correct and adjust/ review as you go along.
  • sandown12
    sandown12 Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    It told me in 5 weeks i will weigh 6 kg less than i already do. 5 weeks? and i already lost 4kg in 2 weeks...? not exactly accurate.

Week 1&2 are higher losses
  • Simone_Erasmus
    Options
    ok maybe thats fair. then i will report back in 3 weeks
  • noynoyavery
    noynoyavery Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Thank you 999trigger I do under eat every day anyway (not a huge eater) just need to excercise more! x