Scale Number, Fitness Level, Body Image - WOW! NSV (may be somewhat long)

Options
47Jacqueline
47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
Yesterday, my brain went, AHHHHH! I GET IT!. I had a mental breakthrough, where the number on my scale, the results of my ongoing workout program and the reality of what my body looks like came together. I believe I've finally freed myself from the tyranny of the number on the scale and don't have to worry that any moment I will balloon up to pre MFP-level

I've maintained for about a 2 years within a 4lb range, for the most part, but recently I seem to be stuck at the top of my range and have been very frustrated because I (yes, I know someone will disagree with my self-analysis) am very active and an honest with myself logger. I was a yo yo dieter and I've spent my whole life worrying about a number on the scale.

Anyway, in the year after I reached maintenance and my goal number (5'3", 126lb), I went from a size 8 to a size 4 without losing additional weight. The last time I was a size 4 was after having my appendix out and dropping to 115lb.

What I've also started noticing, is that I have muscle definition! Noticeable muscle definition in my shoulders and back especially. When I move my body you can actually see the muscles moving - not just skin. :o

I workout primarily in group exercise classes and do a combination of cardio and strength classes. I also use a bicycle for transportation. Recently, I've started teaching Aqua Zumba and so am doing a lot of individual work as I choreograph the songs for my classes.

In my tenure on MFP I've read various posts by women who said that when they started developing muscles, they also found their weight changed, but more importantly, their bodies changed. Well, suddenly (or not so suddenly), that's me! B)

Thank you, everyone on MFP! The supporters, the detractors, all those people who are fed up, people who have put me down or built me up, strugglers, successes. Whee! <3 (*) >:)o:)

Replies

• AliceSwarthout
    AliceSwarthout Posts: 808 Member
    Options
    Great NSV ;)
  • marvy1_nyc
    marvy1_nyc Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Fantastic! I hate the tyranny of scale numbers, but did a little game with myself this week. I weighed in on my official day +2. The next day, I was -2. So, I chalked it up to a fluctuation and moved on with my life. But still, for those 48 hours...hahaha!
  • yasmine334
    yasmine334 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    happy for u (*)
  • MargueriteMuguet
    MargueriteMuguet Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Yeah awesome! I love it when you just realise that everything is still alright and you ve actually made progress. I am also shooting to change my body not necessarily weight :-) thanks for sharing!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!