Walking during a marathon may reduce strain...

2»

Replies

• SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    I can definitely see that. When I run intervals, my pace is significantly better than my run only training pace. That walk break makes a huge difference. But I still prefer to push myself and run entire races. My race pace is still faster than my interval pace because I'm rested and pushing myself.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    I bet riding a bike during a marathon is even less stressful on the joints and I bet riding in a car is even less stressful still. But since we're talking about an endurance running event, I probably shouldn't mention the absurdly obvious.
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Just another observation, the results identify that subjective reporting of fatigue was different between the two groups, but objective physiological assessments indicated similar outcomes. So that would suggest that the reduced discomfort is as much psychological. I guess there's no way to measure the effects of telling people for twelve weeks that they're doing a training plan that'll lead to lower pysiological impact.

Yes, this is the finding that interests me, too.

I read a study that I can no longer find (at least I hope I read it) about the benefits of compression socks/tights for *recovery* being significantly placebo effect. The wearers felt their muscles recovered faster, but the biomarkers of muscular damage were the same as the control group. I wonder if a similar mechanism is in play between perception of pain--underlying biology. (Of course, now when I look for the study I find a bunch of stuff about wearing socks while running...I'll keep looking).
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Didn't train? Run/walk! Want to make a certain time at your first 5k? Why not run/walk instead? Its easier! Its so much easier to just always run/walk and never improve!
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Just another observation, the results identify that subjective reporting of fatigue was different between the two groups, but objective physiological assessments indicated similar outcomes. So that would suggest that the reduced discomfort is as much psychological. I guess there's no way to measure the effects of telling people for twelve weeks that they're doing a training plan that'll lead to lower pysiological impact.

Yes, this is the finding that interests me, too.

I read a study that I can no longer find (at least I hope I read it) about the benefits of compression socks/tights for *recovery* being significantly placebo effect. The wearers felt their muscles recovered faster, but the biomarkers of muscular damage were the same as the control group. I wonder if a similar mechanism is in play between perception of pain--underlying biology. (Of course, now when I look for the study I find a bunch of stuff about wearing socks while running...I'll keep looking).
    If you find it, post it. I'd love to see it. I had a guy at the expo for my race this weekend trying to sell me a pair. I didn't bite.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Why bother? Seriously. Hopefully more races start lowering the cutoff times - 6 hours is a good start.

6:30:00 is enforced in a fair number of marathons. That's a 15:00 pace.
  • sjaplo
    sjaplo Posts: 974 Member
    This would be another instance of the normalization of deviance.

I'm all for run/walk during beginner training, but surely the point to running is to run. My wife has a friend who enters walking marathons, but they are specifically for walkers.

If you can't run the distance, you shouldn't enter the race.
  • noexcusesjustresults2014
    noexcusesjustresults2014 Posts: 212 Member
    edited January 2015
    It does not both me that instead of racing a marathon for time many people these days have a goal to finish even it if means crawling across the finish line. Completing a marathon is a goal for many people and I am happy for all those that achieve it.

My real concern is the lack of proper training before that 1st marathon. Personally I think it would be a lot more enjoyable for people if they took more time to gradually build up training mileage beforehand. Assuming proper training a lot less people would feel the need to walk at all (except for perhaps at water stations to avoid spilling etc).

Ignoring all timing issues, injury risk is also reduced with proper training.