Different workout = not losing weight?

Options
So, over Christmas I put on the expected three pounds or so. I've successfully lost 15 and maintained for the past year. Any time I got over maintenance, I scaled back for a few weeks and then I was fine again. This time around, I haven't been able to loose a darn pound. I'm doing the same thing as I always have, except I switched my major workout from power yoga to weights. It seems silly to think I've converted my 3lbs of Christmas fat into muscle in a month. I'm wondering if because I'm not sweating out a ton of water every workout the way I did with yoga if this is my normal non-yoga weight? Any thoughts on this? It's not a big deal, as my body still looks fine, but it does irk me.

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    When starting a new program, it's normal to retain water.
  • battybecks
    battybecks Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Ahhh, this is exactly what has happened to me this year! My Christmas weight is not shifting, but my measurements are the same as they were before Christmas. I logged over Christmas so I knew exactly how many calories I was over (my calorie "debt" as I've been calling it) and despite having repaid them all, I'm still a couple of pounds heavier.

Yes, it will be the lifting. I would like to think I've put on a little bit of muscle (hell, I can see that I have) but probably not very much - a lot of it will be the muscles retaining water as they repair ... which is a repetitive cycle. I lift, water floods in, muscles repair on my day off, I lift again.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    It's not likely you gained muscle. You have to eat over maintenance along with heavy lifting to gain muscle. I would give it a couple more weeks. My weight always goes up a little when I start a new lifting routine or up the intensity. It's normal. It could have something to do with the sweating/water weight thing, too. If you're sure you're in a calorie deficit, you're fine. If your weight doesn't level out over the next couple of weeks, maybe reevaluate your calorie intake.
  • wildflower83558
    wildflower83558 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat as you. I usually gain a little over the holidays but am generally able to loose it with working out and counting calories. For some reason this year the process seems MUCH slower. I loose a lb and then I gain it back the next and then I loose it etc. It's irking me too! I'm not gonna give up though.
  • sshintaku
    sshintaku Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat as you. I usually gain a little over the holidays but am generally able to loose it with working out and counting calories. For some reason this year the process seems MUCH slower. I loose a lb and then I gain it back the next and then I loose it etc. It's irking me too! I'm not gonna give up though.

Exactly this! I know scale weight is just a number - I don't feel/look bloated or anything and I can certainly tell a difference in muscle tone, but it's frustrating to have worked so hard to hit a certain number and then not be able to get back there, even though I'm doing all the same things I did before that were very successful!