What do you do after splurging on breakfast?

Options
linnaeus
linnaeus Posts: 36 Member
Totally let myself go with breakfast this morning - there were some healthy choices like baked home fries rather than fried, refried beans, tofu...but I still ate near 1/2 of my daily calorie limit mostly due to poor portion control. Most days I can evenly space out the calories but with days like this I don't know the best way to deal.

What do you do the rest of the day after something like this? How do you keep yourself in check and not getting irritably hungry for the next 12 hours? All suggestions heartily welcome, though non-meat answers preferred ;)

Replies

• Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Totally let myself go with breakfast this morning - there were some healthy choices like baked home fries rather than fried, refried beans, tofu...but I still ate near 1/2 of my daily calorie limit mostly due to poor portion control. Most days I can evenly space out the calories but with days like this I don't know the best way to deal.

What do you do the rest of the day after something like this? How do you keep yourself in check and not getting irritably hungry for the next 12 hours? All suggestions heartily welcome, though non-meat answers preferred ;)

go to the gym, go for a hike, pull out the bicycle, play basket ball, go swimming.. etc..

Also.. eat normally.. one day will not hurt you.
  • gceinca
    gceinca Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    For the rest of the day, eat "low density" foods (veggies, soup, etc.) for the most part, along with some type of protein (tuna, yogurt). For instance, I keep cans of french style green beans (no salt added) on hand. If I'm hungry at some point during the day (mid afternoon or evening), I heat up a can and eat the whole thing. Only 70 calories!
  • momzeeee
    momzeeee Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I only eat twice a day, so this wouldn't be a problem for me, but how many calories do you have left for the day? If you only have a couple hundred left scramble up some eggs with veggies, or do a large, dinner plate sized salad with a hb egg etc. Eggs can be your best friend when you need low calorie meal ideas :)
  • 2013sk
    2013sk Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    I would either get my butt down the gym, and burn them calories off.......or I would just learn from it....and move on!!!
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    Do an intense workout, eat fairly normally the rest of the day, and make sure I don't do it again tomorrow.
  • srey0701
    srey0701 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    If I splurge on breakfast, I'll usually skip lunch and eat a light dinner. Maybe have a starbucks for lunch but nothing more than that! Seems to work and I still see a loss after those days. Good luck, it's not the end of the world :)
  • susanswan
    susanswan Posts: 1,194 Member
    Options
    It was quite shocking to see a small breakfast I had at a charity deal that was 2 small pancakes, 2 sausages, some scrambled eggs, a bit of syrup and butter, and some cream in my coffee and oj come in at nearly 1000 calories once! NEVER AGAIN! I always wonder how those big IHOP breakfasts weigh in! Used to love those! I think it is called "Live and Learn". If you don't learn you are never going to get anywhere, so just take your lumps and learn the lesson! Then follow the exercise advice and eat veggies for the rest of the day. you can eat a LOT of veggies for few calories.
  • mhcoss
    mhcoss Posts: 220
    Options
    count the calories and eat less at dinner
  • cappri
    cappri Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options

go to the gym, go for a hike, pull out the bicycle, play basket ball, go swimming.. etc..

This right here.
  • viragoeap
    viragoeap Posts: 107
    Options
    Shouldn't make too much of a difference as a 'one off' however, I would workout more during the day which would make me feel better about it!
  • howardheilweil
    howardheilweil Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Do an intense workout, eat fairly normally the rest of the day, and make sure I don't do it again tomorrow.
    Yes! Exercise will get you back (or close) in sync for the day. I'd rather have that issue after breakfast then after dinner:)
  • CristinaL1983
    CristinaL1983 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    For the rest of the day, eat "low density" foods (veggies, soup, etc.) for the most part, along with some type of protein (tuna, yogurt). For instance, I keep cans of french style green beans (no salt added) on hand. If I'm hungry at some point during the day (mid afternoon or evening), I heat up a can and eat the whole thing. Only 70 calories!

^^ Yes! Zucchini/squash/carrot stir fry is ridiculously low in calories for a huge quantity of food. If you need protein, eggs are great or even egg whites.
  • juliegrey1
    juliegrey1 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Go and do whatever workout you normally do!Eat normally for the rest of the day,dont beat yourself up its only one day! Tomorrow begin again!!!:flowerforyou:
  • linnaeus
    linnaeus Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, you're awesome. I'll try and get a workout in and plan a veggie stirfry for later. I agree it's just one day, just want to make sure it doesn't destroy my momentum :)
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i lost a good amount of weight last year doing that. 2 meals work best for me because i prefer large meals.
    having a 800-1200 calorie meal for me at breakfast isnt that big of a deal because i'm more than likely not going to be hungry again for another 8-10 hours, so it all evens out
  • goodtimezzzz
    goodtimezzzz Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    Its really a wonderful balance the fit body equation! I just had a 2000 calorie post workout meal..also this was my 1st meal of the day..so we can call it breakfast at 3pm...so this evening I will enjoy a wonderful salad some fruit and some Chocolate..its easy
    as long as it fits within your daily plan..:)
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    I don't see a problem at all. Even if you eat half your allowed calories you still have the other half out of which you can usually get at least one more meal and a decent snack. Often the fear of going hungry is all in our mind.
    If you eat as an example 1400 calories and eat 700 for breakfast there is still a lot to do with the remaining 700. Maybe you need to make a bit of an extra effort, but you can do it.
    I am a breakfast person and I find if I eat a big breakfast it takes me well into the afternoon and I can either skip lunch, or I eat lunch and then only have a late snack. Calories are usually not a problem at all.
    But if for some reason other than actual physical hunger you feel you need extra food, you could either go over and be done with it, but maybe do it not too often, or do some extra exercise to balance things out.
    Good Luck !
  • mikemc620
    mikemc620 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    On the weekends, my "breakfast" is usually after my workout and consists of eggs with veggies, toast and milk. (8eggs, 4 slices of toast and 2 cups of milk). But this is usually around 1 and about 1600 calories. But eating at 2700 cal maintenance I will have to have an 1100 calorie meal for dinner unless I snack in the afternoon or evening, which I generally don't do. But I will have a few beers tonight watching some hockey.
    In general I don't look at my daily calories and just try to make sure I hit it for the entire week.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

this. try to do better next weekend
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    Chicken n veggies rest of the day! Train hard. Get back on track tomorrow.