Isn't it ironic....

Options
So about 2 years ago for a solid 6 months I was KILLING myself at the gym, and lost some weight it was somewhat noticeable but I wasn't tracking my weight so i'm not sure exactly how much I lost. That summer was a series of unfortunate events and everything kind of went out the window, then I was introduced to MFP in September. I continued eating low calorie and killing it at the gym, when I could. I lost about 10 lbs between September and February and was STARVING and FRUSTERATED. I finally gave up all together this past summer, and attempted to focus on weight lifting and the diet went out the window.... I joined Weight Watchers in October, after a HORRIBLY DEGRADING doctors appointment, so again I was under eating and killing it at the gym and just feeling completely drained, miserable, hungry and light headed.... That's when I decided to switch back to MFP and looked into the book New Rules of Lifting for Women and really got back into strength training. Ironically my weight has not changed that much over the past 2 years, + or - the same 10lbs, but once I started really focusing on heavy weights that's when everybody started to notice that I did look better...I have now begun adding more calories, and I can feel a difference, I am not as light headed, hungry or grumpy and my performance at the gym has increased substantially.

So for those of you eating 1500-1700 calories while killing it at the gym but still feeling stuck, I strongly suggest you reevaluate your goals and you will see a difference.

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    IN for lifting!
  • WandaMM1
    WandaMM1 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    Lifting makes better people. Fact.

I totally agree!
  • leooftheyear
    leooftheyear Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I am so sick of the "I'm eating 1500 calories/day and killing it at the gym and I'm not losing" WELL DUH!!!! Calculate your BMR and TDEE and eat food and lift!

I just had a discussion today with my coworker who is eating 1570 calories/day and is wondering why she binges....
  • AmandaHugginkiss
    AmandaHugginkiss Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    This is a great reminder. I'm at my highest weight in a very long time, but because of lifting, I'm in maintenance....and down 3 sizes from the last time I was this weight.
  • leooftheyear
    Options
    This is a great reminder. I'm at my highest weight in a very long time, but because of lifting, I'm in maintenance....and down 3 sizes from the last time I was this weight.

completely agree, my weight hasn't changed that much since September, maybe 10lbs but now the work clothes I bought back in September, which were too small, actually fit :smile:
  • InspoAdam
    InspoAdam Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    "I was under eating and killing it at the gym and just feeling completely drained, miserable, hungry and light headed"

There's your answer right there. If you are burning the calories, you need to put more in. Also, I don't know what you actually do when you're "killing it", but have you ever considered that you may have be training too hard?

Oh and in answer to your question, no, it's not ironic. ;)
  • jesiann2014
    jesiann2014 Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    Yes! I get it. And I so want others to 'get' it... Lifting hasn't moved the scale for me but I look better than I ever did back in my skinny days. :)
  • leooftheyear
    Options
    InspoAdam wrote: »
    "I was under eating and killing it at the gym and just feeling completely drained, miserable, hungry and light headed"

There's your answer right there. If you are burning the calories, you need to put more in. Also, I don't know what you actually do when you're "killing it", but have you ever considered that you may have be training too hard?

part of the issue was "low calories/high cardio" had been drilled into my head since I was in high school plus "carbs are evil". so in my mind 1500-1700 calories/day plus 2 body pump, 1 body attack, 1 spin, 1 conditioning and 2 body flow classes/week we=as what was going to get me the results I wanted....wasn't until I read New Rules of Lifting for Women that I realized I was wrong
  • leooftheyear
    Options
    Yes! I get it. And I so want others to 'get' it... Lifting hasn't moved the scale for me but I look better than I ever did back in my skinny days. :)

Same, at my lowest I was 190 and MISERABLE. now im 200 and I feel 1000 times better and more confident!
  • Th3Ph03n1x
    Th3Ph03n1x Posts: 275 Member
    Options

part of the issue was "low calories/high cardio" had been drilled into my head since I was in high school plus "carbs are evil". so in my mind 1500-1700 calories/day plus 2 body pump, 1 body attack, 1 spin, 1 conditioning and 2 body flow classes/week we=as what was going to get me the results I wanted....wasn't until I read New Rules of Lifting for Women that I realized I was wrong

Yeah they need to quit selling the cardio for weight loss and see strength training for fat cutting instead... too few people realize how much weights benefit fat loss.
  • leooftheyear
    Options
    Th3Ph03n1x wrote: »

Yeah they need to quit selling the cardio for weight loss and see strength training for fat cutting instead... too few people realize how much weights benefit fat loss.

I completely agree, when I went to the gym for my fitness evaluation the guy who was doing my evaluation took one look at me, at 200lbs and told me that I could lose 50lbs and I needed to "stop lifting like a man" I told him I was doing stronglifts 5x5 and was thinking about switching to New Rules of Lifting for Women.... I honestly believe if I had listened to his advise I'd still be in the same boat but, I disregarded his advise (especially after the trainer took me out and tested my strength and I passed with flying colors then the guys attitude changed and he asked me if I had ever considered entering a strong woman competition) and refocused on strength training and read New Rules of Lifting for Women and incorporated a little cardio
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    Lifting makes better people. Fact.

^^Truth. I do body weight training (progressive, dynamic calisthenics), so I'm just half as good as the lifters ;) . But...I'm better than I was last year. Take that, old lazy, flabby self! And yep, I can eat as much as I did when I was getting "fluffy" and still remain lean (and get even more lean).
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Is that irony by Alanis Morrissette's definition then?

Yes to Lifting

Yes to calorie calories

Yes to pedantry .. mwahahahahahaaaaaa

sorry .. I have an allergy t8bb.jpg
  • leooftheyear
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Is that irony by Alanis Morrissette's definition then?

Yes to Lifting

Yes to calorie calories

Yes to pedantry .. mwahahahahahaaaaaa

sorry .. I have an allergy t8bb.jpg

I was definitely channeling Alanis Morrissette LOL