Can someone please explain BMR and macros to me?

Options
I am sure this has been asked before, but I wasn't able to find it. If there's a link someone can post, then you guys don't have to explain again. :)

I know that BMR is basal metabolic rate. I know my calculated BMR is about 1700 calories. If I'm not supposed to eat less than this, why does MFP tell me to aim for about 1500 (with no exercise)? I've only been at this since May 19th, and I do tend to eat around 1700 calories a day (though sometimes I make bad choices and eat more). I just want to know if I should be aiming for 1700 or 1500 calories. It hasn't impacted my weight loss yet but I'm afraid it might in the long run.

And as for macros, I really have no idea what that means. I see on posts sometimes people telling the OP to "watch your macros". What does that mean and why is it important?

Replies

• Andrea8985
    Andrea8985 Posts: 107
    Options
    Bump.
  • MzManiak
    MzManiak Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    If your BMR is really 1700, then that is the minimum you should be eating. MFP does not know your BMR. If MFP is giving you 1500 as your goal, it is based off of how fast you told MFP you wanted to lose weight (0.5, 1, or 2 pounds per week). Every one tends to choose 2 pounds per week automatically. Of course, we all want to see the fastest results possible. But it's not always what is best. You can change it so that it works better for you long term.

Macros are all of the little components that make up your diet. Not JUST calories. You need to keep your protein up, fats around 35% and carbs around 40% (for most people)... others could include fiber, sodium, sugar, etc.

I'm no expert, just passing on information I have gathered in my short time here at MFP. It's definitely a learning experience!