Learning to Run

Options
I'm about 65 lbs overweight, get terrible shin splints and want to learn to run... Any tips?

Replies

• questionfear
    questionfear Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    Here are my tips. I've never suffered from shin splints, but I did tear my left ACL, and ran 4 half marathons all post-surgery. And I started it while 40lbs overweight. So you aren't alone. :)

A few tips:
    -Find a really good running store near you. You want to find one that will fit you for shoes and has a generous return policy if the shoes don't feel right once you run in them a few times. Most good running stores will let you return them (especially if you just do a treadmill run or two to get a feel for them). Unless you have a podiatrist advising you, don't buy the upsold insoles. Personally, I am a huge huge fan of minimal running shoes, but that's in large part due to my knee issues. Ask to try neutral and stability shoes, and stay away from motion control (again, unless a podiatrist or orthopedist tells you otherwise). Remember that at the end of the day, you know your body far better than the shoe salesman does, and don't feel pressured to buy the wrong shoe because they think it's a better choice. (I could write a whole treatise on running shoes, but we'll stop there).

-Couch to 5k (C25k) is a great program for beginners. There's tons of free apps out there guiding you on how to start. Basically it will have you walk for several minutes, run for a set period, then walk again, and slowly increase the ratio of running to walking. It's a good way to ease into things if you need a structured run/walk program.

-If you don't, or you like to wing it like I do, just create your own run/walk. I started mine on the treadmill and then moved outside, but basically I did 2 miles with 2 min walking/1 min running, and as soon as my knee felt stronger I did 2/2 and then 1/2, then just did walk breaks every 1/2 mile to mile or as it felt necessary.

-Sign up for a local 5k, especially one that advertises "walkers welcome". It's a good way to have a set goal, and running is such a solitary sport that it's fun to get together with other runners. Don't be afraid of being slow; everyone is slow sometimes, and a race with a lot of walkers means you won't be last (and even if you are, you still got out there!) Plus, free t-shirt (usually)!

As far as your shin splints, you can try these tips from Runners World, but as a rule of thumb-don't push it too hard too fast, and make sure you're wearing good shoes.

Good luck!
  • reneesmith1974
    Options
    Thanks so much for the information, I did got to a running store and they had me get on a treadmill first before finding shoes. Do you suggest any certain stretches before I get on the treadmill, not so good at stretching first. I figure the more I get on there and the more weight I lose my shin splints will get better.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I learned to run at the age of 43. If I can, anyone can.

I will echo the good shoes and the c25k program. The beauty of the program is it takes you slow, building up the walking and running intervals until there's more running than walking, and eventually you're running for 30 minutes straight.

Do not worry about speed or distance when you first start - just stick with the program, go as slow as you need to in order to complete each session's time. Slow running is still running! Speed comes later.

As for stretching before starting, the c25k program has you walk at a good pace for 5 minutes before starting any of the run intervals, which is a great warm up. If you want to do a little more before you go out or step on the treadmill, so some dynamic stretches, things where you're moving - lunges, high knee march, straight leg kicks, , etc. Save the static stretches where you hold a position for 20-30 seconds for after the run.

Good luck!
  • questionfear
    Options
    I agree, dynamic stretches or an increasingly brisk walk at the start is the best way to warm up. I used to start by walking my dog first, then running, and as I ran longer I would just take the first mile slower to get my blood flowing.
  • merryberry99
    merryberry99 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    If you need a running buddy from afar, feel free to add me. LOL! I'm trying to get started as well. I'm trying the couch to 5k plan (can I call it a plan?). So far, I like it because it starts slow. I'm giving myself the go head to alter it if it jumps up too fast. This sounds silly, but something that has helped me run is watching something instead of just listening to music. However, I think that's because I just got sick of my music and what my apps played. When I started watching something on my phone, it helped me focus less on the running or the amount of time left to run.
  • questionfear
    Options
    Watching a show is great on the treadmill!

However, and I'm going to get on my soapbox for a second here, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE don't wear headphones while running outside, or if you do, keep one bud off your ear. You can never assume that other drivers can see you, or that someone isn't going to take advantage of your distraction, or that a dog isn't loose somewhere. And get a RoadID. It's $20 and major peace of mind. (I've also heard of people just making dogtags for themselves using the pet tag machines at pet stores-it's a cheaper option). Don't assume that having ICE contacts on your phone is enough, phones can get broken or stolen, and paramedics are trained to not touch your personal belongings (they'll look for a dogtag or a medical ID bracelet). Also, don't get a tag that attaches to your shoe, shoes can get knocked off in an accident.

I had a friend who was a firefighter and a runner, and all those tips came from him; he was pretty adamant about them, since having good ID and being aware of your surroundings can make an enormous amount of difference in your safety, especially if you're running when it's dark out. When I was training for long races and used to run before dawn, I learned pretty quickly which routes to avoid due to things like distracted drivers and loose dogs (once I stared down some sort of Rottweiler mix-that'll wake you up quickly!)

Anyhow, sorry to jump on my soapbox, but I worry about safety!
  • higgins8283801
    higgins8283801 Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    Couch to 5k! I used it and while it took me about 12 weeks, I'm now up to 5 miles 3-4 days a week!

C25k starts you off running 30 seconds and gradually increases the time you run. It has an app that can be used with pandora or any music really and will break in to tell you when to start walking and when to start running.