Wake Up Call

Options
ptipton520
ptipton520 Posts: 83 Member
edited January 2015 in Introduce Yourself
I'll be 69 in a couple of months and I've been overweight all my adult life however I've always thought of myself as pretty healthy. My medicine box isn't much different than most folks my age (and that in itself may be a problem). But my blood work last week has really made an impact. Triglycerides and cholesterol were fine (those are the two I have had the most trouble with) but my A1C was 9.2 (normally 6.4)! So doc doubled my oral medication.

In addition to the A1C I'm really coming to grips with how all of this is going to impact me as I age. My mother is 94 and has been in a care center for the last two years primarily because she couldn't keep tract of her medication correctly and she was feeling unsafe in her home. Here's the problem - I'm a carbon copy of my mom so that means I've got probably 20 more years of life and I want to feel as good as my mother did during her years 69-89.

So Wake Up, Smell the Roses, and Just Do It! The objective(s): 1 - Get A1C back down in the 6.4-7.0 range; 2 - start using myfitnesspal to record everything I eat and to plan meals; 3 - start exercising by doing 7-10 minutes each evening on my treadmill and doing two sets of all my upper body weight training; 4 - lose enough weight that my insurance will pay for a panniculectomy.

I'm not setting any length of time goals other than doing it day to day. This time it needs to be a life style change.

Replies

• usflygirl55
    usflygirl55 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Wow. Sounds like you know what you need to do. I wish you the best of luck in your journey. It is great to have friends on here to help cheer you on. Feel free to send a request if you would like. I will gladly help cheer you on your journey. :smiley: