What is okay for coffee sweetener?

Options
I've been using Splenda but worry about the chemicals in it. Today I was forced to use sugar and feel so guilty! What is a safe and calorie free or low calorie alternative to sugar to sweeten coffee or tea?

Replies

• mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Sugar. It's only 16 calories per teaspoon. you can probably fit that into your daily calorie goal. All-natural too.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Why do you feel guilty? Unless you have a metabolic disorder, you don't need to worry about sugar.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    I use any generic artificial sweetner. Given they're some of the most rigorously tested substances on earth I'm happy with that.

This.

Everything is made up of chemicals.
  • LifeInTheBikeLane
    LifeInTheBikeLane Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I used to use splenda/equal/sweet and low and decided it wasn't worth it.

Try doing some vanilla almond milk if you like the taste of coffee still. I drink my coffee black as night 99% of the time. If it's from a store I do a normal serving of sugar because it is still low in calories and better for you then splenda.
  • clambert1273
    clambert1273 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    use whatever you want.... I still use plenty of creamer in my coffee... I am OK with that.. I log it and that will never change lol
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    I drink coffee black, but when I need a sweetener for something I use stevia. It is calorie free, natural, and I like the taste. It is sweeter than sugar, so make sure you use less.
  • soccermom004
    soccermom004 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I use stevia. It's natural like sugar. If there is no stevia I use sugar. It's not a huge amount of sugar.
  • JayRuby84
    JayRuby84 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I don't use any sweetener most of the time, and then other times I use a sweetened creamer. It's only 35 or 40 cals and in the grand scheme of things doesn't take up a lot of room. If you put a quarter cup of sweetened cream in your cup just log it accurately.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    Regular sugar is fine, artificial sweeteners are fine. Use what you like. There is no evidence that artificial sweeteners are bad for you or that sugar is bad for you. It's just fear mongering and bad science that has people believe that.
  • clambert1273
    clambert1273 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    use whatever you want.... I still use plenty of creamer in my coffee... I am OK with that.. I log it and that will never change lol

Haha me too. Occasionaly I put Heavy whipping cream in my coffee when I'm feeling indulgent. (Fats! the horror!) and it's delish! And I log it and it fits so now harm, no foul.

I will totally give up my 200 cals to coffee every. stinking. day... don't care.. I enjoy it and it makes me happy...

I will even have my starbucks lattee as well ;)
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    Sugar.

Seriously, why would you feel guilty over a 16 calorie spoon of sugar? (or any food, but really, 16 calories is NOT going to throw off your deficit, is it?)
  • sgthaggard
    sgthaggard Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    Sugar.
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    I prefer Maple Syrup (seriously - try it!) but have switched to Stevia because I can grow my own. Those Sugar Maples have another 20-ish years before they're worth tapping.

:)
  • jademarie2005
    jademarie2005 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I've been using candarel
  • Numberwang22
    Numberwang22 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Stevia here as well, thinking of growing some this year and trying in its raw form.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    unless youre diabetic or putting in a cup of it, dont worry about it. LOL i use flavored creamers, other people use sugar, some use stevia or splenda, some use other stuff. whatever you like. i think sometimes we over-analyze things ;)
  • vs_shine
    vs_shine Posts: 1,322 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    natural sugar is great, but I took a look at your profile and i see that you are still a good ways away from your final goal. Ya know, scientists these days say we shouldn't add any unnecessary sugar to our foods. i'd suggest doing what i do. Drink your coffee black. Taste it for what it is. try being strict with yourself and see how it goes :-)
  • FitOldMomma
    FitOldMomma Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    I have no qualms with using sugar. I don't use sugar in my coffee, but I love me some cinnamon+sugar toast, lol.