How do I avoid calluses when lifting weights?

Options
2»

Replies

• DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    You don't. They're kind of unavoidable.

Yup.

I wish my hands would callous more because some lifts are extremely painful. I have perma-soft skin or something. Not cool.
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    They have a job to do, so leave them there. Lotion helps and I have occasionally smoothed them with a file / pumice as I find that makes them less likely to tear or peel.
  • jenluvsushi
    jenluvsushi Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    I love mine. It hurts way less when you have a good set of them. Just don't tear em!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    DopeItUp wrote: »
    herrspoons wrote: »
    You don't. They're kind of unavoidable.

Yup.

I wish my hands would callous more because some lifts are extremely painful. I have perma-soft skin or something. Not cool.

yeah- i can tell when I've been absent- and or have lost my build up- my lifts SUCK.

And doing anything with a long hold (pause deads- stiff leg deads- hanging leg raises) just are incredibly crappy.

get them- love them. lift more.
  • FitFitzy331
    FitFitzy331 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    tedrickp wrote: »
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTqNSgCmM2s

A tip from Mark Rippetoe on a grip tweak that can help with calluses.

^^^This^^^check your grip.

Exactly. I lift heavy 3-4 days a week and have almost no calloused skin on my hands.

I use chalk, check my grip before lifts, and also do exercises to improve grip strength, like farmer's walks.

Same here. Once I fixed my grip my callouses were basically gone. My hands aren't soft, they are smooth and appear fine but the skin there is strong. I use moisturizer a few times a day since its cold and dry af up here but looking at my hands you probably wouldn't think that I lift regularly.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    The first few times I went bare-handed, but then I went and bought a pair of gloves. I just bought the first pair I found. Turns out I was still getting calluses, so just yesterday I bought a new pair. I spent a little more money (not much more but a little), and I got a pair with more padding. They're also much more fitted than the first pair. I used them yesterday, and when I took them off my hands looked worse than they did with the first pair.

What advice can you give me about weight lifting gloves and/or any other ways to prevent calluses?

Thanks!

Prevent calluses?

Slice them off before they form.
  • cbhubbybubble
    cbhubbybubble Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Huh. I kinda love my callouses. Makes me feel cool.

Yep, me, too. I love them. They make me feel tough and I think they're sexy, although I find if I'm lifting consistently they become less pronounced. If I take time off from things like deadlifts, etc, for whatever reason, then my hands get out of practice and I get them more noticeably again...if that makes any kind of sense.

• Lofteren
    Lofteren Posts: 960 Member
    Options

Exactly. I lift heavy 3-4 days a week and have almost no calloused skin on my hands.

I use chalk, check my grip before lifts, and also do exercises to improve grip strength, like farmer's walks.

Same here. Once I fixed my grip my callouses were basically gone. My hands aren't soft, they are smooth and appear fine but the skin there is strong. I use moisturizer a few times a day since its cold and dry af up here but looking at my hands you probably wouldn't think that I lift regularly.

If you build up a decent deadlift you'll have callouses no matter what. Your grip can help but you'll still have chunks of skin that need to get shaved off periodically.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Lofteren wrote: »

If you build up a decent deadlift you'll have callouses no matter what. Your grip can help but you'll still have chunks of skin that need to get shaved off periodically.

Or, as I learned recently, the bar will happily remove them for you.