Counting Calories from Exercise on Elliptical / fitbit

Options
BeaBizzy
BeaBizzy Posts: 25 Member
edited January 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
Should I be wearing my fitbit while on my elliptical or does this exaggerate the calories burned? If I do 60 calorie work out on the elliptical with my fitbit on I am also logging those steps. What will give me the most accurate calories burned?

Replies

• zipa78
    zipa78 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    A heart rate monitor.
  • sgthaggard
    sgthaggard Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    zipa78 wrote: »
    A heart rate monitor.
    Yep. I wear my fitbit ('cause, steps) but also my hrm. When you log the exercise, fitbit will replace the calories it has calculated for the time with the calories you've inputted.

• dougpconnell219
    dougpconnell219 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    I just wear my fitbit charge hr and let it do its thing. Put it on exercise mode.
  • BeaBizzy
    Options
    I have been entering cardio exercise in MFP for my elliptical work out. This ends up being a seperate entry from the imported or linked fitbit calories. My fitbit-1 does not have an exercise mode and doesn't seem to over write my cardio entry! I think I may be using the two wrong by logging both steps from the fitbit earned during a cardio work out and logging the calories burned from my elliptical. Has anyone figured out if this is doubling down on thise calories burned?
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    What fitbit are you using? That is one key question. I use the Fitbit Charge and I just got it Saturday.

To me, putting it in exercise mode did not do too much. The Ellipitical trainer will not pick up steps unless you are using the arm rails. So if my hands were not in motion, no steps were calculated.

What I do now, is not wear it on the elliptical (only) and just log my stats into Fitbit.

• BeaBizzy
    Options
    I have the fitbit one. My elliptical allows me to enter my body metrics height weight... then it tells me time, speed, distance, calories, pulse and watt. I enter the elliptical time in cardio exercise on MFP and correct the calories burned to what the elliptical recorded for me. The steps that I get from my fitbit-one are included if I leave it on during these cardio workouts. I am thinking the calories burned on my elliptical should not include calories from the fitbit steps taken during the same workout. Or maybe I should not be entering my elliptical calories burned and just use the daily steps on my fitbit-one as my total calories burned for the day.