Is cutting calorie intake making me grumpy?

Options
savannahdougherty7
savannahdougherty7 Posts: 23 Member
edited January 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
Does anyone find themselves a little grouchier than they were pre-diet/lifestyle change? I think my body is naturally reacting, when I think about it, I was probably in-taking upwards of 3,000 calories a day. now I stay below 1,500. Is it normal to feel a little on edge while you make the adjustment?

Replies

• SLHysell
    SLHysell Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    That drastic of a cut might tend to make one a little grumpy. Sounds normal enough to me.
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    I get more moody when I reduce calories for a prolonged period of time. It's just something that happens. Periodic diet breaks can help. That's when you eat maintenance calories for 2 weeks before returning to a calorie deficit.
  • ArkMom35
    ArkMom35 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I tried the Atkins diet for one day and I turned into an absolute monster with no sugar or carbs. The next day I quit and started calorie counting and have not had any issues, I actually feel so much better. I was also eating 3000-4000 calories a day prior and now am set at 1770 (obviously what I eat ranges on the day and exercise). Are you eating enough? Eating the right foods? If you were a snack-a-holic like me I've found several low-calorie treats that are helping me feel like I'm getting a reward (happy!) but aren't breaking the calorie bank.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
    Options
    Yep, and I noticed I got grumpier the lower my calorie goal became. I ended up treating myself on my bday and felt great, no regrets except that I had to return to 1650 calories the next day. Xmas I said eff it and ate what I wanted and logged it all. Again, felt great and freeing, but so sad I had to return to eating 1620 calories. Taking January-February to figure out if MFP is accurate with my TDEE at 2150.

Ofc, I've been eating at a calorie deficit for 3 years, so there's that. :P
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I used to be more grumpy as undernourished and overfed, than in a slight calorie deficit and well fed :p

What are you eating? Are you denying yourself everything you like?
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    It won't last forever. Give it about a month. Once the foods you formerly thought were blah start tasting awesome, because you cut out the junk and your tastes change, you'll degrouch. I never imagined myself getting so much pleasure out of apples and green beans and stuff lol.
  • noynoyavery
    noynoyavery Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Oh my lord yes, Thanks for posting this, I am also on a detox, so really kilelr headaches at the mo (Day 3 so hoping it clears soon!)..Even I do not want to be around me!
  • erocks308
    Options
    Two weeks into a weight loss cycle and I'm good to go, but yes. Until then I'm a jerk.
  • Tea_Mistress
    Tea_Mistress Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I get moody when I don't have enough fat in my diet
  • helenarriaza
    helenarriaza Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Oh my lord yes, Thanks for posting this, I am also on a detox, so really kilelr headaches at the mo (Day 3 so hoping it clears soon!)..Even I do not want to be around me!

Not eating does that. Detoxes are scams.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    No, not at all. Perhaps it's because I've been spending so much time on the bicycle (http://www.bicycling.com/news/featured-stories/improve-your-self-esteem-start-riding?).
  • terar21
    terar21 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    It's normal to begin with. It'll go away soon.

Except I still rage over a few things: 1) you eat my food 2) you delay me getting to eat my meal/snack or 3) my day is perfectly planned out and you want to throw in some meal that makes me have to re-plan, to which I reply "I can't go to taco bell. I'm on an all carb diet. God Karen you're so stupid!"
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    This time of year in the northern hemisphere doesn't help either - such short days with not much sunlight, and the cold and dark makes lots of people pretty grumpy. So it kind of compounds.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    I think I was a little grumpy, but I think it had less to do with food than it did with change - I don't do changes well and I get pissy about them. So I think that was my main issue.
  • chriscrosse
    chriscrosse Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Think about it too, if you have been used to mediating emotions with food(as most of us do), it's going to be a tough transition. I would eat when I was tired, stressed, bored and now I have to work throughout the feeling or commit to the thing(like sleep) that will actually fix things. It's better long term but not easy at the beginning. My suggestion, maybe write a list of things you can do non food that make you feel great like a bath with good bath salts, massage, manicure, binge watch fav show… and space them out as rewards for getting through a few days?? Good luck!!
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    #hangry
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I was grouchier when A) not eating enough, b) being too strict with my "dieting" approach.

So for me, eating enough and making sure I just eat as I want for breakfast and lunch, and then just monitor the rest of my macros (to meet my protein needs) until I eat to my goal during the evening. I've been doing this for like.. .less than a week and my mood has already improved despite my macros not changing and not increasing (I actually just decreased) my intake. Before this I was being too regimented with myself and making myself eat x calories for each of my 3 meals. Now I eat breakfast, lunch, and then however many meals during the evening that I feel like; sometimes I eat all in one sitting, but usually I'll eat every few hours in the evening just because I prefer doing that.

Some people find that not eating enough fat causes mood issues. So if you are meeting your minimums (0.3x your total weight as a bare minimum) then you might just need to examine your approach to see if there are other factors contributing to your grouchiness.
  • royston_ashby
    royston_ashby Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    You can not go from one extreme to the next over night. Drop it gradually and up your activity levels. Do not neglect carbs. They give you energy and without energy you tend to be less happy (stating the obvious but some people don't understand carbs)
  • savannahdougherty7
    savannahdougherty7 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone, these were great responses! I just used my reports tool in mfp to see how much fat I was getting.. a few of you commented that may be the reason and someone else gave me an equation to figure out how much i should be having... .3 x 228 = 68.4 and I've haven't been going over 40.. i will consciously up my healthy fats, any suggestions on how to do that? Avacado?
  • CountessKitteh
    CountessKitteh Posts: 1,505 Member
    Options
    terar21 wrote: »
    It's normal to begin with. It'll go away soon.

Except I still rage over a few things: 1) you eat my food 2) you delay me getting to eat my meal/snack or 3) my day is perfectly planned out and you want to throw in some meal that makes me have to re-plan, to which I reply "I can't go to taco bell. I'm on an all carb diet. God Karen you're so stupid!"

I think you're my spirit animal.