Any other Super Tasters out there?

Options
Yes this is a real (condition)? We have extra taste buds. Usually in the 'bitter' area of the tongue.
Sometimes all over. It is genetic. Not picky eating. Not allergies.

I cannot eat anything even remotely hot, spicy, or highly flavoured.

No! Onions. Garlic. Peppers (of any kind), Herbs. Spices. Flavourings. Seasonings.
Vinegars. Some Greens. Many, many other things.

Three specks of black pepper burn on my tongue for Days. It is not a 'get used to it' keep trying, thing
Nor a 'grow out of it, get over it, it's all in your head' thing.

Most of us have textural issues as well. Many foods cause an immediate gag reflex.

And Yes I DO know 'What I Am Missing' (someone always hits me with this one)
I am missing a burning mouth and upset stomach. I'm good with that!
To me, plain unseasoned food has lots of flavour.

Outside of my family I have met a few others...... Any one on here?

Replies

• LeanneGoingThin
    LeanneGoingThin Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    There's no such thing as a 'bitter area' of the tongue. But you're right about the super tasters thing. They usally don't like chocolate because it tastes like soap, if I recall correctly.
  • TheDoctorDana
    TheDoctorDana Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    LOL This is too funny. I just finished watching this episode on Freaky Eaters with the French fry chic! I watch Netflix while on my stationary. You should check it out :)
  • gramacanada
    gramacanada Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Yes I guess I did say bitter 'area'
    Mostly the tongue is still referred to as having areas.

You were right to point out this is not so.
    Taste buds are not set up in areas. There are receptors for each flavour all over the tongue.

25 % of the population has an over abundance of them.

More than half my relatives have this (condition) Not one of us has it the same way.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I can't decide if this is a blessing or a curse.

Curios though, is there the opposite condition? I only ask because my tongue can tolerate tapatio, hard alcohols, wasabe and the like in amounts that make other's cringe.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    I have an ability to distinguish a host of ingredients in the food I'm eating, even in complex recipes or unusual foods. I don't have an aversion to bitter. To the contrary, I have a real love and appreciation for bitter. I even love goya melon.

I almost became a chef, and I kick myself that I didn't.
  • gramacanada
    Options
    to .... My Chocolate

There is! 25 % of the population is known as non-tasters or un-tasters. Google has lots of info.
    It can take a while sometimes to get through the junk science.
    Differences cover a broad spectrum. Supers have excess taste-buds.
    Non's have fewer.

to Beachginger. That would be a benefit! Lucky you.

Mostly I just go by All right, or Eeww!
  • bellesouth18
    bellesouth18 Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    I've read stuff on this before. I think there are 3 levels, but I can't remember what the middle level is called. There's actually a way to count your taste buds. I tell my husband all the time that I think his taste buds are dead because he can eat really hot peppers, etc. Can you guess what level his buds are? I think I'm in the middle to lower super range. I prefer plainer foods, too. I hate vinegar, don't eat ketchup (except on an occasional corn dog mixed with mustard), don't eat steak sauce, other condiments, etc. And I think Greek yogurt is bitter. But I can tolerate very slightly hot foods.

Edit: And don't even get me started on sour food. Don't like lemon unless it's sweetened, or grapefruit, and cooked spinach tastes gross (tastes too strong). My gag reflex is legendary as well. I can barely brush my teeth without throwing up in the sink.
  • gramacanada
    Options
    Ha! I knew it belle. I knew if someone did it would be you :)

Yeah 25 % Supers .... 25 % Nons.
    The rest somewhere in the middle.

No two are alike either. There are patterns. But no one size fits all.
  • Feenixfire
    Options
    Cilantro is what tastes like soap, but that's a different gene set.
    I had my genetics run on 23 and Me and have proof that I can taste the PROP chemicals.... abundantly. LOL
    Citrus fruits are horrible, broccoli makes me gag, and I don't like greens. I do like garlic though when it's cooked with a sweet onion, but I do add some salt and and a pinch of sugar when I do.
    Before this I never gave it much thought, there has always just been a huge list of things I don't like. :)
    It's good now to know it's normal for me to taste things the way I do.
    I empathize with you so much. You're not alone. (hugs)