Spagetti Squash...Yay or Nay?

Options
I'm curious about the texture and taste of spaghetti squash. I see so many recipes including it and I wanted to get some opinions before I tried it myself.

Replies

• Dewdropps
    Dewdropps Posts: 111
    Options
    It depends. It has almost no flavor, which is why it's great for a carb substitute like noodles, and can go with anything. You can also eat a TON of it with nearly no impact on your calories.

My kids love it, but I don't make it all the time.

You can also cook it to different tenderness preference. I prefer it a bit softer, so I bake it a little longer. Normal cooking advice I've found says to cook to "al dente"... but I don't even like my noodles that firm <3

Hope that helps ;)

**Edited to include:

You can use it as a noodle substitute, but you can also make it into a desert. For a sweet tooth, I add a little brown sugar or I've tried a bit of powdered cocoa (hot chocolate).

Good luck!
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    I hate the crunchy texture of it. Bring on the pasta!
  • carissar7
    carissar7 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    LOVE spaghetti squash!!! I usually make mine with tomato sauce and meatballs and I really feel like I never have to eat normal pasta again after having it. I've also eaten mine with just butter and salt, and that makes a great side dish. My mom growing up would make it a little sweet and put brown sugar and cinnamon on top, mmmm. I could eat a whole entire squash by myself if there wasn't other people to feed :)
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    I love it, but rarely use it with spaghetti sauce. Mostly, I use it for pad Thai.
  • smw1023
    smw1023 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Love it but it is not pasta. I make it many ways but have never tried to make it something it is not. Give it a try.
  • TheNewLorrain
    TheNewLorrain Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    it is delicious it needs to be cooked thoroughly or its too crunchy it is really like spaghetti but a vegetable you can treat it and eat it that way with sauce and cheese an amazing addition to your calories. Come to think of it I haven't had one this year! In other words.. its a big YAY from me......Lorrain
  • geekette411
    geekette411 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Love, love, love!!! I use it as noodles and YUM!
  • getrealforme
    Options
    Love it cooked to firm and add garlic salt and pepper. It is so good, and super low in calories.
  • dancerbyday
    Options
    I just LOVE spaghetti squash! Just make sure you cook it long enough (but not too long!) or the texture will be a little funny. I normally eat it with a little olive oil and salt and pepper.
  • StephF3692
    StephF3692 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    actually had some 2 nights ago for dinner! i made i with a turkey meat sauce, and it hit the spot! i recommend roasting it in the oven instead of just microwaving it.
  • yoscarlino
    yoscarlino Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    most definitely! it is yummy!
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    Yay yay yay!

Honestly, it looks a little like spaghetti, and it tastes pretty good with marinara on it, but that's where the pasta similarities end. However, that doesn't mean it's not good on its own merits! Roast it in the oven, scrape it out, toss with a little olive oil and some garlic powder and grated parm, yum yum.
  • cranium853
    cranium853 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    t's one of my new foods that I eat and go, "hey, what was that?" because it is a little different on the tongue but when I get to the calorie count it's fabulous. Garlic, tomato sauce, plain....it's good for you and although it isn't pasta it's free calories almost.
  • crapshack
    crapshack Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    The first time I tried it I could not believe the size of the portion on my plate. I think it was 2 cups for 68 calories. It packs into DENSE cups. My dinner plate was FULL, and it was delicious with tomato sauce/ground beef. I just cook it in the microwave, it's much easier. Cut it in half, scrape the seeds, add 1/2 cup of water to one half, put the other half back on, and nuke until soft when you give it a squeeze, about 10 minutes. It's fast, fills me up, and makes a good vehicle for sauce. It's also great on its own with a bit of butter and salt. I'm not sure what to compare the texture to.. they're so cheap, you should just give it a try!
  • _Resolve_
    _Resolve_ Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    love it, I use it in veggie or chicken stir fries .. yum!
  • ladpock
    ladpock Posts: 9
    Options
    Spaghetti squash is delicious! And very healthy :)

To me it tastes pretty much the same as spaghetti. The only difference is the texture, which isn't gross at all. It's a great substitute for normal spaghetti and can be used as a side or main dish. Definitely recommend!
  • JenniCali1000
    JenniCali1000 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    I love it! My fav way to eat it is mixed with low fat garlic Alfredo sauce and peas. I can eat an entire squash for dinner and feel completely satisfied and full!
  • april_mesk
    april_mesk Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Love it! I eat it all the ways everyone has mentioned. My son and I fight over who gets the last of it. So good.
  • sunshinestater
    sunshinestater Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I adore it. So versatile. I'm transitioning to vegetarian, so I've got a couple of good recipes for it. First is a Mexican style set of toppings with fake meat crumbles, and second is with dried fruit and nut toppings (sounds weird, I know, but found it in a vegetarian cookbook and it's quite tasty).
  • heykatieben
    heykatieben Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    As a pasta? Nay for me, it's too sweet for an Italian dish, for my tastes. I prefer spiralized zucchini for that.

I do like spaghetti squash in general though. But more as a side or dessert, with ginger/cinnamon/etc and enjoying its natural sweetness. The consistency IS cool.