Protein powder shopping

Options
anyone know a good place to get protein powder that won't cost me the earth but also tastes really good?

Replies

• salemnye
    salemnye Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Online?

I went to this seminar about muscles and protein and such and they gave out samples of BiPro protein powder. It's whey and unflavored. I added it to my drink mix and didn't taste a thing. :)
  • Dewdropps
    Dewdropps Posts: 111
    Options
    I use EAS chocolate flavored 20g Protein.

No matter which one you go with... don't listen to the label that says you should use water... ACK!

Ice cold milk with all of them and they'll taste fairly decent. <3
  • booboo68
    booboo68 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I use the GNC Total Lean 25 and love it. (I have texture issues with some of the other brands). Anyway, it has 25 grams of protein and I blend it with fruits or flavorings and ice in a blender or with water in a shaker cup if I'm at work or in a hurry. I never have used milk in these.
  • sblake204
    sblake204 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    U can go to www.bodybuilding.com and order, if there's no rush. If so, try Vitamin Shoppe or GNC. gNC will price match, and beat em by a buck, if you're a Gold card member
  • affacat
    affacat Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Just tried Omega Nutrition Pumpkin Seed Protein Powder for the first time. It's not that it tastes good, but that it didn't seem to have any noticeable taste in my shake which means i could flavor it exactly how i wanted. Very happy with it.

I like the taste of most protein powders, actually... though some need a blender to get the right consistency. The only one I've ever disliked was a hemp one, but i really like rice and pea proteins powders, and now this pumpkin one.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options

No matter which one you go with... don't listen to the label that says you should use water... ACK!

I have been using a vegan powder, partly because it is soy free and partly because it is chai latte flavored. I mix it with milk :devil:
  • FrankieTrailBlazer
    FrankieTrailBlazer Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I recommend to eat REAL food.

"""""Perhaps the biggest myth and biggest surprise is that protein supplements are NOT proven to build muscle. """

PROTEIN POWDER MYTH
    Among the thousands of dietary supplements that are for sale, protein shakes and powders are among the most popular. Whether your goal is to gain muscle, lose fat or get stronger for your sport, protein is an essential component to your diet. Proponents of these supplements claim that protein shakes and powders promote lean muscle gain and can prevent muscle loss when dieting. Before you purchase any protein supplements, you should understand how to use these supplements and consult your healthcare provider to see if you really need them.

Protein Shakes and Fat Gain
    One of the biggest misconceptions is that dietary protein, whether in solid food or liquid shake form, cannot turn to fat. Protein, just like dietary fat and carbohydrates, can be stored on your body as fat if you eat too much of it. As Vanderbilt University explains, dietary protein is seldom used for energy, so if your body does not use it for muscle growth or repair, there is a good chance that it will be stored as fat. Also like dietary fat and carbohydrates, any calories that come from excess dietary protein will be stored as fat.

Protein and Muscle
    Another misconception is that "the more protein you eat, the more muscle you will gain." This is not true. After you have reached your dietary protein requirements, any further protein consumption will be stored as fat or encourage several other undesirable side effects. Excess protein can cause kidney stress. When you eat or drink excessive amounts of protein, your kidneys must work harder to process the protein. Excess protein intake can lead to dehydration as well since your body and kidneys require more water to process the protein. Over time, eating too much protein could predispose you to osteoporosis because excess protein causes calcium to excreted through the urine. A calcium deficiency can cause weak bones and promote osteoporosis.

Working Out and Protein Supplements
    Despite the enormous popularity of popularity supplements, chances are, you probably do not need a protein supplement. Your protein requirements can be easily reached with solid food alone. Northwestern University confirms this and states that a balanced diet is the key to building muscle and thus encourages you to skip the protein shakes. Remember, protein supplements just like any other dietary supplement are meant to be used to replace nutrients that your solid food diet lacks. It is highly unlikely that you have a protein deficiency. Contact your doctor or a registered dietitian if you need help determining your protein requirement.

Protein Supplements and Muscle Building
    Perhaps the biggest myth and biggest surprise is that protein supplements are not proven to build muscle. According to the University of Missouri, despite the vast claims that nutrition companies may make, protein supplements are not clinically proven to enhance muscle development, strength or endurance. It is proven that excessive amounts of protein can hinder athletic performance and sabotage your fat loss goals, however.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/407764-protein-powder-myth/#ixzz2V0oSkScw
  • aquinoz
    aquinoz Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    If you're going for taste, I'd go with Syntha six by BSN.
    Bodybuilding.com or Gnc have decent prices
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    www.tigerfitness.com

Cellucor brand.
  • 55in13
    55in13 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Whey with vanilla (brand matters little for taste) seems like the best mix to my taste buds.
  • cazzy147
    cazzy147 Posts: 47
    Options

I do eat real food, but i dont get enough protein in my diet because i dont like most foods that have it in =/
    Thats why i have a protein shake and i find thats its helped me a lot, i dont go overboard with it, just what i need in my diet.
    Thank you everyone for your help! =]
  • GettinIT6
    GettinIT6 Posts: 44
    Options
    I use nutrilite chocolate and also vanilla and I love them!!
  • Lmpantaleao
    Lmpantaleao Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I use Optimal Protein Powder mix by Nature's Bounty (specific formula for wormen). I've used the vanilla and chocolate. At CVS they are usually on sale for Buy 1 get 1 Free. So two containers for $17 plus if you have a coupon, extra saving. I like the chocolate the best. Mix it with almond butter, some fruit (banana/blueberry) and almond milk, and it tastes like a PB cup.
  • 55in13
    Options

Some good info on misconceptions about protein powder. I use (abuse? matter of opinion) the shakes as a light meal replacement sometimes. This is an entirely subjective opinion, but I think protein shakes come closer to making you feel like you had the meal you just skipped more than anything other than actually eating that meal. The whey protein I am currently using dissolves really easily so a shaker or even stirring is all that is required. That makes it easy to have several "servings" in my desk drawer so if I forgot to bring in a good lunch I have something as an alternative to going to Kentucky Fried Taco with my coworkers. I have a jar of powder, a shaker and cleaning supplies (so I don't have to take the shaker home where it may be forgotten like the lunch).

Anyway, I completely agree that protein powders are often expected to magically make muscles. They won't. But if you, like me, are making a lot of light substitutions that are often lacking in protein, it helps supplement that and I find it more filling than some other alternatives.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
  • Miss_Hiker_Pants
    Miss_Hiker_Pants Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I use Trader Joe's 100% Whey protein, chocolate. I mix it with almond milk. I think I paid $11.
  • Runhard13
    Runhard13 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    some natural and health food stores sell sample packets from different vendors...eas...jay robb etc...and if you dont notice any just ask a sales associate..sometimes they will give you one for free...really is trial and error to find one you like
  • 55in13
    Options
    I use Trader Joe's 100% Whey protein, chocolate. I mix it with almond milk. I think I paid $11.

I may try them next. I paid about $16 at that giant discount store everyone loves to hate but still shops at. I got burned out on chocolate after getting some MET-RX in bulk. BTW, MET-RX is good, but really thick and is usually pricey. This time I got whey vanilla as I can mix it more things like fruity smoothies, even fake ones. This will probably make a few people shudder, but the single serve sugarless drink mixes (Crystal Light and others) made to add to a water bottle work well with protein powder, water, ice and optionally a banana and/or yogurt to make a decent low calorie smoothie with a fruity taste.
  • gigglybeth
    gigglybeth Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I use BioChem vanilla whey protein. I just mix it with either some ice and water or a little frozen fruit and water and blend it in the blender so it's like a shake.
  • BrittanyGQ
    BrittanyGQ Posts: 92 Member
    Options

Anyway, I completely agree that protein powders are often expected to magically make muscles. They won't. But if you, like me, are making a lot of light substitutions that are often lacking in protein, it helps supplement that and I find it more filling than some other alternatives.

Agreed! I use protein because I like my yummy shakes, and there is NO way I can get all my protein requirements in without using some supplements. I've tried, but with my busy schedule, I can't cook or buy the tons of meat I need. I really like Optimum Nutrition, both double chocolate and french vanilla creme. Not too overpowering, light and fluffy, mixes well, and decently priced ($25-30 for 2lb tub). I used Wal-Mart's Body Fortress brand before, and after trying ON, it just seems like absolute crap. :laugh: