Snack help

Options
Hi, I'm Angela. Although I'm not new to My Fitness Pal, I am new to the message boards. I have just completed 2 weeks of my weight loss journey, yet once again. Sigh. I've been logging my food daily but am having a hard time staying uder my alotted sugar amount. I live in the Arctic where fresh fruits and veggies are not also assessible. Can someone give me some healthy snack ideas? I thought I was choosing the right snacks (ie. Greek yogurt, oranges, carrots, etc) until I logges them and seen the amount of sugar! Help!

Replies

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    If you don't have insulin resistance or diabetes or another condition that requires you limit all sugar, then you are likely fine. I think MFP has the medical recommendation for added sugar as their recommendation for all sugar.

But nuts, cheese, jerky, vegetable sticks, hummus, peanut butter, edamame, boiled or deviled eggs are some lower sugar snacks you could try.
  • lavaughan69
    lavaughan69 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I gave up worrying about the breakdown of salt, sugar and focus just on calories. It just gets too overwhelming to do everything right! I eat Greek yogurt everyday and carrots. I also by the bags of sugar snap peas, love them! My night time go to snack is popcorn and sometimes I go for a 1/2 cup of frozen yogurt...or if I've left calories on the table I'll eat a whole cup! :D

Good luck and STAY WARM
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    One of the snacks I'm very fond of are: Chocolite protein bars from www.healthsmartfoods.com

They have:
    • about 100 calories
    • about 10g protein
    • about 10g fiber
    • gluten free
    • (drum roll) SUGAR FREE

I remember when my dietician told me to increase my fiber amounts. The next month I went in there, I had lost 12 pounds. She said my fiber numbers dramatically increased, and my sugar numbers plummeted.

I like the triple chocolate fudge and cookies and cream. My husband likes the cashew caramel, cookies and cream, and the peanut butter bars.

There are coupon codes on www.retailmenot.com too.
  • xosunny520
    xosunny520 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt and fruits are good.

Some of my other favorite snacks are low fat cheese sticks, popcorn (you can buy 100 cal mini bags!), carrots & hummus, almonds, bananas w/ peanut butter, Lara bars... there are endless possibilities!

If you want to know if a snack at your grocery store is healthy, just look it up on Fooducate! It's one of my favorite sites.
  • capedorsetgirl
    capedorsetgirl Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your comments and suggestions!

Cebreisch, I was supper excited to try the protein bars you suggested! I was at the final stage of confirming my order and was bummed when they said they was no shipping method to Nunavut.
  • sodakat
    sodakat Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your comments and suggestions!

Cebreisch, I was supper excited to try the protein bars you suggested! I was at the final stage of confirming my order and was bummed when they said they was no shipping method to Nunavut.

I wonder if you could get someone to buy them for you and re-send them. Cost, I realize, but it might be worth it to have them now and then. Do you know anyone in lower 48 who could do that?

55835802.png

• 89Madeline
    89Madeline Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I know about the sugar with fruits, it makes you think you're doing something wrong. I always ignore that. I mean, an apple is just a right choice. It's healthy and full of natural sugars. Perhaps make the distinction for yourself between natural and refined sugars?

Snacks:
    carrots and hummus, spelt crackers, cherry tomatoes, boiled egg, fruit/nut bars that don't have any additional ingredients (Nakd bars), protein bars (Quest bars), cucumber, raspberries (full of fiber too!), smoked chicken breast, etc...
  • capedorsetgirl
    capedorsetgirl Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    just found a place that has the bars that Cebreisch suggested: Lo Carb Canada and they will ship to Nunavut!!! Supper excited to try them! I have a real sweat thooth so I hope these will help!