Gaining weight, help?

Options
My husband needs to gain weight, fat, fast. He's stuck at 118lbs for months now. Any tips, suggestions, supplements, anything? He eats and eats but doesn't gain.

Replies

• GettingItRight97
    Options
    i would start off with getting him a mass gainer! Arnold mass is one of the best around. i would also suggest taking some creatine and just keep eating! eat more calorie dense food like nuts and peanut butter. cook with oil and not bake stuff.
  • coffeeNcreamBaby
    coffeeNcreamBaby Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    He can always supplement his meals with Ensure shakes, or have them for a snack once or twice a day - they typically can help people who need to gain weight
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Make everything more calorie dense. Cook with butter (lots of it). Lots of fatty meats. Good combo would be homemade cottage pie using full-fat mince, topped with big glob of mash made with butter and cream. My mum grates copious amounts of cheddar over the meat before putting on the mash - delicious!

Look in English Farmhouse-style cooking - meat and root potato stews with dumplings served with cream and butter mash - Steamed Steak and Kidney Pudding - Steak and ale all-butter pastry pies. Full english breakfast to start the day. The list is endless.

Drink whole milk. Make homemade shakes: whole milk, pb, whey, bananas, etc. Whatever tastes good and has a f-tonne of cals.

Consider having pudding for each meal.

Send him around my Mum's house - for a few months. :)
  • gavyn02
    gavyn02 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    What kind of weight, fat gain isn't always the best way to go. Is he tracking calories and macro nutrient?

• 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Do you do the cooking? If so, add loads of fat - butter, oils etc. encourage snacking. But at the end of the day, it's really up to him, he's your husband not your child.

A simple calorie surplus should have him gaining weight. If not, it's time to visit the doctors. Thyroid? Worms?
  • bestmeicanbe1
    bestmeicanbe1 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice everyone.
    He has been to the doctor and they did 4 different tests so far and can't find anything wrong with him. He goes for a cat scan next month.
    My husband is 5'8 so he's under weight. His doctor said at this point he just needs to gain weight and fast but all he really said was eat lot of calories and he said try high calories drinks too like the highest calorie shake at mcdonalds (only fast food place in town) but he still hasn't gained anything.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice everyone.
    He has been to the doctor and they did 4 different tests so far and can't find anything wrong with him. He goes for a cat scan next month.
    My husband is 5'8 so he's under weight. His doctor said at this point he just needs to gain weight and fast but all he really said was eat lot of calories and he said try high calories drinks too like the highest calorie shake at mcdonalds (only fast food place in town) but he still hasn't gained anything.

Is he tracking his intake?

That's the place to start. It's all too easy to assume that you're are eating a tonne based off how you feel, rather than the numbers.

A week or two tracking accurately will show what he is losing/maintaining on and then systematically adding calories by upping the calorie density of existing meals (or incorporating high calorie snacks between meals) should serve to get you up to 500 cals above maintenance a day. This will lead to a (more or less) 1lb gain a week. Keep an eye on that, since we tend to up-regulate our activity level sub-consciously at a higher calorie intake, so you may need to add to the daily calories as the weeks go by to sustain that 1lb/week gain.

If he wants to look good at a higher weight, then incorporating some progressive resistance work (bodyweight routine, dumbbell routine, barbell, even machine work) would be a good idea.

First things first, get systematic about it. Start tracking accurately, get good data. Report back and we'll be able to help more.