WHY IS MY DIET NOT WORKING??????

Options

Replies

• Laureani
    Laureani Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Kipke9 wrote: »
    I viewed a couple of days in your diary... you need to eat at least 3 times a day. If not, your body will go into a starving mode. This means it will burn less fat due to it want to conserve it for later, in case the starvation will worsen. Everything you'll eat, your body wants to conserve that calorie income to maintain those reserves.

If you eat 3 times a day, your body will adapt to it. It has to digest food 3 times a day, which also cost energy (=burning fat). This '3 times a day meal thing' gives your body a continue energy flow, so it won't go in that starvation mode. Then it is effective to eat your 1400 goal of the day. If you do this, you'll lose more weight! Never go under the 1000 kcal!!!

Further, you need to eat more healthy. Leave the sweets, donuts, pizza and other unhealthy products. Try to cook your own meals with fresh vegetables. Weigh everything your eat and log it all separate to your food diary. Do not forget the oil you'll bake in or the other small unnoticeable things you'll add. Everything comes with calories.

Also, try not to drink soda. Those drinks have a lot of sugar. I, for example, only drink water and tea ( I really like tea). Those do not have any calories. Drink +/- 2 L a day to hydrate your body.

I hope my advice will help you in your battle. Good luck with it and I realy hope you'll reach your goal

so much wrong in this post…

starvation mode is a myth..

please disregard this advice….

Really??? I've always been told if I don't eat enough my body will go into starvation mode and hold on to my fat.... why is there so many different perspectives out there?????
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    OP - I read through some of this …but here is my advice..

1. Log everything that you eat and try to be as accurate as possible
    2. get a food scale and weigh and log all your solid and liquids.
    3. keep working out and lifting.
    4. set your macros to 35% protein; 35% carbs; 30% fats < you can do this in custom settings.
    5. It also appears that you may be overestimating calorie burns. most calorie burn estimates are not accurate, so if you are going eat burned calories back only eat 25 to 50% of them back.
    6. Eat the foods that you like, just less of them…
    7. repeat until you get desired results….
  • Laureani
    Options
    OP - I read through some of this …but here is my advice..

1. Log everything that you eat and try to be as accurate as possible
    2. get a food scale and weigh and log all your solid and liquids.
    3. keep working out and lifting.
    4. set your macros to 35% protein; 35% carbs; 30% fats < you can do this in custom settings.
    5. It also appears that you may be overestimating calorie burns. most calorie burn estimates are not accurate, so if you are going eat burned calories back only eat 25 to 50% of them back.
    6. Eat the foods that you like, just less of them…
    7. repeat until you get desired results….

Now that's advice I can understand step by step lol... I'll try this. And I appreciate everybody giving my question the time of day.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Laureani wrote: »
    I viewed a couple of days in your diary... you need to eat at least 3 times a day. If not, your body will go into a starving mode. This means it will burn less fat due to it want to conserve it for later, in case the starvation will worsen. Everything you'll eat, your body wants to conserve that calorie income to maintain those reserves.

If you eat 3 times a day, your body will adapt to it. It has to digest food 3 times a day, which also cost energy (=burning fat). This '3 times a day meal thing' gives your body a continue energy flow, so it won't go in that starvation mode. Then it is effective to eat your 1400 goal of the day. If you do this, you'll lose more weight! Never go under the 1000 kcal!!!

Further, you need to eat more healthy. Leave the sweets, donuts, pizza and other unhealthy products. Try to cook your own meals with fresh vegetables. Weigh everything your eat and log it all separate to your food diary. Do not forget the oil you'll bake in or the other small unnoticeable things you'll add. Everything comes with calories.

Also, try not to drink soda. Those drinks have a lot of sugar. I, for example, only drink water and tea ( I really like tea). Those do not have any calories. Drink +/- 2 L a day to hydrate your body.

I hope my advice will help you in your battle. Good luck with it and I realy hope you'll reach your goal

Really??? I've always been told if I don't eat enough my body will go into starvation mode and hold on to my fat.... why is there so many different perspectives out there?????

Ask yourself this.... Were there any people in concentration camps who were "holding onto their fat"? Or... in poor truly starving African countries are they "overweight"?

The answer should be pretty obvious. ;)

• hbaker712
    Options

There aren't different perspectives, there are overblown myths perpetuated by people who don't know better while they pose as people who do know.

Research can help with dieting. You can find dietetic journal articles online or at your school (most likely). If someone suggests something that sounds odd, just do some fact checking.

Eat a real caloric deficit and you will lose weight. End of story (outside of medical issues).
  • Laureani
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »

Ask yourself this.... Were there any people in concentration camps who were "holding onto their fat"? Or... in poor truly starving African countries are they "overweight"?

cheeky
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »

cheeky

yet sadly true. :(

• ndj1979
    Options

because losing weight industry is 75% BS mixed in with 25% fact..

think of it this way ..if Starvation Mode were true then why aren't all of those people in concentration camps fat…?????

I believe in Starvation mode in the sense that your body will turn on itself for energy after pro-longed period of eating NOTHING .but said period would take at least two weeks of eating nothing to even start. I also believe in adaptive thermogenesis from not eating enough…

but holding on to fat because you do not eat enough …come on now…that is just silly...
  • Laureani
    Options

because losing weight industry is 75% BS mixed in with 25% fact..

think of it this way ..if Starvation Mode were true then why aren't all of those people in concentration camps fat…?????

I believe in Starvation mode in the sense that your body will turn on itself for energy after pro-longed period of eating NOTHING .but said period would take at least two weeks of eating nothing to even start. I also believe in adaptive thermogenesis from not eating enough…

but holding on to fat because you do not eat enough …come on now…that is just silly...

True enough
  • Laureani
    Options
    I appreciate everyone's answers and I'm going to do better!!!
  • ndj1979
    Options
    ^ good luck to you …

• woodwisejoe
    woodwisejoe Posts: 6
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I believe that you might have an imbalance in your carb/protein/fat ratios. At the instructions from my dietician I started adjusting each meal so that I had 50% carbs, 25% protein and 25% fat (or as close as I could get) with each meal. The added fat helped prevent hunger. I keep my carbs less than 45 grams per meal and I try to avoid most simple sugars. I have lost almost 20 lbs on a 120 lbs journey, so I'm kind of new at this. But this is the first time I have eaten so little and been so satisfied with each meal. My glucose has dropped 100 points and the weight is coming of at a fairly good rate. I hope this helps. I use the pie chart on the nutrition tab (available only on the mobile app) to help me visualize each meal's macronutrient ratios.
  • obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options

What happens, long before "starvation mode," is that your body begins expending less energy on non-essential processes like hair growth, nail growth, etc. You will continue to lose weight, but you'll be breaking nails and losing hair long before you hold onto your fat.
  • obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    I believe that you might have an imbalance in your carb/protein/fat ratios. At the instructions from my dietician I started adjusting each meal so that I had 50% carbs, 25% protein and 25% fat (or as close as I could get) with each meal. The added fat helped prevent hunger. I keep my carbs less than 45 grams per meal and I try to avoid most simple sugars. I have lost almost 20 lbs on a 120 lbs journey, so I'm kind of new at this. But this is the first time I have eaten so little and been so satisfied with each meal. My glucose has dropped 100 points and the weight is coming of at a fairly good rate. I hope this helps. I use the pie chart on the nutrition tab (available only on the mobile app) to help me visualize each meal's macronutrient ratios.

This is actually irrelevant for weight loss. Calories in, calories out rules all. She lifts, so 25% protein is nowhere near enough to fuel her muscles. I'm glad this is working for you and congrats on your loss, but she should not take your advice.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    Tobore wrote: »
    Tobore wrote: »
    keithw2013 wrote: »
    How did you come up with having a blood sugar of 55?

What are you eating and when? Is the only exercise Cardio via treadmill?

I would like to help you.

I checked my blood sugar with a prick.. it said 55...
    yeah 55 is low. it should be above 70 but not over 150.

My blood sugar is always a little under 70... =/ idk why I'm not diabetic tho
    under 70 is considered hypoglycemic. which can be harmful to your health.you need to monitor daily and eat the proper foods to keep it a certain level. sometimes eating every 3-4 hrs can help

Do you want to explain how low blood sugar is unhealthy in an otherwise healthy adult? I typically have low blood sugar, and I went to an endocrinologist. They treated me as a diabetic patient, and I spiraled out of control (sugar spikes trying to "feed the lows" and then dropping super low), although the doctor could find no health issues.

Went to another doctor, and they said that lows are perfectly fine in non-diabetics. It can be good. They took me off all treatments, I eat more carbs at night, and I've had no other issues.
    because low blood sugar can cause seizures,you can pass out, or even go into a coma,if your body doesnt make enough insulin its hard on your organs and its needed to fuel the body,its what helps break down the carbs into glucose.if you dont make enough glucose your body cannot function properly,it can cause damage to your nervous system as well.

as for your endocrinologist treating you like a diabetic that is where they were wrong. they should have seen if it was any meds you had taken,checked for a tumor on your pancreas,hormone deficiencies and excessive exercise,etc. hypoglycemia(low blood sugar) can be treated by eating several small meals a day to keep sugar where it should be. avoiding alcohol,junk food and caffeine is also a plus.carrying glucose tablets with you when its low can help too if you cant get to food right away. if that doesnt work then a dr needs to be seen.It nothing to fool with. I would have went to more than one dr to get more than one opinion.any dr that tells you its ok for it to be below 70 is an idiot. you are not having issues now because you changed your diet. which can help keep it in check
  • fitrainsms
    fitrainsms Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    1. get a qualified trainer to calculate your macros.
    2. get food scale and measuring cups
    3. avoid junk food until you are able to maintain a healthy weight, then these foods can be reintroduced as long as you consume them sparadically (once a week)
    4. look up healthier options of junk food- make your own pizzas, pancakes, brownies, cupcakes-with real food - get a good protein powder- helps keep my sweet tooth at bay.
    5. keep it simple- real whole food- if you cant tell where it comes from, if there are ingredients listed that you dont know- chances are you shouldnt be eating it.
    6. switch your cardio and weightlifting- resistance train 3-5 times a week, cardio twice a week.
    7. be accountable, log everything honestly (Food and exercise)
    8. dont be a victim to the scale- take measurments, body fat % and progress pics weekly or bi weekly. Have a check in day (if you dont have a coach to check in with, ask a friend/family member who you trust to be your check in coach- where they will ask you for your progress pics and measurements every week or 2 weeks.
    9. be realistic- long lasting change takes time- trust the process, stay focused, keep grinding
  • Laureani
    Options
    fitrainsms wrote: »
    3. avoid junk food until you are able to maintain a healthy weight, then these foods can be reintroduced as long as you consume them sparadically (once a week)
    4. look up healthier options of junk food- make your own pizzas, pancakes, brownies, cupcakes-with real food - get a good protein powder- helps keep my sweet tooth at bay.
    5. keep it simple- real whole food- if you cant tell where it comes from, if there are ingredients listed that you dont know- chances are you shouldnt be eating it.
    6. switch your cardio and weightlifting- resistance train 3-5 times a week, cardio twice a week.
    8. dont be a victim to the scale- take measurments, body fat % and progress pics weekly or bi weekly. Have a check in day (if you dont have a coach to check in with, ask a friend/family member who you trust to be your check in coach- where they will ask you for your progress pics and measurements every week or 2 weeks.
    9. be realistic- long lasting change takes time- trust the process, stay focused, keep grinding

Why should I switch my workout plan to resistance training 3-5 times a week??? Is that supposed to boost my fat loss. shouldn't I do more cardio so my abs can actually be more defined??? I'm currently doing only cardio right now.
  • ndj1979
    Options

Why should I switch my workout plan to resistance training 3-5 times a week??? Is that supposed to boost my fat loss. shouldn't I do more cardio so my abs can actually be more defined??? I'm currently doing only cardio right now.

if you are only doing cardio then adding strength training will help you retain muscle …

stronglifts or 5x5 are great programs…

but ignore four …

you can eat the things you like - ice cream,, cookies, etc. - just make sure that you hit your calorie/micro/macro count for the day ...
  • Laureani
    Options

Okay but my carbs cant be too much... I'm sensitive to carbs, my protein will have to outweigh the carbs.
  • Laureani
    Options

if you are only doing cardio then adding strength training will help you retain muscle …

stronglifts or 5x5 are great programs…

but ignore four …

you can eat the things you like - ice cream,, cookies, etc. - just make sure that you hit your calorie/micro/macro count for the day ...

Okay, that sounds good but don't you think 35% carbs would be too much ( I'm sensitive to carbs) or would it be okay considering I'm working out cardio/weights everyday?????