Which calorie count do I go by?

So I've been logging on to myfitnesspal for 11 days now.
I started off entering my info
Male
6'1"
267 lbs
low activity
and to lose 2lbs a week it told me to aim for just over 2000 calories, I adjust it to 2000 calories to keep it an easy number to remember.
I just went to livestrong and to see what they had to say and they said I should be at 1817 calories per day for 2 lbs a week.
I redid myfitnesspal at my new weight (261 lbs) and it says now I should be at 1970 calories. livestrong says 1772 for my new weight. Plus many other sites all say different calories, ranging from 1747 to 2147
Which one should I believe? livestrong is giving me a lower calorie goal at a higher weight than myfitnesspal is giving at a lower weight.

Replies

• ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    It's a calculator, not a fortune teller. Pick a number, stick to it, monitor your results, and adjust up or down if your weight loss is faster/slower than expected.
  • Chrisparadise579
    Chrisparadise579 Posts: 411 Member
    Great job on losing weight already! do not lower your calories 2000 is perfect. You lost 6 lbs in 11 days which is huge. It is working so dont change anything, besides the more you can eat while losing weight the better. Keep going strong and tracking and youll do amazingly. you got this
  • leooftheyear
    leooftheyear Posts: 429 Member
    Two options:

Use MFP as it's intended eat the calories they give you plus at least 50% exercise calories

OR

Calculate your TDEE (http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/) and eat that number and don't count exercise calories as they're already calculated into the number

ALSO: DO NOT NET BELOW 2000, I am a 25yo F weighing 200lbs and eat between 2200-2400 calories/day
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    ana3067 wrote: »
    It's a calculator, not a fortune teller. Pick a number, stick to it, monitor your results, and adjust up or down if your weight loss is faster/slower than expected.

Exactly this. Everyone is different and those numbers are based on averages. Pick one, give it a try for a few weeks and see what results. Adjust your goal if the results aren't what you want. Rinse and repeat.