Has anyone ever gotten Rhabdomyolysis ???

Options
caribbeanvacationlover
caribbeanvacationlover Posts: 20 Member
edited January 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
I was curious if any one else has ever had Rhabdo? I got this almost a year ago, by over doing in the gym. I was badly out of shape and my P.T. pushed too far. I want to start doing more than just cardio, however, I'm anxious and don't know how to ease back into it. Suggestions and or comments welcome.

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Only the people that overpay for Crossfit get rhabdo. Seriously, just don't do too much and you'll be fine. It's pretty hard to push thru to the point where you become I'll so just don't.
  • caribbeanvacationlover
    Options
    Ha thanks for the input. I hadn't thought that I was over doing when I initially got it. That's why I am so nervous now. I like to push myself, but apparently don't know when to stop. I wasn't in Crossfit, just paying a P.T. at the gym. Suppose I'll just start slow and maybe with one/two set of reps??
  • DavPul
    Options
    follow an established resistance training program and you'll be fine. try stronglifts or new rules of lifting or something like those
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    ^^ That. Good programs have a progression to follow that avoids overtraining.

Avoid trainers until you're strong.. unless they're over 40, hehe.

Stay hydrated, don't workout in a fasted state, don't workout on a very low carb diet.
  • sugargrammy45
    sugargrammy45 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    There are more ways than over-exercising to get Rhabdo. I was diagnosed as being as close to Rhabdo as possible but didn't quite have it. Mine was caused by the medication I was on to lower cholesterol. Thank heaven my daughter was a nurse and she took me to the doctor just in time. Changed/lowered medication dosage and I seem to be okay. Are you on any medication to lower cholesterol or other medications that are hard on the liver? You might want to check with your doctor. Wishing you well . . .
  • caribbeanvacationlover
    Options
    Thanks for the responses!! No sugargrammy45, not on any cholesterol lowering medications. Not on any medications actually. I think the trainer just had me do too many reps of weight lifting that my body was not accustomed to. I got it in my left arm. It was swollen bigger than my husbands guns lol. I also couldn't straighten it/move it for days. Think I'll start with resistance bands and do what you all have recommended. I've been looking into the 5x5. I'll just take it slow! No weights until in better shape....
  • DavPul
    Options
    Using weights is fine. That's the fastest way to get in better shape