hCG

Options
13»

Replies

• Holton
    Holton Posts: 1,018
    Options
    This just seems like an unhealthy approach to weight loss; why would you inject your body with a hormone instead of choosing to eat better and exercise? I just tend to think about what you are going to be able to keep up for life, assuming you want to keep the weight off. I wish you luck, but hope you can incorporate eating better, healthier foods in your life plan.

And I have researched this topic:
    "Regardless, once a person stops the hCG diet, he or she will have to adopt a normal and healthy lifestyle, or the weight's just coming back. Proponents of the hCG diet maintain that the purpose of the diet is to break food addictions and abnormal eating behaviors, and that the month or so of treatment allows a person to do so. In this sense, the diet hopes to achieve short-term weight loss with long-term behavioral modification.

Of course, eating well-proportioned meals is much easier when you're injecting stimulants and hunger-suppressing hormones. If you gain weight again, the doctor or clinic -- upon the follow-up visit -- may recommend you start the treatment over again. Therefore, you may just scrap real attempts to change eating habits and sign on to long-term use of chemicals without fixing the real problem: your diet and exercise habits.

A month-long course of hCG injections and crash dieting will likely help you lose weight, but a key question is: Is this the best way to permanently modify poor eating habits?

In addition to the reliability of a new diet fad popping up to replace the one before it, there's another constant when it comes to dieting -- no matter what you do, maintaining a healthy weight depends on eating right and exercising."
  • rob1976
    rob1976 Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options
    This just seems like an unhealthy approach to weight loss; why would you inject your body with a hormone instead of choosing to eat better and exercise? I just tend to think about what you are going to be able to keep up for life, assuming you want to keep the weight off. I wish you luck, but hope you can incorporate eating better, healthier foods in your life plan.

And I have researched this topic:
    "Regardless, once a person stops the hCG diet, he or she will have to adopt a normal and healthy lifestyle, or the weight's just coming back. Proponents of the hCG diet maintain that the purpose of the diet is to break food addictions and abnormal eating behaviors, and that the month or so of treatment allows a person to do so. In this sense, the diet hopes to achieve short-term weight loss with long-term behavioral modification.

Of course, eating well-proportioned meals is much easier when you're injecting stimulants and hunger-suppressing hormones. If you gain weight again, the doctor or clinic -- upon the follow-up visit -- may recommend you start the treatment over again. Therefore, you may just scrap real attempts to change eating habits and sign on to long-term use of chemicals without fixing the real problem: your diet and exercise habits.

A month-long course of hCG injections and crash dieting will likely help you lose weight, but a key question is: Is this the best way to permanently modify poor eating habits?

In addition to the reliability of a new diet fad popping up to replace the one before it, there's another constant when it comes to dieting -- no matter what you do, maintaining a healthy weight depends on eating right and exercising."
    Well, I can't speak for others on this topic, but I can speak for myself. I have found that everyone's standard answer of "eat less move more" just doesn't work for me. I enjoy the horrible foods the most...and I just can't say no to some of them. I can eat an ENTIRE box of Kraft Mac & Cheese myself...and a whole frozen pizza to boot. My wife is the same way. Her situation is actually a little more dire than mine. She needs to exercise...she gets that. She can only exercise SO MUCH because her weight is affecting her knees and back. She can only walk so far until she's stiff as a board and has to quit for a few days to recover...and the cycle repeats. We've researched this program for OVER a year now. We've read and polled and asked and inquired. We've found out what works and what doesn't. This program is anything but a "fad diet"...it was established 60 years ago. If she can use a program that will allow her to drop massive pounds without beating herself up in the gym until she is TRULY healthy enough to do it, then I'm behind her 100%...in fact, I'm doing it with her so that she has someone to lean on and she doesn't have to watch me eating junk food while she's on a restricted diet. That would just make me an a__hole. People talk incessantly on these HCG forums about eating properly and exercising - doing it the "right way." You all have to realize that not everyone is healthy enough to work out 3 times a week or more...and some people's schedule doesn't allow for it. I know that sounds like an excuse, but it doesn't make it invalid. If you'd pop open Dr. Simeons ebook "Pounds & Inches", you'd realize that this whole program is a LIFELONG dietary change. Once you are off the 500-calorie VLCD, the book gives you guidelines as to what you should eat and you are free to exercise as much as you wish. Some people even find they have enough energy to exercise while their still on the VLCD. You've asked the question if this is the best way to change unhealthy eating habits. Many have tried and failed to do this other manners. If this is what it takes for someone to change permanently and go on living their lives in a healthy manner and live a long healthy life, I don't care if it's Drano their sticking in their butt...as long as they see the result they desire, it's fine by me.
  • lilmissy2
    lilmissy2 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    You don't need to work out 3 times a day... or at all really to lose weight 'the healthy way'. A person that is obese (unless they have a severe metabolic problem) burns more calories than someone who is a healthy weight. So even if you ate as many calories as you at a healthy weight should be eating you would still lose weight with no exercise. Sure it would be slow but it would still happen.

Now I can't help but defend some people on here that I only ever usually hear positive things from who have had great success on their weight loss journeys.

It was mentioned earlier that you aren't only getting 500cal/day but rather thousands from your fat stores... well, yes but this would happen if you ate nothing at all as well... does that make that healthier? Also, your body doesn't store fat with the nutrients that came in the food you ate to put it there. I don't think people have a problem with the amount of calories you are having perse but rather with the amount of nutrition you are having by eating so few calories.

Also... 'if slow and steady wins the race, why is America the fattest nation on earth?'... seriously? You think they got that way by gradually working toward a healthy lifestyle? You truly think that people worked hard to find what was sustainable for them and ate this way for the rest of their life and got fat? I personally think it's more that people started a strict diet, failed and went back to eating whatever rubbish they want when they want or perhaps they just never started in the first place. I don't really understand how that would disprove the 'slow and steady wins the race' argument.

For the record, as I have said before I do think VLCDs can be a beneficial weight loss program in some situations as a last resort. I also think that HCG is very much a fad and that you would get the same results on a VLCD without the actual HCG.
  • fivefatcats
    fivefatcats Posts: 368
    Options
    At 230 I don't think I could have run, not with the arthritis in my knees - and I had ACL reconstruction on my left knee 18 years ago. Now - under 190 - I really enjoy running. I have completed two 5ks, a mini-triathlon and a 10K (1hr 3 minutes ?secs) this summer with another 5K and a half marathon to go.

Yes, I do feel that this is the best way to permanently modify my eating habits - it was exactly the eating discipline that I lacked. You may not understand it, but I have such a feeling of control with this eating plan, when previously I always felt out of control.

I have the energy to continue running 3 days a week if I want, but have chosen not to during this phase, besides with 4 kids under 5 and summer here, we are finding lots to do and stay active.

I really feel that the real key is what you learn on your journey, regardless of how you get there.