how many calories...?

Options
I am. 5'9, female, how do I know exactly how many calories I burn a day just by default, I mean breathing, digestion, etc. Once I know that, how. Many calories do I eat to lose a pound a week? I feel like counting is useless unless.you know your default burn.

Replies

• bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    If you set up MFP properly when you joined - i.e., entered your gender, age, height, weight, activity level, and desired weight loss - then MFP's software has already done the following:
    • Estimated your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) without exercise
    • Subtracted 250 calories for every half-pound of weekly weight loss
    • Given you that number as your daily calorie goal

So if you told MFP that you are lightly active and want to lose 1 pound a week, and MFP tells you to eat 1750 calories, then your TDEE without exercise is 1750 + 500 = 2250.

MFP's model excludes exercise from its goal, which is why, when you exercise, you get to eat more.

Keep in mind that what MFP produces is an estimate. That applies to the TDEE "calculator" that @kaseyr1505‌ linked to, and to other TDEE calculators. They're based on studies of a population sample; your own actual energy expenditure might be higher or lower. The only way to figure out your true energy expenditure is to log food and exercise as carefully as possible, and then check your actual weight loss over a long period against your energy intake.
  • petakenchington
    Options
    Anyone know how to get calories burned from gardening, both heavy and lightish.. Also this is done in high temps and humidity of Far North Queensland,cannot find guidelines for working this out.