Hunger after weight loss

Options
Hi everyone,
I've lost 27 pounds and for some reason it seems like the more weight I lose, the hungrier I get! I've been absolutely starving the past few weeks, even though I increased my protein and calories. I started off my diet being hardly ever hungry but my appetite started getting a bit bigger around 15 pounds and now at 27 I feel like no matter what I eat, I'm starving!! I just had 1/2 cup of quinoa with kale and curry sauce, probably around 40 minutes ago and I already feel like I could eat a cow (figuratively, I'm vegan :P) Feel free to check out my food diary if you want.

Replies

• concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Your diary is locked.
  • ohtheveganity
    ohtheveganity Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Oops sorry about that. Thought I had it public! It's open now.
  • concordancia
    Options
    According to your diary, you undereat every day. That is a very common cause of hunger.

I would also question some of your entries- you are entering in quinoa uncooked, is that really when you are measuring it?

Vegetables are an excellent way to up your fiber, which will help you feel full, and give you lots of nutrients!

Finally, you are barely meeting your protein goals, and not always, so there is still plenty of room to add more.

One more thing: what in the world is avocado pasta?
  • dancerbyday
    Options
    Try snacking on fruit in between meals. A lot of fruits are zero calorie or negative calorie foods (they take more calories to digest than you get from eating them).
  • cmeiron
    cmeiron Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options

If it's what I think it is: heaven on a plate. (Creamy avocado puree, used as a pasta sauce omnom).
  • concordancia
    Options
    Try snacking on fruit in between meals. A lot of fruits are zero calorie or negative calorie foods (they take more calories to digest than you get from eating them).

NO! Fruits have plenty o' calories. There are a few veggies with negligible calories, but ...no.
  • Alta2000
    Alta2000 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    You net under 1200 every day. What's your current height/weight/ and exercise workout schedule and type?

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

OK, on scoobie for 5'3", 139lbs I get BMR 1465 and TDEE sedentary for maintenance is 1758. Since you are in your healthy range, try to up your calories to at least 1580. Can you try swimming? That's a good exercise for you.

Add EVOO on your food, eat more fruits, eat hummus, drink smoothies. Mix chocolate whey or other vegetarian proteins, mix with a frozen banana, 2 oz orange juice, for a refreshing cold smoothie.
  • skinnydreams1997
    skinnydreams1997 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. The more weight I loose, the hungrier I seem to get.
  • Alta2000
    Options
    I have the same problem. The more weight I loose, the hungrier I seem to get.

Olivia, if you are doing 30dsshred and kickboxing, is 1200 net. or you do not eat the exercise calories? That's why you are hungry.
    If you want to open your diary to public briefly, and provide the same info requested above, people can offer suggestions. If you are hungry you will end binging.
  • ohtheveganity
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I eat usually over 1200 a day, which was my goal set by MFP (which I upped to 1300.) So the only reason my net calories is under is because of exercise... Should I eat back exercise calories? Usually if I exercise a lot I'll eat back about half of them (sometimes all).
  • ohtheveganity
    Options

If it's what I think it is: heaven on a plate. (Creamy avocado puree, used as a pasta sauce omnom).

Yes, it is heaven on a plate!! Pureed avocado with garlic, lemon juice, and basil. Mmmmm :D I love vegan food.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Not related but I love Harry Potter and The Hunger Games.
  • ohtheveganity
    Options
    Not related but I love Harry Potter and The Hunger Games.

They are indeed the best, right!? You should totally read Divergent and the Mortal Instruments :D
  • crevices
    crevices Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Hunger-suppressing foods like peanut butter, oatmeal, apples etc. in the morning or for lunch helped me. My appetite has become so small and I get full really easily off of vegetables after my weight loss, seriously feels like my stomach's 1/4th of its size.
  • AbsoluteNG
    AbsoluteNG Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    Instead of eating breakfast, try and eat only one big meal a day of 1400 calories or whatever y9u normally eat. Set point theory says that you need to maintain your weight for 3 months to let your body know that the new weight is where you want to be.
  • Alta2000
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I eat usually over 1200 a day, which was my goal set by MFP (which I upped to 1300.) So the only reason my net calories is under is because of exercise... Should I eat back exercise calories? Usually if I exercise a lot I'll eat back about half of them (sometimes all).

You have many days that your total calories are under 1200, so your net with the exercise is below that. Your BMR is 1465. If you are hungry that means that your body needs more fuel. MFP is designed so you eat back your calories. Up it to 1580 and stay there for a while to readjust your metabolism. You are in the healthy range for your height.

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/