Reality check!!! It takes work to get healthy.....

Options
Shouldn't be surprised but it takes hard work to get fit and healthy. Diet is critical but so isn't getting off the couch and moving! There are a ton of exercise programs out there - P90X, Crossfit, bodybuilding, powerlifting, weightlifting, running, HIIT, aerobics, bike, etc.

What works for you? What do you like and why?

Share your favorite workouts.....

Replies

• keithw2013
    keithw2013 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    One of my favorite workouts is a Tabata-style WOD(workout of the day).

A Tabata workout is a 4-minute workout that includes 20 seconds of very high intensity training followed by 10 seconds of rest. You repeat this cycle 8 times for a total of 4 minutes for a very short, very intense workout - for each exercise - usually for 8 exercises. That is a total of 32 minutes.

Here is an example:

1. push ups
    2. air squats
    3. jumping jacks
    4. sit ups
    5. mountain climbers
    6. jump rope (double unders)
    7. kettle bell swing
    8. burpees

Of course burpees are saved till last!

I'll post another favorite later.
  • mrdurango01
    mrdurango01 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Sounds great. ..I'm doing tabata style work-outs. ..they're awesome. .ty
  • Waggish
    Waggish Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I've been doing the whole weightlifting/strength training with a bit of cardio for nearly a year. What I like most about weightlifting is getting stronger, and not just feeling more capable, but being able to look back at workout logs and see that feeling backed up with data!

It feels really good to think back and see how I went from a general full-body exercise 3x/week, to doing upper/lower body 4x/week, to doing a leg/push/pull/shoulder split!
  • Jesslane93
    Jesslane93 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I love kickboxing workout videos.
    I use to do martial arts when I was younger, but stopped when I hit adulthood, because couldn't afford to pay for it myself. But doing Kick boxing videos give me the feel of fighting again, and is fun.
  • keithw2013
    Options
    Waggish wrote: »
    I've been doing the whole weightlifting/strength training with a bit of cardio for nearly a year. What I like most about weightlifting is getting stronger, and not just feeling more capable, but being able to look back at workout logs and see that feeling backed up with data!

It feels really good to think back and see how I went from a general full-body exercise 3x/week, to doing upper/lower body 4x/week, to doing a leg/push/pull/shoulder split!

I have been doing Crossfit for 3 years and can't begin to explain the feeling I get when I do a WOD that I know I really struggled with at the beginning. Constant improvement is great - but hard to maintain as the body adapts to your workouts.

Thanks for sharing!
  • keithw2013
    Options
    I love kickboxing workout videos.
    I use to do martial arts when I was younger, but stopped when I hit adulthood, because couldn't afford to pay for it myself. But doing Kick boxing videos give me the feel of fighting again, and is fun.

I totally forgot about Kickboxing - and I am a martial artist myself. 12 years of Filipino stickfighting, Karate, grappling, etc. My wife used to take Kickboxing classes and they looked like a great workout.
  • CharleneMarie723
    CharleneMarie723 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I'm a runner. I look at the total body workouts and fear I would fall all over myself. But I do some body weight exercises- like pushups, squats, etc but nothing that would ever work me like a hard core run. I do triathlons, and am usually in the front middle of the pack, but I can't make it thru my 20 minutes beginner's yoga DVD. No balance or core stability and strength.
  • keithw2013
    Options
    I'm a runner. I look at the total body workouts and fear I would fall all over myself. But I do some bodyweight exercises- like pushups, squats, etc but nothing that would ever work me like a hard core run. I do triathlons, and am usually in the front middle of the pack, but I can't make it thru my 20 minutes beginner's yoga DVD. No balance or core stability and strength.

I hate running......with a passion. I do it and suck. I have never had endurance for long distance running. I am so jealous. I am really getting into rowing and for some reason really like that.

Appreciate you sharing Charlene.
  • jyogit
    jyogit Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    fairly new to all this myself..i started with a bit of running on the spot till i worked up to a full 3mile jog.. wouldn't call it running.. lol then added in some dumbbell workouts 3 times a week and increased to 5miles that took up 6days a week..
    I've just started sl 5x5 followed by a 5 mile jog straight after..3 times a week on alternate days then i have 3days off which, in the warmer weather ill be adding back in some 6-8 mile cycle rides.. I've never been a fitness junky but decided i wanted to get fit at 47 and found i actually enjoy the buzz straight after the workouts .. i don't have gym membership i have done all this by reading in here and watching youtube etc etc.. its been a great learning curve and I've lost weight and gained some newly muscle gains into the bargain :)
  • dougpconnell219
    dougpconnell219 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    See, I've been fat my whole life. I avoided physical activity like the plague. That is kind of what I'm excited about... Figuring out what my sport is.

I'm kind of trying everything right now... Yoga, running, lifting, kickboxing. Definately want an outdoor component, like hiking or trail running.

Should be fun to find out!
  • softblondechick
    softblondechick Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    I like yoga, I can feel every muscle in my body, doing the stretches and poses. A few months of yoga, and my body looks toned.
  • Leyshinka
    Leyshinka Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    See, I've been fat my whole life. I avoided physical activity like the plague. That is kind of what I'm excited about... Figuring out what my sport is.

I'm kind of trying everything right now... Yoga, running, lifting, kickboxing. Definately want an outdoor component, like hiking or trail running.

Should be fun to find out!

This is me too! Trying everything out to figure out what I enjoy most and can stick with longest. The problem I have is I like almost everything so far
  • SamberryC
    SamberryC Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I like yoga, I can feel every muscle in my body, doing the stretches and poses. A few months of yoga, and my body looks toned.
    I agree Yoga is such a wonderful exercise, for your body and your soul.
    That being said, when you've only got 10 minutes free, there's nothing like squats and lunges.
  • Leyshinka
    Leyshinka Posts: 54 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    OP I agree it takes hard work to lose weight and be healthy. I find the hardest part is getting yourself to do it( be it eat healthier meals at a deficit or exercise). Once you get going I personally find it OK, even exciting at times.
  • cliffodom1
    cliffodom1 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I ran track in college so I don[t see exercise as enjoyment it is what I do for the end result. I also have good genes so health is not my issue. I just want to look good naked. Everybody looks good in clothes. That is why they make clothes. I want to look good when I look in the mirror right out of the shower. I saw a survey that said the number one body part that women like best is abs. So.....That being said, I work on abs, upper body and legs.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    I started with walking but am now pretty much a die-hard runner. I never would have guessed that before. If I am unable to run I tend to hit the gym cardio equipment.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    I run all year round, bike in the warmer weather, take a body sculpting class once a week, and work with a trainer on a weekly basis for strength training.