Is this correct?

Options
I started at 230 lbs. (male) and was allotted 2090 calories per day. When I weighed in at 209 lbs. I lost 800 calories a day which equals 1290 calories per day. It seems like a drastic drop (-39%). Is this correct?

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    No. Something is off but I do not have a suggestion.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Check your numbers and settings again that seems wrong
  • 230to175
    230to175 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb - I did what you said and I received a pop up comment box that stated they have recently revised the calories for men. Once I reset it, it took me up from 1,290 cal. to 1,500 cal. per day. Thanks for the tip. You just got me the 210 calories I needed to feel like I want starving everyday. Take care.
  • Disoy
    Disoy Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Your best bet is working it out yourself each week on the calculator on the website then changing it manually in "goals"
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    230to175 wrote: »
    rabbitjb - I did what you said and I received a pop up comment box that stated they have recently revised the calories for men. Once I reset it, it took me up from 1,290 cal. to 1,500 cal. per day. Thanks for the tip. You just got me the 210 calories I needed to feel like I want starving everyday. Take care.

Good-oh :smile:

How much do you have left to lose, because if it's under 75lbs you should drop your weekly goal accordingly which will also give you more calories

there's a chart somewhere - it's posted a lot but I can never find it

and good luck
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    Disoy wrote: »
    Your best bet is working it out yourself each week on the calculator on the website then changing it manually in "goals"

why on earth would you bother to do this?
  • Disoy
    Disoy Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Because when you get close to maintenance calories, being wrong by 100 each way can make a difference. If a week is to much then maybe each month. :D
  • Pootler74
    Pootler74 Posts: 223 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

why on earth would you bother to do this?

I used a few calculators to work out how many calories I should be eating. They all gave me more than MFP. I think MFP is a bit low on the calorie allowance, especially for those of us with more than a few pounds to lose. I changed my calorie settings manually. The amount I chose is working really well and I'm losing MORE than MFP predicted I would at their lower number.

That's a massive drop in calories. I would manually enter your own number and see how well it works for you.

Edit: Oh wait. Should have read more closely - yes, doing this EVERY WEEK is a bit over the top. Once every 5-10 pounds should be enough, depending on how much you have to lose.
  • Sued0nim
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Because when you get close to maintenance calories, being wrong by 100 each way can make a difference. If a week is to much then maybe each month. :D

Not had the problem .. from obese through to 3lbs off maintenance I've followed the MFP format and logged very carefully (both exercise and food) and it works for me

I think playing with the goal loss per week is important when you start dropping weight though .. making sure your target rate of loss remains relevant to your total amount to lose and you don't over-cut

I know some people like to cut from TDEE but I thought that was just a matter for personal preference