wasted nutrients

Options
bulbadoof
bulbadoof Posts: 1,058 Member
edited January 2015 in Food and Nutrition
if I eat, say, 700g of broccoli in one day and don't eat it for the rest of the week, will that have the same effect as eating 100g each day, or will most of the nutrients go to waste?

Replies

• cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    It depends on the nutrient. But for the most part, you are better off spacing it out. The human body can only process so much, for example, Vitamin C at one time. The rest of it you will pee out. (Hence VitC pills being called "expensive urine.") The fiber obviously won't store up, either--it'll go through your system and that's that.

The fat soluble vitamins (A, D, E, K) might work a little differently. I am thinking here of carotenemia--how if you eat too many carrots repeatedly over a long period of time, your fingers will start to turn orange because your body is stashing the beta carotene.
  • Slasher09
    Slasher09 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    ^^ditto
  • UnicornAmanda
    UnicornAmanda Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Space it out if you can...
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,924 Member
    Options
    It depends on the nutrient. But for the most part, you are better off spacing it out. The human body can only process so much, for example, Vitamin C at one time. The rest of it you will pee out. (Hence VitC pills being called "expensive urine.") The fiber obviously won't store up, either--it'll go through your system and that's that.

The fat soluble vitamins (A, D, E, K) might work a little differently. I am thinking here of carotenemia--how if you eat too many carrots repeatedly over a long period of time, your fingers will start to turn orange because your body is stashing the beta carotene.
    Basically this. Not to mention you'll be continuing to consume nutrients everyday going forward....... did the gas I put in my truck last week get used before the following two times when I added more?