Bad bodyweight form

Options
last night i finally tried day one of YAYOG, i'm not going to beat around the bush, it didn't go well

day one consisted of push ups from a knee high surfaces, let me in's, dips and let me ups

my push ups were shocking, i really struggled to keep myself straight, most of the time i didn't really get a full up and down motion and i had to stop early

the let me in's were relatively ok

the dips didn't go very well, my arms just couldn't support my body

now the let me ups were the real problem, i had been looking forward to doing these, i though i''d be good at them but i found myself very wrong, every time i tried to pull up i found myself really arching my back as i lifted myself up, and even then my face hardly came close to the bar

does anyone have any tips for me? i really want to make this work but right now i feel completely defeated

will my form get better the stronger i get or will carrying on like this just make it worse?

Replies

• AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Why on Earth would a program have you doing one of the most advanced pushup progressions when you likely can’t do a standard push up with good form? Scale the bits down until you find a version you can do and then as you build strength, move up the progression. For push ups, start with your knees on the ground if you must. Don’t go to a regular push up until you master the first with good form.
  • sloseph
    sloseph Posts: 157 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    sorry i've probably not worded that very well, when i say a push up at knee high i mean my hands a knee high like in this picture

untitled0212-copy-300x200.jpg
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you have a weak core.

Planks would probably be the thing that would be of most benefit to you right off the bat. If you can work up to a proper plank (with proper core engagement and positioning) for 60s then you'll notice a massive difference in your push ups...
  • zipa78
    zipa78 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Do wall pushups and vertical pullups until you can dish them out by the dozens. Planks and other core exercises will help, too.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    sloseph wrote: »
    will my form get better the stronger i get or will carrying on like this just make it worse?
    Your form will improve as you get stronger. You'll get stronger by sticking with your routine. Do what you can now and keep going.

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    You will get stronger as you go along. I agree that planks should help. Try using a higher surface for your pushups too--maybe a kitchen table. You could also use a set of stairs, if one is available. Test out a few steps to see which one is the right height and then as you improve, go down a stair at a time.

For dips--were you doing these off a bench? Try using one of the easier progressions here.
  • sloseph
    sloseph Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone, i will take a look at planks and try and stick at this

i'm not at all surprised i've got a week core, it's almost like not exercising and sitting at a desk for the last 8 years wasn't beneficial to my health
    jemhh wrote: »
    For dips--were you doing these off a bench? Try using one of the easier progressions here.

for the dips i had two garden chairs, one either side of me