Having trouble reaching my calorie goal

Options
I'm lean bulking and super brand new to the weight lifting game but hopefully I can get the help I can from you guys.

I'm 23, 5'9, 165lbs

My calorie goal is 3800
Carbs-626g
Protein-192g
Fats-64g

I seem to be hitting all my macros but can't reach my calorie goal( caloric surplus I think it's called). There are days where I pass my fat intake a bit as well. I'm a deployed solider and want to take my physical condition to the next level for my return home. My goal is to gain 12lbs in 12 weeks...

Obviously it's my food but I'd hate to start thinking it's the exercises I'm doing that's preventing me from having the body I want

Appreciate the help
Noa

Replies

• Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    I hate to tell you this but 12 lbs in 12 weeks won't be very lean gains. Have you determined your maintenance levels yet? 3800 seems high but if you are deployed into a combat unit I can see the need for some serious calories being needed just to maintain. But what type of surplus does 3800 give for you?

Also, what does your weight training program look like? Are you on a novice program like 5x5 or Starting Strength?
  • ortiz11c
    ortiz11c Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    God I feel like such a noob... You mind elaborating a little but more for my brand new *kitten* in the bodybuilding game. What do you mean by what kind of surplus does 3800 give me? It's 3850 calories to be exact. I'm infantry attached to a CAV unit, so there's a definite need for the calories.

My weight training program consist of 2 power days 2 rest day and 3 hypertrophy days. Not in that order of course.

Noa
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    You'll have a calorie amount that you can eat that you'll always be the same weight. That's your maintenance number. You just have to be in a surplus over this number by roughly 500cals/day and you'll gain roughly 1lb/week. That won't be all muscle, mind. Some will be fat, some will be increased bone density, some connective tissue, some muscle, extra unexpelled waste in your colon (you're eating more, so there's always more mass moving through your system) and fluid retention.

How exactly have you determined that calorie goal? If you've already determined your maintenance cals to be around 3300, then 3800ish will be perfect for you to gain 1lb/week. If you find after 2 weeks that you're not gaining at 1lb/week, then up your daily calories.

One final thing: you'll find your calorie goal to be a moving target as you get further into your bulk. People tend to have to keep adding as they go along. If it looks like your rate of gain is tailing off at any point, then add more calories and keep going.

• 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Definitely hit your calorie goal. Hitting a macro percentage is meaningless if you're not getting that surplus in.

Don't worry about going over on fat if it gets you there. Over on fat, is me everyday - I find it hard to hit my carb goal (and it's about half of yours!) but I hit my calories.
  • drepublic
    drepublic Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    That macro seems odd to me...fat is definitely low, may could up protein a little, but for carbs....start pounding sweet potatoes leading up to weight training workouts. After the workout maybe consider a carbohydrate powder in a postworkout shake, eat some white rice with honey with that shake. Many meals is key....
  • ortiz11c
    Options
    Hey everyone so sorry for he late response. Again I'm deployed so it takes time for me to response. But I spoke to a trainer and he put me on a 4300 calorie diet and my macros are: fats 48 grams, carbs 753 and protein 215 grams. I've gained 6 lbs(172lbs currently) since I've been on the diet and seen my strength go up. But can't really see a transformation in my body, bigger arms, chest, traps shoulders etc... Again this is just my bulk cycle, haven't started shredding yet obviously there's a difference but shouldn't I see some kind of bulk?

Noa
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    ortiz11c wrote: »
    Hey everyone so sorry for he late response. Again I'm deployed so it takes time for me to response. But I spoke to a trainer and he put me on a 4300 calorie diet and my macros are: fats 48 grams, carbs 753 and protein 215 grams. I've gained 6 lbs(172lbs currently) since I've been on the diet and seen my strength go up. But can't really see a transformation in my body, bigger arms, chest, traps shoulders etc... Again this is just my bulk cycle, haven't started shredding yet obviously there's a difference but shouldn't I see some kind of bulk?

Noa

why so little fat out of 4300 cals?
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

Noa

My fat goal is higher on 1800 cals.

Trainers don't know much about nutrition. Theyre trained and certified in training the muscles. Not feeding. They crank out a lot of broscience and crap.

That fat goal is ridiculously low and carbs are insane. I suggest listening to the advice the guys have given you her in the gaining weight section. MrM, njd, et al are pretty damn smart on this subject whereas that trainer isnt.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I agree, the fat seems a little low. Are you taking any progress pictures, or are you trying to judge just by what you see in the mirror? Our eyes lie to us, so I'd try tracking as many metrics as you can: use the scale, take measurements, and take progress photos (similar poses and lighting between each).
  • monikker
    monikker Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    How do you have access to that many calories every day if you are deployed (sorry if that's an ignorant question)?
  • auddii
    Options
    monikker wrote: »
    How do you have access to that many calories every day if you are deployed (sorry if that's an ignorant question)?

The military feeds their soldiers?
  • se015
    se015 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    I'm lean bulking and super brand new to the weight lifting game but hopefully I can get the help I can from you guys.

I'm 23, 5'9, 165lbs

My calorie goal is 3800
    Carbs-626g
    Protein-192g
    Fats-64g

I seem to be hitting all my macros but can't reach my calorie goal( caloric surplus I think it's called). There are days where I pass my fat intake a bit as well. I'm a deployed solider and want to take my physical condition to the next level for my return home. My goal is to gain 12lbs in 12 weeks...

Obviously it's my food but I'd hate to start thinking it's the exercises I'm doing that's preventing me from having the body I want

Appreciate the help
    Noa

Exercise should be main compound lifts; Bench press, Military press, Rows, Shrugs, Squats, and Deadlifts. Some do pull ups and dips with weights attached, highly recommended if you can do your body weight. I think 3800 is a ton, but defintley a caloric surplus for sure. How long have you been following this calorie plan? Also how often are you training, you might be training too much, believe it or not, in the world of bulking and becoming big and strong, we don't train OFTEN, we train smart and intense. Also maybe layoff cardio exercises for awhile. If you have any other questions don't hesitate to message me.
  • Nickers5405
    Nickers5405 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    You could be holding 6 lbs of water weight for all you know lol
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options

Depending on the camp they will have some major chains like Burger King as well as the mess hall, which is usually an all-you-can-eat cafeteria style dinning room.
  • monikker
    monikker Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »

Right but 4000 calories...that's a lot of food. As in snacks, shakes, big meals and...I don't know how I'd fit that much food in if my access to food wasn't unlimited

• ortiz11c
    Options

Noa

So it's supposed to be a lean bulk
  • ortiz11c
    Options
    I agree, the fat seems a little low. Are you taking any progress pictures, or are you trying to judge just by what you see in the mirror? Our eyes lie to us, so I'd try tracking as many metrics as you can: use the scale, take measurements, and take progress photos (similar poses and lighting between each).

Yea I've taken pics but haven't been tracking any tape measurements
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options

Noa

So it's supposed to be a lean bulk

Fat doesn't make you fat.
  • ortiz11c
    Options

Right but 4000 calories...that's a lot of food. As in snacks, shakes, big meals and...I don't know how I'd fit that much food in if my access to food wasn't unlimited

This isn't WW2 I'm not on a tuna fish, crackers and cigarette diet lol. They feed us and we do have a dining facility.... It's 2015... Thank god for american civilian support I guess lol

• auddii
    Options

This isn't WW2 I'm not on a tuna fish, crackers and cigarette diet lol. They feed us and we do have a dining facility.... It's 2015... Thank god for american civilian support I guess lol

As an American civilian, I'm horrified you aren't eating out of a tin. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

And I agree that fat won't make you fat; you limit the amount of fat gained by optimizing your lifting plan for your goals and eating at a moderate surplus (many people recommend optimal ratios of fat to muscle gain at 1lb/week).

Good luck with your bulk and thank you for your service!