Meal Plan Ideas???

Options
I really need to start following a meal plan. If left to my own devices I will go carb-crazy! Anyone have any tips on how to create a good, somewhat flexible meal plan for a vegetarian (no meat, dairy, eggs, but will eat fish)? I am at a loss here...If I try to figure something out myself, its either too little food or the same thing every single day and I get bored really quickly.

Replies

• sabrinafaith
    sabrinafaith Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Do you like canned tuna, sardines, and salmon???? Quinoa, whole wheat orzo????
  • AlynnP1005
    AlynnP1005 Posts: 195
    Options
    I only like tuna when its in a spicy tuna roll, and I really dont like sardines. I love fresh salmon, love quinoa, dont think I have ever tried orzo but I am willing :) lol
  • cesse47
    cesse47 Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    Alynn, I have a friend who follows (mostly, lol) a vegetarian plan. She started by using ideas from a couple she found online ... then adapted them into her own plan. I remember one and will past the link below. Good Luck :flowerforyou:

http://www.eatingwell.com/nutrition_health/weight_loss_diet_plans/diet_meal_plans/vegetarian_meal_plan
  • AlynnP1005
    Options
    Ooh, thank you! Checking it out now :)
  • UltimateLover
    UltimateLover Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    bumping for later :D
  • sabrinafaith
    Options
    You could poach salmon and eat it with a side salad or roasted asparagus for lunches. I love that as a cold lunch.

You can make quinoa with some orange juice, saffron, lemon grind, toasted slivered almonds, and dried cherries.

You can eat sushi with brown rice rather than white, but I limit that to 2 rolls per meal with a green salad or edemame.

Sauteed Trout (using Pam spray) with rosemary, thyme, and pepper with vegetable and whole wheat orzo as a side.

You wouldn't eat seared tuna? like in a salad????
  • AlynnP1005
    Options

You wouldn't eat seared tuna? like in a salad????

LOL Nope, I really dont like it if its cooked....as sushi, either alone or in a roll, I love it. Heat it up and I dont like it....my boyfriend makes fun of me for it all the time lol
  • sabrinafaith
    Options
    I actually understand that because I don't like cooked tuna either. Raw or canned only.

How about tilapia dipped in panko crumbs and baked????
  • sabrinafaith
    Options
    You can also make a salad with edemame, light firm tofu, broccoli, baby carrots, peppers, and japanese dressing as a lunch. If you add small roll or piece of whole wheat toast, that is actually a pretty good vegetarian lunch.
  • sabrinafaith
    Options
    I think that salad sounded so good that I may make one for myself. lol
  • cattiemac
    cattiemac Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I am on a similar diet and I make a meal plan each week so that (1) I can figure out what groceries I need so that I don't waste food and (2) don't come home from work/the gym starving and not know what to make for supper and then grab the quickest thing possible. I like to mix it up a bit so each week I try out new recipes either from cookbooks or websites (my fave sites are cookinglight.com, eatingwell.com and recipezaar.com). I usually make a point of trying out 2 new recipes and then if I like what I've made I add them to the rotation. For the other days I have certain standbys and favorites. Do you eat shellfish? If so, on days when I'm pressed for time one of my favorite things to do is make garlic shrimp (buy frozen, raw shrimp and thaw them and mix with garlic and then cook in a frying pan for 4 minutes) along with a veggie and sweet potato. I also always have tortilla shells on hand because I like to put things together to make a sandwich or a quesadilla.

Here are some recipes you might like:

Sunday May 30 - Slow Cooker Lentil & Quinoa Stew (freezes well)
    6 servings

Ingredients
    2 cups brown lentils
    1/2 cup quinoa
    7-1/2 cups water
    1-2 medium potatoes, diced
    1/2 small sweet potato, diced
    2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
    1 teas wheat-free tamari (or soy sauce if you aren’t on a wheat-free diet)
    2 tablespoons miso
    2 tablespoons tomato paste
    mixed herbs (any of: oregano, thyme, tarragon, marjoram, sage, cumin)

Instructions
    1. Rinse and drain lentils, being sure to pick through them to make sure there are no stones. Rinse and drain quinoa. Add to slow cooker.
    2. Dice potatoes and sweet potato, and chop garlic. Add to slow cooker along with herbs (dried or fresh and finely chopped), tomato paste and 6 cups of the water.
    3. Cook on high for 3-1/2 to 4 hours. When the stew thickens and cooks down after about 2.5 hours add 1 additional cup water. Usually the lentils and quinoa will cook before the potatoes do, and potato cooking time will vary depending on how big the pieces are. Once everything is cooked, turn off the heat, add tamari and let set a further half hour.
    4. Mix the miso and remaining 1/2 cup of water, then add to the stew and mix well.

Chunky Pepper Pasta Sauce (this freezes well and I serve it over pasta or over spaghetti squash)
    4 servings

Ingredients
    1 cup chopped onions
    1 cup chopped sweet red peppers
    1 tablespoon minced garlic
    1 teaspoon olive oil
    5 cups chopped tomatoes
    1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
    2 tablespoons chopped parsley

Directions
    In a Dutch oven, combine the onions, peppers, garlic, and oil. Cook, stirring, over medium-high heat for 5 minutes, or until soft but not browned. Add the tomatoes and oregano. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes, or until thick. Add the parsley and stir well.

Mexican Recipe
    3 servings

Ingredients
    1 can of black beans
    4 Tbsp. salsa
    Frozen corn
    Onion
    Grated cheddar cheese (optional)
    Sour cream (optional)

Directions
    1. Heat black beans, salsa, frozen corn and onion in frying pan.
    2. Serve over quinoa, rice, cous cous or in a tortilla shell. Add cheese and sour cream (optional).

Chickpea Curry With Cashews
    2 servings

Ingredients
    1/3 tablespoons cornstarch
    1/2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth, divided
    1/3 tablespoons canola oil
    1/4 onion, chopped
    1/3 tablespoons curry powder
    1/4 teaspoons salt
    1/4 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
    1 cup chickpeas
    1/4 cups unsalted cashews, coarsely chopped
    2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro

1. Whisk the cornstarch in a small bowl with enough of the broth to dissolve. Set aside.
    2. Combine the oil, onion, curry powder, salt, and pepper in a large skillet over medium heat. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until the onion is softened.
    3. Add the remaining broth to the pan along with the reserved cornstarch mixture. Cook, whisking constantly, until thickened. Add the chickpeas and cashews. Simmer for 5 minutes for the flavors to blend. Stir in the cilantro.

Lentil & Bean Casserole with quinoa
    2 servings

Ingredients
    1 tsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
    1 medium onion, chopped
    1 cup kidney beans, drained
    1 cup lentils, drained
    1 cup diced tomatoes, drained
    1/4 tsp dried thyme
    Dash pepper
    Shredded cheese

Directions
    1. In flameproof casserole, heat oil over medium heat; cook onion until softened.
    2. Add beans, lentils, tomatoes, thyme and pepper. Stir and break up tomatoes with back of spoon. Bring to simmer.
    3. Sprinkle with cheese; broil until cheese melts.

Mexican Style Chickpeas
    2 servings

Ingredients
    2 cups Chickpeas
    1 plum tomato, chopped
    2 1/4 tsp. chili powder
    1 tsp garlic powder
    1 onion, chopped

Directions
    1. Saute all ingredients in a large frying pan over medium high heat for 5 minutes.
    2. Add a little water if necessary, to prevent sticking. Serve over quinoa, rice or cous cous.

Couscous with Chickpeas, Tomatoes, and Edamame
    2 servings

Ingredients
    1 tsp olive oil
    1/3 cup Edamame (green, shelled soy beans), fresh or frozen
    1/6 teaspoon crushed red pepper
    1 cloves garlic, minced
    3/4 cups water, divided
    Dash basil
    2/3 cups chickpeas, canned, drained and rinsed
    1/2 14 1/2 ounce tomatoes, canned, diced, undrained
    Dash salt
    1/3 cup couscous, uncooked
    2/3 cups green onions, coarsely chopped

Directions
    1. Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add edamame, red pepper and garlic. Cook 3 minutes, stirring frequently.
    2. Stir in half of the water, basil, chickpeas, and tomatoes; simmer 15 minutes.
    3. Add the rest of the water and salt; bring to a boil.
    4. Gradually stir in couscous. Remove from heat; cover and let stand 5 minutes.
    5. Stir in onions and toss well.

Curried Chickpeas
    4 servings

Ingredients
    Medium onion, chopped
    Medium green pepper, chopped
    1 ½ cups chick peas
    1 Tbsp curry

Directions
    Sauté onions and peppers, add a can of chick peas, salt & pepper to taste & the curry powder. Sauté for about 5 minutes and serve over brown rice, cous cous or quinoa.

Honey Glazed Tofu
    2 servings

Ingredients
    250 g. pkg. extra-firm tofu
    1 dash cracked black pepper
    1/2 tsp. dried thyme
    1 dash salt
    3 tsp EVOO
    2 Tbsp honey

Directions
    1. Place tofu between two plates and set heavy pot on top. Drain 10 minutes, and pat dry. Cut tofu into 3/8-inch-thick slices. Combine pepper, thyme, and salt in small bowl. Coat tofu slices with pepper mixture, and set aside.
    2. Heat oil and honey in large skillet over medium-high heat until bubbling. Place tofu in pan, and cook 3 minutes. Turn, and cook 3 minutes more, spooning thickening sauce over tofu.

Tofu & Broccoli Stir-fry
    Serves 2

Ingredients
    Broccoli
    2 cloves garlic
    1 tbsp rice vinegar
    200 grams firm tofu
    1 tbsp corn starch
    1.5 tbsp lite tamari sauce
    Handful of unsalted, roasted cashews

Directions
    1. Arrange tofu in a single layer on a baking sheet lined with several layers of paper towels. Top with more paper towels and another baking sheet; weight with canned goods. Let tofu drain, about 20 minutes.
    2. Meanwhile, cook broccoli (stalks and florets) in a large pot of boiling salted water until bright green, 2 minutes. Drain; set aside.
    3. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add tofu; cook until golden brown, turning gently halfway through, 10 to 15 minutes. Transfer to paper towels.
    4. Meanwhile, make sauce: In a small bowl, whisk together soy sauce, vinegar, red-pepper flakes, garlic, cornstarch, and 3/4 cup water; set aside.
    5. Add broccoli to skillet; cook over high heat, stirring often, until crisp-tender, 2 to 3 minutes. Whisk reserved sauce to combine; pour into pan. Return tofu to pan; stir to coat, about 1 minute more. Serve topped with cashews.

That should be a good start. If you try any of these and like them let me know because I have other recipes that I could share with you. You could add me as a friend on here and I can send me along.
  • AlynnP1005
    Options
    You can also make a salad with edemame, light firm tofu, broccoli, baby carrots, peppers, and japanese dressing as a lunch. If you add small roll or piece of whole wheat toast, that is actually a pretty good vegetarian lunch.

That salad sounds really yummy....I have an orange-ginger vinagrette that would be yum on it :) Yay, supper! lol
  • AlynnP1005
    Options
    Cattiemac - thank you for the awesome recipes! I am going to try some for sure!
  • lilay
    lilay Posts: 122
    Options
    bump, so I can read this all later :)
  • coronalime
    coronalime Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    That is a GREAT link!