Terrible Takeaways

I'm a young man of 19 living at home with my parents whilst working long hours (out of my house from 6-6 with commuting) I have a very physical job and train for an hour - 2 hours 4 nights a week. I am considerably overweight and have been for several years, and I feel my bad habits at home are causing me problems. I eat well through the day and come home not wanting to cook. In a household of 4 we all work similar hours and often find ourselves ordering takeaways at the end of a long day. I do not want to pressure my family into cooking as they are fine with their habits but I'm just looking for some simple suggestions as to a few healthier take away food options that are just as tasty and filling! Hope you can help!
Lee

Replies

• Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    edited January 2015
    Do a big meal prep on the weekends and stock your fridge for the week. Alternately, eat less of the take always you like.

You are 19, you shouldn't be expecting your parents to cook for you, especially if they have different dietary goals/needs.
  • TLB86
    TLB86 Posts: 275 Member
    How about suggesting kebab takeout and having chicken shish with pitta? Mind you it can be hard to resist the meal deal with chips BUT it is healthier and manageable to put into your calorie allowance.

Also Chinese - order a dish with a side dish of sprouts or vegetables. Again I can't resist the salt and chilli prepped stuff at times :wink:
  • SwankyTomato
    SwankyTomato Posts: 442 Member
    Do you eat breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks throughout day? You have to balance it out. It takes time, but just go simple with meal making/planning.

I am almost 50 and still hate the meal plan, shop, cook and I am at home at the moment, lol.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited January 2015
    I agree that you should consider cooking a dish or two on your day off and keeping it in the refrigerator or freeze single servings that you can microwave when you get home. (better on the budget too)
  • LeeBrooksx
    LeeBrooksx Posts: 3 Member
    Just to add, I do regularly take my turn in making meals for the family. This isn't purely laziness as I'm assuming some may think. I'm just trying to get some help for the nights when I don't get home till 8:30-9 after training and such. I usually consume 4-5 well balanced small meals/snacks through the day which I prepare for myself and often my sibling daily.
  • kimztq
    kimztq Posts: 1
    Generally, take out food is very high in calorie. Try fresh fruits and veggies to add to the take out and cut the portions of the take out. You must burn the calories you are putting in.
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    LeeBrooksx wrote: »
    Just to add, I do regularly take my turn in making meals for the family. This isn't purely laziness as I'm assuming some may think. I'm just trying to get some help for the nights when I don't get home till 8:30-9 after training and such. I usually consume 4-5 well balanced small meals/snacks through the day which I prepare for myself and often my sibling daily.

You can cook! Excellent. Prep on the weekends so you have something ready to eat when you come home late during the week. If something is already in the fridge, you will be less tempted to get a take out.