"cheat" meals and "free" days.

Options

Replies

• trying4real
    trying4real Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Date night is when I dont worry about it, I log it but not as concerned as the rest of the time.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Most Saturdays are sorta like that for my husband and I, and like you I still log but over-log most times.

Favorite options? Mexican brunch (huevos whatever style) or a ridiculous cream cheese filled fresh donut and coffee in the AM. Later in the day, Thai, Vietnamese, or maybe a juicy burger and some ice cream after. I'm typically a 3-meals-per-day eater but a lot of the time Saturday = just two bigger meals day for me, which is easy since I wake later.

We usually get in more exercise on Saturday than other days, so it works out.
  • SweetPegasai
    SweetPegasai Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Weekends in general tend to be my slacker says. I tend to not plan them as much as I do during the week. This is mostly because I'm usually not in environments that I can control as much (game days that are more potluck than anything else, eating out wherever sounds good when we get hungry, etc.). However, on weekends I'm also able to enjoy longer workouts since I'm not fighting sundown. I do still track food though so I know where I am.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    I don't overly restrict myself at all on any day, so I have nothing to cheat on.

I also don't really worry about days where I go over my goal...there are usually a few days a week that I'm under, so no big deal, it all evens out.

I kind of feel like the Cheat Day/Cheat Meal mentality leads to a mindset that could make long term maintenance harder.
  • kaseyr1505
    kaseyr1505 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    No, I eat in moderation and don't feel the need to cheat, or not log. Worst case scenario is I gain a few pounds in bloat.
  • megalita21
    megalita21 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I don't like to plan them. I usually only have them when I really need them, like today a friend called and asked me to go out to lunch so I will probably go over my allotted calories today. If I plan them every week I tend to give up because I get too overwhelmed with waiting til Sunday. I want my eating habits to be more of an everyday lifestyle then a diet to earn a cheat day.
  • BeTheChange352
    BeTheChange352 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I cheat on the weekends but I try not to go crazy, log everything the best as I can and try to stay around TDEE calories.
  • KellyeBel5
    Options
    I hate to even call them that; it's kinda implying you are doing something immoral and bad. Perhaps I should refer to this as "The days when I am going to eat things or portions I normally do not now."

Do any of you do them? Do you do a meal, or a whole day? How often? Once a week, month, etc.

Personally, I do enjoy having a day where I just don't worry about weighing food, measuring out portions, etc. etc. Granted, I still log, but I actually attempt to over-guess, so that it does reflect on my weight loss.

Anyway, if you participate, whats your favorite thing to "go off the grid" with? I love a huge-*kitten* Mexican dinner with the cheese dip, guacamole, chips, something covered in sauce, and a huge margarita.

Now yours.....andddddd GO!

• funsteps
    funsteps Posts: 74 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I found that in the past, those "cheat days" are what have derailed me... One day turned into two, turned into a week, turned into months. They work for some people, just not me, so I've decided to nix them. I searched high and low for low calorie treats that feel worth while, and I work those into my daily plans. I never feel deprived. Sometimes I'm forced into eating poorly when I travel for work- I end up dependent on other people to get to food, stuck with what has been ordered to feed us on the job site, etc- that's the closest I get to "cheat meals."
  • shreddedtrooper
    shreddedtrooper Posts: 107 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Leptin levels, monitoring: calculated refeeds
    Macros
    Calorie Dense vs Nutrional Dense

Make wise choices.

Gone is the day of the bro-science and clean eating or healthy eating, such limited terms in a vast trolling environment. Long live science

So do i cheat or have free days and how often. I do it everytime i want to jeapordize my goals, otherwise, live and be happy and fit it in when you can and hit micros along w/Macros and fiber.
    Happy Friday #teamdebauchery
  • KellyeBel5
    Options
    I love fried chicken wings with Texas Pete hot sauce and fries with a 6 or 9 oz glass of Chardonnay
  • KellyeBel5
    Options
    KellyeBel5 wrote: »
    I love fried chicken wings with Texas Pete hot sauce and fries with a 6 or 9 oz glass of Chardonnay

• shreddedtrooper
    shreddedtrooper Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Have not 'cheated' since I never deprive myself - if I want something, I fit it in. I still rarely go over 1300 -- usually ~1250 (yes, I weigh *everything* that goes in my mouth if made at home, including lettuce! I'm below my goal enough most times that I don't sweat dinners out. Still count the calories but understand it's probably not completely accurate)... until last night. Husband met a big goal so we went to a Brazilian Steakhouse to celebrate. Ate less than 200 calories before dinner and told myself I'd sample everything and even have dessert!

Made it through ~8oz meat and some cheese rolls before I was so full I was *ill*. STILL feel nasty today. I can't even look at food, and feel like my stomach is full of rocks. I'm all puffy from the likely insane amount of sodium. I've had nothing but my 90 calorie morning coffee and even that was enough to send me back to 'urrrgh' territory.

Never again XD

:( This sounds awful. How can that be sustainable?

*arrow pointing up. "this!"

agreed, how can that be sustainable.. yikes and yikes
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    Have not 'cheated' since I never deprive myself - if I want something, I fit it in. I still rarely go over 1300 -- usually ~1250 (yes, I weigh *everything* that goes in my mouth if made at home, including lettuce! I'm below my goal enough most times that I don't sweat dinners out. Still count the calories but understand it's probably not completely accurate)... until last night. Husband met a big goal so we went to a Brazilian Steakhouse to celebrate. Ate less than 200 calories before dinner and told myself I'd sample everything and even have dessert!

Made it through ~8oz meat and some cheese rolls before I was so full I was *ill*. STILL feel nasty today. I can't even look at food, and feel like my stomach is full of rocks. I'm all puffy from the likely insane amount of sodium. I've had nothing but my 90 calorie morning coffee and even that was enough to send me back to 'urrrgh' territory.

Never again XD

:( This sounds awful. How can that be sustainable?

*arrow pointing up. "this!"

agreed, how can that be sustainable.. yikes and yikes
    Could one of you two stop being vague with your "this" and "that" and take the time to point out what is so "yikes" About this post? K thanks
  • bigd66218
    bigd66218 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Since I joined, no cheat meals or days.....Before I ate everything in sight :)
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    I hate to even call them that; it's kinda implying you are doing something immoral and bad. Perhaps I should refer to this as "The days when I am going to eat things or portions I normally do not now."

Do any of you do them? Do you do a meal, or a whole day? How often? Once a week, month, etc.

Personally, I do enjoy having a day where I just don't worry about weighing food, measuring out portions, etc. etc. Granted, I still log, but I actually attempt to over-guess, so that it does reflect on my weight loss.

Anyway, if you participate, whats your favorite thing to "go off the grid" with? I love a huge-*kitten* Mexican dinner with the cheese dip, guacamole, chips, something covered in sauce, and a huge margarita.

Now yours.....andddddd GO!

holly I did it many ways when I was dieting to lose weight. After nothing working over my life time I finally decided to develop an eating lifestyle that automatically controls my weight. Now I find no reason to cheat on my health in my case any longer after the sugar addiction left. Those who have never had 40 years of sugar addiction may not even grasp the concept/fact of sugar addition just like I do grasp the concept/fact of many other types of addictions.
  • allenpriest
    allenpriest Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    I don't use those terms. I'm a grownup, making a grownup decision to eat something I want.

THIS!!!
  • ava5764
    ava5764 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I had my cheat day yesterday, had 2 portions of tandoori chicken, deep fried fish with rice, beef kebab, naan, a bag of chips, some breads with condensed milk. I was still craving for pizza after that but realized my stomach was really messy haha.
  • lostinwebspace
    lostinwebspace Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I have a cheat day once a week but stay in my calorie allotment. Every so often--every three months or so--I don't worry. That's coming up next weekend. Wife wants to do a buffet.
  • CynthiasChoice
    CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    funsteps wrote: »
    I found that in the past, those "cheat days" are what have derailed me... One day turned into two, turned into a week, turned into months. They work for some people, just not me, so I've decided to nix them.

Ditto!