Whole-food, dairy-free vegetarian--trouble meeting daily protein grams.

Options
2»

Replies

• quickcrx702
    quickcrx702 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Nutritional yeast is the first thing that comes to mind. It's very high in protein, and it adds a lot of flavor. It's just yeast, so it's probably much less processed than a protein powder. Some people describe it as having a cheesy taste, and some fake cheeses are made with it. I wouldn't go that far, but it does taste pretty good. Other than that, lentils have a ton of protein.
  • RealLifeDaria
    RealLifeDaria Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    lynn1982 wrote: »
    Apologies if this has been covered:
    Do you eat eggs? (You said vegetarian, not vegan...) If you do, more eggs? The only meat protein I eat is eggs. I have a dairy allergy and simply feel better when I don't eat meat. I don't eat soy either since it upsets my stomach. My main sources of protein are: eggs, hemp seeds, plant-based protein powders (although I don't rely on these), lentils, other beans/legumes (but mostly lentils since they're super easy to cook up). I usually get between 60-90 grams of protein a day with those as my main protein sources...
    How many cals a day do you try to hit, if you don't mind me asking?

• RealLifeDaria
    Options
    Nutritional yeast is the first thing that comes to mind. It's very high in protein, and it adds a lot of flavor. It's just yeast, so it's probably much less processed than a protein powder. Some people describe it as having a cheesy taste, and some fake cheeses are made with it. I wouldn't go that far, but it does taste pretty good. Other than that, lentils have a ton of protein.
    Never thought of nutritional yeast for protein! I have some on hand as I used to like to add it to my eggs. Don't know why I stopped...it's a great idea and I should start again.
  • 42carrots
    42carrots Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Cereal makes a pretty great snack, too!

In that case I definitely suggest making scrambled egg muffins, you can keep them in the fridge or freezer and just heat them up in the morning. I tweaked my recipe a few times, these are pretty amazing (you'd just want to omit the cheese, which would only bring it down a gram or two in terms of protein)

I use silicone muffin tins and find that they don't need to be oiled at all, if I loosen them right away they don't stick, cook at 350C for 20-25 minutes, or so. If you just have a regular muffin tray you may want to grease the pan. I just cut the tofu into planks and stick them on the bottom and then mix everything else together and pour it in. Not sure whether you eat tofu, you could omit it or use tempeh, or lentils, or anything you want, really, this recipe is really flexible and kind of fool proof.

6ypmnt8urvac.jpg
  • 42carrots
    Options
    Just realized that the bottom of the nutritional info got cut off, they each have 13g of protein

Protein 13 g 25 %
    Vitamin A 38 %
    Vitamin C 56 %
    Calcium 19 %
    Iron 13 %
  • slvrsrfr
    slvrsrfr Posts: 45 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Others have given great ideas. Beans and grains, though I don't think you
    should be overly concerned about protein. Falafel, hummus and other
    beans plus grains at every meal and you'll do fine.

Btw, I applaud your vegetarianism for ethical reasons, however, I'd argue
    that eggs or the hens they came from are probably the worst treated animal in our animal agricultural complex outside of veal, gestation crates (pigs) or foie gras. Just something to think about :smile:

Speaking as a vegan of 25 years.
  • RealLifeDaria
    Options
    42carrots wrote: »
    Cereal makes a pretty great snack, too!

In that case I definitely suggest making scrambled egg muffins, you can keep them in the fridge or freezer and just heat them up in the morning. I tweaked my recipe a few times, these are pretty amazing (you'd just want to omit the cheese, which would only bring it down a gram or two in terms of protein)

I use silicone muffin tins and find that they don't need to be oiled at all, if I loosen them right away they don't stick, cook at 350C for 20-25 minutes, or so. If you just have a regular muffin tray you may want to grease the pan. I just cut the tofu into planks and stick them on the bottom and then mix everything else together and pour it in. Not sure whether you eat tofu, you could omit it or use tempeh, or lentils, or anything you want, really, this recipe is really flexible and kind of fool proof.

6ypmnt8urvac.jpg

This. Looks. AMAZING. Thank you so much--will definitely be making these AND making a whole batch will save me cooking time in the morning! Double whammy!
  • RealLifeDaria
    Options
    slvrsrfr wrote: »
    Others have given great ideas. Beans and grains, though I don't think you
    should be overly concerned about protein. Falafel, hummus and other
    beans plus grains at every meal and you'll do fine.

Btw, I applaud your vegetarianism for ethical reasons, however, I'd argue
    that eggs or the hens they came from are probably the worst treated animal in our animal agricultural complex outside of veal, gestation crates (pigs) or foie gras. Just something to think about :smile:

Speaking as a vegan of 25 years.
    It *is* an issue, which is why I mentioned I only eat organic, pastured eggs and limit myself to 2/day (in part because pastured eggs are $$$$, and in part because I think minimizing the consumption of any/all animal products is worthwhile). Everyone has their own comfort level, though.

• luluinca
    luluinca Posts: 2,899 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I'm not a vegetarian but can't tolerate whey so drink Nutribiotic rice protein powder mixed with frozen blueberries and greek yogurt. It's only 110 calories for 18 grams of protein for half the dose of protein but including the fruit and yogurt. You could use almond milk instead of yogurt or a soy yogurt. The protein has all the essential amino acids.
  • 42carrots
    Options
    I found hemp protein powder in the Bulk Barn (Canadian bulk store), I don't usually use protein powder but wanted to try to make homemade vegan protein bars, I was actually looking for pea protein but they only had hemp. It's actually not bad, pretty tasteless and inoffensive in recipes. Texture may be gritty in a smoothie, haven't tried that yet.
  • 42carrots
    Options
    This is the protein cookie recipe I came up with, for anyone who is curious. It turned out pretty good but next time I'd probably ground the oats first (though not necessary) and either way reduce the spirulina or omit it, too bitter tasting.

ahib0k2zvibb.jpg
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    If you like a warm breakfast, how about oatmeal? Can you supplement with whey powder?

It's going to continue to be hard consider all the rules you've made for yourself. It will take extra creativity on your part.
  • 42carrots
    Options
    whey is derived from dairy.
  • RealLifeDaria
    Options
    I found hemp protein powder in the Bulk Barn (Canadian bulk store), I don't usually use protein powder but wanted to try to make homemade vegan protein bars, I was actually looking for pea protein but they only had hemp. It's actually not bad, pretty tasteless and inoffensive in recipes. Texture may be gritty in a smoothie, haven't tried that yet.
    Yes, hemp protein powder in smoothies has always ended up gritty for me.

• Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    Yes, hemp protein powder in smoothies has always ended up gritty for me.

They are. I currently have Amazing Meal, which has hemp, Brown rice, sprouted quinoa, and, pumpkin seed in it. It's gritty. I'm going to go back to soy protein. At 20grams/100 calories, and a really decent price at Earth Fare, I don't think I'm going to find any better. OP I know you don't do much soy, I hope you find something that works for you!
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    whey is derived from dairy.

True, but it is usually the lactose in dairy products that causes digestive issues, which is what the OP said was her reason for avoiding dairy. Whey protein isolate does not contain lactose. I am lactose intolerant and used whey powered for years with no problems.

OP, do you like soybeans? I often buy the frozen ones and steam them with a little sea salt. Lots of protein and iron, too.

I also make a lot of bean soups and chilis that are low cal and high in protein and fibre.
  • fatboyliz
    fatboyliz Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    One cup of kale has like 2g protein - I know it isn't a lot, but I find little bits help! I like making fried kale chips and also blend it into smoothies. I am a vegetarian and struggle with protein too! Love all of these suggestions.

Also here is another overnight oats recipe:

Mash one banana in a bowl
    Mix in: 45g oats, 2 teaspoons chia seeds, 150ml almond milk and 75ml water.
    Leave overnight and eat cold or heat it up the next morning! (I like it heated)

Approx. 350 cals, 12g protein, 9g fibre. It makes a big bowl so I usually eat half - three quarters of it. Keeps me full for ages...you could also add some protein powder if you wanted.
  • GingerbreadCandy
    GingerbreadCandy Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    What is with the hate against oysters? Oysters are delicious!

When I was a vegetarian, I would get most my protein through legumes. Tofu helps as well. :smile:
  • moleigh5708
    moleigh5708 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    beans
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    lynn1982 wrote: »
    Apologies if this has been covered:
    Do you eat eggs? (You said vegetarian, not vegan...) If you do, more eggs? The only meat protein I eat is eggs. I have a dairy allergy and simply feel better when I don't eat meat. I don't eat soy either since it upsets my stomach. My main sources of protein are: eggs, hemp seeds, plant-based protein powders (although I don't rely on these), lentils, other beans/legumes (but mostly lentils since they're super easy to cook up). I usually get between 60-90 grams of protein a day with those as my main protein sources...
    How many cals a day do you try to hit, if you don't mind me asking?

Just saw this now - my maintenance calories are just over 1400. (I am very short...) If I work out (which I do most days) then I eat more. I eat more protein than MFP suggests though. It's just what works for me.